Automatic Transmission Fluid - Can you change it?

brilloAMD

:
2013 CX5 Touring - Metro Grey Mica
Can you even change it? I don't see it mentioned in the owners manual. I don't see it mentioned on the maintenance chart either. I'm not use to owning automatic vehicles and I assumed you'd change it every 60k or so.

Most automatics have fluid in them that will go 100k. I think its a "sealed" unit, which means that there isn't a dipstick to check the fluid. There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the trans pan with a fill plug in the side (like a manual trans), so changing the fluid shouldn't be an issue at all.

The trans on my tacoma is a sealed unit, and I just flushed it myself about 2 months ago. To do this, I just drained the fluid in the trans and measured how much came out (4qts). Then disconnected the return line to the trans, and added 4qts back into the trans and started the vehicle and let the trans pump pump out the fluid in the torque converter and lines. I measured how much fluid was being pumped out, and when it pumped out 3qts, i shut it off so the pump wouldn't run dry, then added 3qts of fresh fluid into the trans and repeated the procedure until the fluid being pumped out was nice and bright red. Then toped it off, and checked the fluid level.

it was really easy, and by using the trans pump instead of a flush machine, it didn't allow the metal shavings in the bottom of the pan to be distributed through the transmission and lines. IMO its the best way to ensure all of the fluid is pumped out.

I don't see why the same procedure wouldn't work on the mazda trans.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of changing it to RP after breakin but perhaps I'll just leave it alone. Does anyone know if it is synthetic?

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of changing it to RP after breakin but perhaps I'll just leave it alone. Does anyone know if it is synthetic?

I cant see why it wouldn't be synthetic.

When I changed out our P5 to synthetic it actually shifted worse, but it took the M5 fluid and this takes something different.

I'm not one for leaving ATF in a car until it 'needs' changed. EricF's flush procedure is a good one. I've gone the lazier method before of just pumping a quart out and pouring a quart in at each oil change to keep the fluid fresh. I know percentage wise there is always some old fluid in there but the fluid always looked brand new and the car shifted well right up to the 140,000 mile point when we sold it.

I'm going to just change it every 30K like I do my RX8. My wife doesn't drive it hard but I like knowing that its in good shape and Houston heat is good at killing automatic transmissions.

What fluid does the CX5 use? Is it Mobil 3309/T-IV? like the AISIN 5& 6 speeds? I sure wouldn't want to put a non-spec or non certified fluid in. Ed

Mazda calls it "Mazda Genuine ATF FZ"

At least it will avoid the confusion of the M5 back when they called it MV and everyone thought it was Mercon V fluid.

here's a good pdf on it:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...s_jABg&usg=AFQjCNFDIx5yjF8XS4pLr3rSSCzXHPsx2A

and there is a dipstick, but it is bolted in.

and what does this mean:

"Common-rail injection system (SKYACTIV-D 2.2)
Due to the system’s strict fuel injection control, it is necessary to perform injection amount learning at regular intervals as per the scheduled maintenance table shown in Workshop Manual."

Last edited:

At least it will avoid the confusion of the M5 back when they called it MV and everyone thought it was Mercon V fluid.

here's a good pdf on it:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...s_jABg&usg=AFQjCNFDIx5yjF8XS4pLr3rSSCzXHPsx2A

Good find!

what does this mean:

Due to the system’s strict fuel injection control, it is necessary to perform injection amount learning at regular intervals as per the scheduled maintenance table shown in Workshop Manual."

No idea, maybe they have to check/test the injectors periodically?

here's a good pdf on it:

and what does this mean:

Due to the systems strict fuel injection control, it is necessary to perform injection amount learning at regular intervals as per the scheduled maintenance table shown in Workshop Manual."

The tranny fluid is blue and costs about $15 per qt. According to Mazda, it is a lifetime fluid meaning no flushes. There are other manufacturers that use sealed units as well.

