Info current mpg info randomly updates every 1-2 sec

deep

:
mazda cx5 touring 2013
Hi All,

I see that the current mpg reading keeps updating randomly every 1-2 sec, and shows readings 9.9,14.1,19.8,21.7,28.8,24.0... upto 99.9 mpg and then repeats randomly again with some random numbers.
This started happening today suddenly, has any one faced the same issue?

Thanks,
Deep

thats normal. It keeps track of MPG in real time. When you're coasting, no fuel is being injected into the engine, so thats why it shows 99.9mpg.

Hi All,

I see that the current mpg reading keeps updating randomly every 1-2 sec, and shows readings 9.9,14.1,19.8,21.7,28.8,24.0... upto 99.9 mpg and then repeats randomly again with some random numbers.
This started happening today suddenly, has any one faced the same issue?

Thanks,
Deep

Tap the info button on steering wheel to change info screen. You will get current mpg based on what you are doing at that instant which is what you are seeing. Tap again and you will get readings for avg mpg, avg speed, range etc. The info button is not for audio info as location of button might lead you to believe.

Just uploaded the video to youtube, just to give a clear info.
I am not sure as started by EricF that this is normal, will just wait for 1 more day and check if it starts showing the correct info.

I have tapped the Info button and checked , all the other info details are fine i guess, but agian the average mpg it showed was very low.

EricF is totally correct, it's in the manual, 4-14

Current fuel economy mode
This mode displays the current fuel economy by calculating the amount of fuel consumption and the distance traveled.
Current fuel economy will be calculated and displayed every 2 seconds.
When you've slowed to about 5 km/h (3 mph), - - - L/100 km (- - - mpg) will be displayed.

If you're interested in your Average MPG, then use the info button to change it to Avg MPG, that will show your overall for the vehicle, or if you clear it when you fill up, for that tank.

Last edited:
Ok now i understand, The Current mpg updates info every 2 sec this is by design, and we should only rely on the Average Mpg.

Thanks all for clearing my doubts..

I have it on Average MPG most of the time so I can tell my overall mileage, but will flip occassionally when I'm on a long stretch of uninterrupted road to see what the reading is. In those situations, you can gauge the how efficiently you're driving at the moment. If you drop down from 70 to 65mph, the Current MPG will probably go up, or if you're one of those drivers that pushes down on the gas for a few seconds and then lets go, you'll see the numbers jump all over the place.

Not sure how accurate it is but it is amazing to watch how little things change your mpg. It is neat to watch as you even pass an 18 wheeler just as you approach the cab of the truck your mpg really drops.

Back