Aftermarket HID kit installation

4500 ddm slim kit installed and I'm not impressed at all. Light output is less then stock. Were my expectations unreasonable or could these be a bad set? Red wires are matched to light green so I don't think it's an install issue.

Last edited:
Sorry fellas completely forgot to do an update with my install...better late than never right? Heres my extended use update lol...

View attachment 199736

Pretty nice cutoff and color (white with a hint of blue)

View attachment 199737

Head on shot

Sorry for the crappy pics...verdict is I have not had people flash me their high beams and the cutoff is very nice and sharp. Very happy with the results.

AWD...did you go with the 55W kit? Any problems with the higher wattage?

Tought I would give it a whirl and install some 35W hid in the lows... ---I was a little hesitant as I know how Halogen lamps can act with HID bulbs---and sure enough I was right they look like s**** .. terrible beam pattern....output gain is nill..needless to say they are getting ripped out as asap and back to halogens.

I installed a iJDMtoy 35W HID kit into our non-Tech Pkg...also got no output gain (seems worse, actually) & terrible beam pattern. I haven't tried to adjust/re-aim the lights, but I've never had to on both of my MX5s. Someone else was saying they're gonna try using H9 bulbs instead. Any updates?

I installed a iJDMtoy 35W HID kit into our non-Tech Pkg...also got no output gain (seems worse, actually) & terrible beam pattern. I haven't tried to adjust/re-aim the lights, but I've never had to on both of my MX5s. Someone else was saying they're gonna try using H9 bulbs instead. Any updates?
Check that the bulbs are correctly positioned and locked-in to the housings. I have the DDM ones and the beam pattern is fine, and they are much brighter than stock (though I don't like the fact that they are too blue-white, even though supposed to be 4500K). But the bulbs don't sit tight and can wiggle out of position - then the beam messes up. I gotta add another silicone ring to make sure they sit tight.

Check that the bulbs are correctly positioned and locked-in to the housings. I have the DDM ones and the beam pattern is fine, and they are much brighter than stock (though I don't like the fact that they are too blue-white, even though supposed to be 4500K). But the bulbs don't sit tight and can wiggle out of position - then the beam messes up. I gotta add another silicone ring to make sure they sit tight.

Thanks for the reply, REDBARON. I will double-check that I have the bulbs properly inserted/locked. You'd think that I'd have made sure they were correctly installed...but in the excitement of the new car, I may have been careless LOL. But it seems unlikely that both sides were installed incorrectly, oh well, I hope it was my mistake.

Just installed the Kensun HID kit with 6000k bulbs today. Incredibly easy. Bright white with just the lightest tint of blue, exactly what I wanted. held the ballasts in place with electrical tape... gotta buy some velco or zip ties to make it more permanent.

Sorry for the necro bump but I just picked up a Volt 6k kit from Xenon Depot http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Kit-Volt-HID-p/vdp-h11.htm . I found a coupon code and ended up getting them for $79.99 shipped. I'm doing the low beams only but I'll be sure to post up some pics when I'm done. (2013 CX-5 Touring w/moonroof/Bose w/o Tech). Question though, I'm hearing some folks didn't install theirs using the wire harness. Is that really okay or better safe than sorry you think?

Sorry for the necro bump but I just picked up a Volt 6k kit from Xenon Depot http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Kit-Volt-HID-p/vdp-h11.htm . I found a coupon code and ended up getting them for $79.99 shipped. I'm doing the low beams only but I'll be sure to post up some pics when I'm done. (2013 CX-5 Touring w/moonroof/Bose w/o Tech). Question though, I'm hearing some folks didn't install theirs using the wire harness. Is that really okay or better safe than sorry you think?

What did you find out? I Recently had my kensun 6000k kit fail on one side. From the beginning, one light would sporadically not power on. It was fixed after I would flip the lights off and on again. Now the driver side light won't power on at all. I wonder if i should get a power relay harness to fix this issue. And probably have to replace the driver side setup too.

1d047c5f53bcbc011fa38556b603372a.jpg

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

What did you find out? I Recently had my kensun 6000k kit fail on one side. From the beginning, one light would sporadically not power on. It was fixed after I would flip the lights off and on again. Now the driver side light won't power on at all. I wonder if i should get a power relay harness to fix this issue. And probably have to replace the driver side setup too.
I actually ended up installing mine without the harness. I've had them installed a year now and zero issues. I even installed some LED fogs a few days ago, they're great as well.uploadfromtaptalk1458425250887.jpg

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I ended up purchasing a new set of the Kensun h11 Hid bulb/ballast set ups. On first install, NEITHER of the two new lights or ballasts worked. Was worried I messed up some of the car wiring itself. As I re-installed the failed ballast to put the new ones back into the box... the old 'failed' one lit up. But again, failed later that day when i turned on the lights. Odd.

I ended up installing the power relay harness, and had to use ONE of the new ballast/bulbs. Now they 'charge' up brightness about 3x as fast, and do not fail to both light up each time. My only issue now is that the new bulb puts out a different light pattern than the other. A little annoying at night. I may change out the original good working light to see if the two new ones put out an identical light pattern.

For those of you that have aftermarket HID , do you retain stock features like...auto shut off, if you forget to turn your headlights off.

Yes. The signal that receives the bulb, it is still the same. I leave my lights on, all the time and they turn off by themselves, after 30 sec.. I never worry about them.

Back