Aftermarket HID kit installation

I only did the 35w kit in both, the 55w kits may need upgraded wiring and I definitely wouldn't put a 55w in the stock halogen fog light housing (it would probably melt it)

Stock bulbs are 55w. In addition if you remember high school physics class, since HID put out more light at the same energy level (wattage), there is less energy left over to be turned into heat.

55w will produce less heat that stock halogens, not more.

now wether its a good idea to put that much light out with other cars is a different story

AWD that is a terrible choice, you will probably get a ticket and will probably produce less useful light than the stock halogen bulbs with 10x more glare for oncoming traffic.

AWD that is a terrible choice, you will probably get a ticket and will probably produce less useful light than the stock halogen bulbs with 10x more glare for oncoming traffic.

I got the same kit for the Speed3 but in 8000k and it was completely white, only a hint of blue when it was warming up. No one ever flashed their high beams at me, the cutoff was perfect. Having said that if I put it on the CX5 and its very bad I will take it out immediately. I hate when people's headlight blind me (I did lasik and my eyes are VERY sensitive to light). Like I said tho, no problems with it at all on the Speed3. Will take pics when I get them installed. (idhitit)

can you specify exactly what you've ordered? there are many options on the ordering page. thanks pal

Sounds good AWD, I thought you just didn't care about other drivers. I was surprised by how blue my 5000k kit is (35w), wish I had done 4500 instead but it's ok until I save up for a retrofit.

For you guys putting in PnP kits from DDM or other companies...

Look at The Retrofit Source.
They test their product to ensure it works, and that the color that is produced is actually what they say it is.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=27

DDM is notorious for
1) Not having their bulbs (pair) match in color
2) The color produced can be several K above or below what they claim the bulb is producing.

If your willing to change your wiring a little you can also pick up REAL Philips 85122+, Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI, and Osram Xenarc 66240 SVS.

If your putting this kit into your Halogen system consider a retrofit of an actual HID projector in leu of the Halogen Projectors that our car comes with.

milkyxj,

Are you doing your own retro or are you having somebody do it for you?

I can sell you a set of my projectors if you want.

I have:

2 AP1
1 SC430
1 RX330 AFS
1 Murano BX

I'm leaning to go crazy with a SC430 / RX330 Hybrid. Though that will consume quite a bit of time.

I've already opened up one of the headlights to check the sizing. Lots of room it seems.
If you want to go crazy I think you could fit a LS430 in there if you want to vacuum form.

I will have someone do it for me jwlj, still doing research on what I want to put in it and have to find someone to put it in as well. May get put on the back burner for awhile, I'm going to have to move in the spring for school and have to save some money up.

Kk.
Hidillusionz just had a group buy.
Discount on Morimoto parts, and labor.

They do good work.

Not sure when they will do another.

Tought I would give it a whirl and install some 35W hid in the lows... I've completed 4 self retros in the past and they all worked awesome. ---I was a little hesitant as I know how Halogen lamps can act with HID bulbs---and sure enough I was right they look like s**** .. terrible beam pattern....output gain is nill..needless to say they are getting ripped out as asap and back to halogens.

Last edited:
Tought I would give it a whirl and install some 35W hid in the lows... I've completed 4 self retros in the past and they all worked awesome. ---I was a little hesitant as I know how Halogen lamps can act with HID bulbs---and sure enough I was right they look like s**** .. terrible beam pattern....output gain is nill..needless to say they are getting ripped out as asap and back to halogens.

As the starter of this thread I have come to that same conclusion jtsimaras. I am pulling out the HID kits and putting the stock bulbs back in the fogs and I'm going to upgrade the h11 low beams to h9 bulbs. I'll let you guys know how it goes and put pictures up. The 35w hid's are bright but the pattern is terrible and I don't have the cash for a retro right now. The h9 swap should be brighter and have a good pattern (I hope). Will update again when the parts come in

Good Idea!
I ripped apart the fogs and removed the shields --much brighter with halogen bulbs. To rip them apart I heated them up in a toaster oven for about 10 minutes at 350F and then prided them open them slowly with a putty knife. Don't use toaster oven for cooking again --my toaster oven was used when I did retros back in the day. To reseal them I cleaned up all the OEM glue and used clear silicon in groove--DO not fill the grove completely with sillicon as you will have a mess on your hands.
I may try the H9 bulbs as well :)

Last edited:
Ok so my parts came in, here are the pictures. All I had to do was cut one tab out of the H9 bulb, connect it to the ceramic adapter (don't want to melt my stock harness), then put them in the oem bulb. On paper I picked up about 900 lumens. I haven't driven it at night yet but will let you know what I think about it compared to the DDM kit. Fogs are stock H11 and I'm leaving them as that, I'm afraid the h9 would melt the stock housing. If anyone else is brave enough to try it let me know how it works lol.

Regular H9 Bulb
attachment.php

H9 bulb with the tab removed. I just used my benchmade to cut it out
attachment.php

ebay ceramic h9 wiring harness (10 dollars a pair)
attachment.php

Passenger light is the h9, driver is the h11. No change in glare that I can see so far.
attachment.php

IMG_20121204_165730_568[1].jpgIMG_20121204_165953_642[1].jpgIMG_20121204_170003_698[1].jpgIMG_20121204_170829_701[1].jpg

Sorry fellas completely forgot to do an update with my install...better late than never right? Heres my extended use update lol...

IMG_0879.JPG

Pretty nice cutoff and color (white with a hint of blue)

IMG_0873.JPG

Head on shot

Sorry for the crappy pics...verdict is I have not had people flash me their high beams and the cutoff is very nice and sharp. Very happy with the results.

Ok, I bought a KENSUN HID 6000K kit and its been about 9 months and one of the HID bulbs burnt out. I will call too see if they will Honor thier "2 year warranty". In the mean time, does anyone have or know of a kit that when you install them (H11) the plugs just clip together. With the Kensun kit, I had to place (2) blade connectors (+/-) into the stock mazda headlight power clip. The blade connectors went into the ballast. Im sure there is a better way of getting a better and cleaner connection with aftermarket HID kits. Any thoughts?

Back