Removing the Center Console

mikeregister

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
Figured I'd do a write up of how to remove the center console in case anyone ever needs too. It was very simple all you need is a thin flat head screw drier (for prying) and a phillips screw driver to remove the 6 screws holding it in place.

THIS IS FOR AUTOMATIC MODELS. It's probably the same for the most part for manuals.

First thing you want to do is go ahead and remove the shift knob by spinning it counter clockwise,

Next make sure you go ahead and unsnap the cover that is around the Emergency Brake handle.

Now go ahead and get your flat head screw driver and pry off the piece around the shifter (see picture below)

scaled.php

Once you pop off this piece you will see a wire attached go ahead and disconnect it (it is a wire the powers the light that displays the gears)

Now that this is off go ahead and and take out the 4 screws that you exposed and remove the support piece held on by the rear two screws) (see picture below)

scaled.php

Open up the console and where your 12V charger and USB/AUX ports are you can easily pull that piece towards the rear of the car and it should pop off easily, if not use your flat head to pry it back once you get that off go ahead and take off the two wires attached.

scaled.php

There is a wire that runs underneath the console (not sure what it is for) but if you lift the rubber out of the cub holder you will see a little notch go ahead and poke it with your screw driver. Be careful when you bull your console up there are a few more of this underneath but, I was able to sit mine on the drivers seat without removing them all.

Next you will need to move the two front seats all the way forward and go in to the back seat you will see two caps on the back part of the console on the left and right side. Pry these off from the top or bottom with your thin flat head and remove the two screws under them.

scaled.php

You can also removed the back piece of the console by prying it off with your flat head (this is not necessary to remove the console) (see picture below)

scaled.php

After all of this you are ready to remove your console by simply lifting it up and moving it up and over your emergency brake.

scaled.php

As crazy as it seems I once made my own center console air condition vents and did my own ducts going to them in my old truck to help keep the kid cooled off in the back seat and everyone thought it was stock when they saw it. I wanted to see if it would be possible to do here (I know, who would do this too a brand new vehicle?!) But, anyway doesn't look like its going to happen kind of tight under there. Not sure I was going to do it either way. I just wanted to take something apart. I have no life.

Can you take some pictures and describe the operation ? (wow)
Where did you connect the other vents?

if you take more pictures for reference, i'm curious about the side views of the shifter area without the plastic console covers. i've been contemplating if it's possible to install a custom gear shift lock there.

Is there a way to separate the inside of the console from the outside? I want to mount something inside the console, but I don't want the bolts going all the way through the side.

Great Post! Thanks.

It would be great if mazda made a cup-holder accessory to replace the back piece of the console since the sport models don't have rear cup holders. Cost=$1/ea, Retail=$20/ea?

interesting, would be nice if there was an easy way to add some ducting for ac/heat should be easy to tap into the power socket and add additional socket on the back of the console for rear seat pax

Hi,
I cannot view the photos, could someone tell me how I can access these photos?
Thank you

id love a update to this for 2016 . i need to run rca from passenger side to driver side . i wonder if i can get the rca under it without removing it . guess ill have to find out lol .

Anyone have pictures on how to remove on a 2016? looking to replace the shift boot and add usb plugs for the rear

I also need help removing the center console on the 2016. At least enough to work on replacing the USB/AUX port.

Thanks silverevo5. I ran across this at some point, but it looks like the best we're gonna get for now.

Anyone with a 2016 figure this out yet?

Called my dealer and I can get ahold of a full service manual for the 2016 for around $350... It would be physical format only though, not digital, which is unfortunate.

Anyone have pictures on how to remove on a 2016? looking to replace the shift boot and add usb plugs for the rear
I also need help removing the center console on the 2016. At least enough to work on replacing the USB/AUX port.

I decided to just try it on my 2016... and figured it out! Actually is easier than I expected, after I figured out the command knob part. How to: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856681-2016-Center-Console-Removal

Last edited:
Back