According to the Mazda dealer in Fort Myers Florida the AT in the CX5 is NOT a sealed unit and they can or will check the fluid condition and replace if necessary. There is no dipstick so I expect there is a drain and fill plug or maybe just a fill plug so they can syphon out and refill. I don't know who starts the rumors about a lifetime fluid that can't be canged but, they certanly mislead people. Ed

According to the Mazda dealer in Fort Myers Florida the AT in the CX5 is NOT a sealed unit and they can or will check the fluid condition and replace if necessary. There is no dipstick so I expect there is a drain and fill plug or maybe just a fill plug so they can syphon out and refill. I don't know who starts the rumors about a lifetime fluid that can't be canged but, they certanly mislead people. Ed

You can check and change the fluid on all transmissions, including the so called "sealed" ones. I mean, how do you think they got the fluid in there when they built the thing? LOL

And its not like they welded the fill hole up when they were done pouring the fluid in.

Sometimes fluid changes on these lifetime fluid trannys can be tricky (real example: Lexus IS), best performed by experienced tech. For me, it will never get changed on my Lexus or Mazda during my ownership period (in accordance to mfg recommendations) of approximatly 100K miles maximum. Changing fluid creates more risk than not in that period.

Sometimes fluid changes on these lifetime fluid trannys can be tricky (real example: Lexus IS), best performed by experienced tech. For me, it will never get changed on my Lexus or Mazda during my ownership period (in accordance to mfg recommendations) of approximatly 100K miles maximum. Changing fluid creates more risk than not in that period.

There's no trick at all to it, in fact its one of the easiest things you can do. You don't have to have a PhD in automotive engineering to change the fluid. But if it says do it at 100k, and you're going to get rid of the car about that time, then yeah, why bother? Let the next guy worry about it.

There's no trick at all to it, in fact its one of the easiest things you can do. You don't have to have a PhD in automotive engineering to change the fluid. But if it says do it at 100k, and you're going to get rid of the car about that time, then yeah, why bother? Let the next guy worry about it.

The tricky part is getting all the fluid out of some trannys (assuming you want a complete fluid change versus partial and insuring that you get a complete fill afterwards, example being Lexus ISx50). The Lexus fluid cannot be completely emptied nor would I even attempt to. When I mention the Lexus tranny I am not generalizing btw.

My preference when dealing with automakers lifetime factory fill is to leave it untouched, that approach usually has lowest amount of risk. I only want fluid level checked if needed or recommended by manufactuer.

Last edited:

I am a Mazda dealer and there is no "fill plug" per say. The SKYACTIV-Drive transmission is a "sealed unit" and there is no recommended service for the transmission, hence the "lifetime" fluid perception. This does not mean you cannot change the fluid, because it is possible, just not nearly as easy as a conventional transmission.

There is no dipstick so I expect there is a drain and fill plug or maybe just a fill plug so they can syphon out and refill.

In the link in my prior post it shows the dipstick, it is just bolted in so it isn't real easy to remove to check it.

I know the engineers at Mazda should know what they are talking about but I have a lot of trouble thinking that the fluid in there is good for 'life'. On my Tacoma on the same commute I had to change the fluid several times because it started getting cooked and wasn't shifting well. Granted that was over 207,000 miles but still.

I suspose that the word lifetime means different things to different folks and to manufactures. I normally keep a vehicle for 125,000 miles and have kept some for 170,000. Some keep vehicles for 250,000 or more so what does LifeTime mean?

I know the engineers at Mazda should know what they are talking about but I have a lot of trouble thinking that the fluid in there is good for 'life'. On my Tacoma on the same commute I had to change the fluid several times because it started getting cooked and wasn't shifting well. Granted that was over 207,000 miles but still.

Not necessarily a problem applying to all auto trannys. If the fluid is truly cooked (and impacting performance) in the Tacoma, that's a sign of inadequate transmission cooling specific to that design.

The tricky part is getting all the fluid out of some trannys (assuming you want a complete fluid change versus partial and insuring that you get a complete fill afterwards, example being Lexus ISx50). The Lexus fluid cannot be completely emptied nor would I even attempt to. When I mention the Lexus tranny I am not generalizing btw.

My preference when dealing with automakers lifetime factory fill is to leave it untouched, that approach usually has lowest amount of risk. I only want fluid level checked if needed or recommended by manufactuer.

Read post #2 if you want to know how to change it.

Back