Automatic Transmission Fluid - Can you change it?

I've never used them for ATX fluid, because I've never owned an ATX before the CX-5. XD

But, yes, supposedly Blackstone performs UOA on ATF. :)

We plan on keeping the CX-5 for 10 years. Essentially to have a couple of years with no payments for a long term reliable car. Upon reaching 3 years /35K miles we had the dealership flush the ATX fluid for $199.00. That to me is value. My 2013 Volkswagen CC with DSG costs roughly $800 to change the tranny fluid / or $300-400 in parts + service at independent shop / or around $200 in oil + crossing fingers I did it right + proprietary tools to DIY.

In terms of total cost of ownership its roughly cost us $67 per year for 3 years to cover tranny fluid expenses. :)

Oh and my 2013 CC? Did not due the DSG service. Its no more. Replaced with a 2016 Mazda 6 touring with tech.

Did this job last night with mazda FZ fluid. Took 3.5 qts. The old fluid was definitely a darker reddish brown compared to the clear/blue tint FZ fluid, but the old 60k mileage wasn't full of particles and sludge or anything..looked pretty clean still just off color. I'll probably do this every 50k or so for peace of mind, its only $50 and an hour or so.

So you performed this maintenance at 60k? Would you reckon a change at even higher mileage acceptable?

Did this job last night with mazda FZ fluid. Took 3.5 qts. The old fluid was definitely a darker reddish brown compared to the clear/blue tint FZ fluid, but the old 60k mileage wasn't full of particles and sludge or anything..looked pretty clean still just off color. I'll probably do this every 50k or so for peace of mind, its only $50 and an hour or so.

I swung by the Mazda dealer today and asked about this. The way they do it is hook up to the transmission lines and drain/fill the transmission like so. I will likely do this every 40K miles. Why? Because that gives me 20K miles before my powertrain warranty is up to see if it's a BAD idea...

Also, the 60K mile old fluid I've seen. Well, I think it should have been done sooner. It's what, $150-200 to have the dealer do it? I didn't even ask. Replacing a transmission is SO MUCH more...

I test products for a certain fluid/additive company and I will be using our product and flush machine to replace my ATF on my 14 CX-5 when I hit about 25k. We recommend 30k here, but since I work for the company, why not do it sooner? I've been taught while working in dealerships to only drain and fill transmissions (Honda) and other places (BMW) with "lifetime" fluids. And I've seen many transmissions fail and nasty fluid is what came out of them. We have fittings to hook up to nearly every vehicle out there. After seeing tests done on many different vehicles, I'll be doing a fluid replacement instead of a drain&fill on my vehicles.
It doesn't make any sense to drain and fill since you're only getting about 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid out. That new fluid mixes with the old that isn't removed and isn't new fluid anymore.

I test products for a certain fluid/additive company and I will be using our product and flush machine to replace my ATF on my 14 CX-5 when I hit about 25k. We recommend 30k here, but since I work for the company, why not do it sooner? I've been taught while working in dealerships to only drain and fill transmissions (Honda) and other places (BMW) with "lifetime" fluids. And I've seen many transmissions fail and nasty fluid is what came out of them. We have fittings to hook up to nearly every vehicle out there. After seeing tests done on many different vehicles, I'll be doing a fluid replacement instead of a drain&fill on my vehicles.
It doesn't make any sense to drain and fill since you're only getting about 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid out. That new fluid mixes with the old that isn't removed and isn't new fluid anymore.

I've asked multiple transmission shops a couple of years ago when I wanted to have my high mileage BMW lifetime ATF flushed. Nobody was willing to do it- as they did not want to be held responsible for damage. Nobody, not even BMW dealerships. Only 1 transmission shop was willing to do a BMW flush BUT only if it was under 50k miles. Mine was at 100,000k miles. The lesson being that cars with lifetime ATF should be changed under 50k miles. If it has not been changed after that point you're actually better off leaving it as is because the fluid contains "valuable" metal shavings. I know its weird but that's BMW's explanation to me at least.

That said my Mazda dealership used the flush then fill method for the CX-5.

I've asked multiple transmission shops a couple of years ago when I wanted to have my high mileage BMW lifetime ATF flushed. Nobody was willing to do it- as they did not want to be held responsible for damage. Nobody, not even BMW dealerships. Only 1 transmission shop was willing to do a BMW flush BUT only if it was under 50k miles. Mine was at 100,000k miles. The lesson being that cars with lifetime ATF should be changed under 50k miles. If it has not been changed after that point you're actually better off leaving it as is because the fluid contains "valuable" metal shavings. I know its weird but that's BMW's explanation to me at least.

That said my Mazda dealership used the flush then fill method for the CX-5.
What was the cost with the CX-5?
Also, yes, I killed an Infiniti G20 transmission by having the Infiniti dealer drop the pan, replace the filters and fluid. It died soon thereafter with failure to shift, multiple tq converter lock-up codes, etc. 110k miles. Service done around 108.

So you performed this maintenance at 60k? Would you reckon a change at even higher mileage acceptable?

Correct. I believe that newer fluid is always better than older fluid. Whether it's necessary or not is debatable, but $50 and an hour for peace of mind is worth it to me. Less particles, shavings, heat, all good things for an auto trans.

What was the cost with the CX-5?
Also, yes, I killed an Infiniti G20 transmission by having the Infiniti dealer drop the pan, replace the filters and fluid. It died soon thereafter with failure to shift, multiple tq converter lock-up codes, etc. 110k miles. Service done around 108.

$199.95 for flush and fill for CX-5 at my local dealership. Includes:

-Complete transmission fluid exchange,
-Flush transmission
-Flush radiator transmission cooler
-Flush torque converter
-Road test for performance

Back