How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Yes it would be better with winter tyres, but in the UK its the first snow for two years where I live.

I did come back up a steep hill, I live at the top, there's 3 ways up but I deliberately used the steep route, I've got to say on my 5mm tyres it was effort less, its a second gear hill even in good conditions, I didn't have the confidence to try a hill start, maybe on winters, some day.

On my route cars were on the road side abandoned and one was in a ditch rear end pointing to god, another had the front end missing and I don't just mean the bumper !

8 inches fell last night, roads not cleared, only the autobahn cleared, drove 65mph along hard packed snow with any issue. switch the tcs off for some fun but forgot the esp wastes that! Normal day in a country that has these conditions so often, every car has winter tyres, you never see anybody stock, I go out to try a get stuck for fun and struggle! Wouldn't dream of driving around in 3mm summer tyres, if you didn't get in to difficulties then it's down to luck more than anything. My dad never dreamed of buying winter tyres, we were out last year in the scottish borders, car in front slowed to a stop on a gentle incline, we could get round him and couldn't get going again, I was digging the car out ( a few inches of snow) and eventually got going. He has michelin alpin 4 on his Focus now!

Snow is, these days, too infrequent to get winter tyres where I live. I don't agree it was luck. This car and my previous VW Tiguan have been in worse conditions without difficulty. She drove more than 60 miles on roads with laying snow without any spin because she didn't do any sudden accelerating or braking etc. The hills caused no problems. A few years ago I was staying with my son in Sheffield. They had over a foot of level snow. No 2 wheel drive cars/vans were getting up the steep, short hill next to his house. I backed out the Tiguan and went up the incline from a standstill with no bother. The tyres on that car were far from new. The worst thing is having to brake. The extra mass of the larger vehicles makes things worse.

The 3mm I agree is far from ideal but I hope to get a bit more from the them before changing fairly soon. If living where snow and ice are the norm, I too would get winter tyres.

So, I generally agree with Xtraiman's comments.

A common misconception in the uk is that they are snow tyres. If you doing motorway miles in cold wet conditions, you should have winter tyres, you wont be able to feel the benefits ......until it's too late. Check youtube for winter tyres in wet conditions.

A common misconception in the uk is that they are snow tyres. If you doing motorway miles in cold wet conditions, you should have winter tyres, you wont be able to feel the benefits ......until it's too late. Check youtube for winter tyres in wet conditions.
Yes, I have seen comparisons along the lines of 4 wheel drive Vs winter tyres on 2 wheel drive where they test braking, accelerating and cornering. One of the car magazines had a video and it was surprising how well and sometimes better, the winter tyres were on a 2 drive wheel car compared to a 4 wheel drive.

And another in full agreement. They should be better known as cold weather tyres. There are too many articles to mention which show the benefits of fitting cold weather tyres when temps are regularly below 7C most particularly in the area of braking. The compound of a winter tyre is significantly different to a summer tyre allowing them to remain more flexible and hence grippy in colder temperatures. They also have significantly more sypes cut into the tyre which aid water dispersion and pack with snow, when around, to aid grip.The video mentioned above was taken at Tamworth snowdome and showed how a 2 wheel car with winter tyres will easily outperform a 4 wheel drive on summer tyres. It's one of the reasons I bought the 2WD model saving several thousand into the bargain and then purchased a set of winter tyres. It costs me 52 twice a year to get the tyres changed (less than the cost of my insurance excess) and of course whilst the winter tyres are on the summer tyres are in the garage and not wearing so the only additional cost is that of changing the tyres which is easily offset if I avoid even one accident.

And another in full agreement. They should be better known as cold weather tyres. There are too many articles to mention which show the benefits of fitting cold weather tyres when temps are regularly below 7C most particularly in the area of braking. The compound of a winter tyre is significantly different to a summer tyre allowing them to remain more flexible and hence grippy in colder temperatures. They also have significantly more sypes cut into the tyre which aid water dispersion and pack with snow, when around, to aid grip.The video mentioned above was taken at Tamworth snowdome and showed how a 2 wheel car with winter tyres will easily outperform a 4 wheel drive on summer tyres. It's one of the reasons I bought the 2WD model saving several thousand into the bargain and then purchased a set of winter tyres. It costs me 52 twice a year to get the tyres changed (less than the cost of my insurance excess) and of course whilst the winter tyres are on the summer tyres are in the garage and not wearing so the only additional cost is that of changing the tyres which is easily offset if I avoid even one accident.

That makes good sense.

I worked out the number of times I'd need 4 wheel drive over 5 years would be 120 a time, so thought about it and then thought not. But then even with 4wd or winter tyre capability that doesn't stop some one with 2wd and summer tyres from crashing into you because they lost control.

No matter how well you can cope with the conditions it's those that can't that cause you the problems. Fortunately I'm not in the emergency services otherwise I would have shelled out for 4wd / winter tyres.
I did get caught in bad snow in cardiff a few years ago and cars were spinning and sliding to get up a hill that I managed to with 2wd summer tyres. I also had a portable 20 tyre inflater so I could have let the tyres down to get up the hill and pump them back up afterwards. That's another trick in bad weather apart from gentle on the throttle and steering.

safe motoring.

"...I also had a portable 20 tyre inflater so I could have let the tyres down to get up the hill and pump them back up afterwards. That's another trick in bad weather...".

That is a whole can of worms that get opened - but not by me - too many variables.

This year the temperature has only recently dropped below 7 degrees, so until the last week they wouldn't have been of any benefit.
I fact winter tyres above 7 degrees can take longer to stop in the wet than summer tyres.

I found Dunlop sp20 all seasons ok they also had sipes, but not as many as winters, standard fit to Xtrails, I used them for 9 years and never got stuck.

Tyre choice also depends on which part of the UK in drive in.

http://conversation.which.co.uk/transport-travel/winter-tyres-not-worth-the-money/

I found Dunlop sp20 all seasons ok they also had sipes, but not as many as winters, standard fit to Xtrails, I used them for 9 years and never got stuck.

Tyre choice also depends on which part of the UK in drive in.

http://conversation.which.co.uk/transport-travel/winter-tyres-not-worth-the-money/

Not sure I quite agree with the "part of the UK one drives in". I'm much further south than you where we don't get that much snow though living in a village when we do get it we get more than enough. We live in a dip on a main B road and were highly amused last year when a traffic jam formed both ways outside our house because all the cars that came down the hills either side of us couldn't then get up the other side. Farmer made a killing with his tractor that day. One could argue that it's as much about the time of day you drive since it's obviously colder in the early mornings and evenings. -4c here at 0900 this morning.
However having had a rear wheel drive Jaguar XF previously I did fit that with winter tyres and they were an absolute revelation, converted me overnight the first time I drove the car in the snow whilst I got stuck several times with a 4WD Volvo XC90 I owned previously.
Reading the Which article it's interesting to note the revised opinion in the update article which is linked and where they recognise that the summer tyre aren't wearing while the winters are on.
I do agree about the all seasons though and when I come to replace the standard summers will seriously consider fitting such a tyre as a best case compromise.
In the meantime however I'll settle for using the winters. I've tried them, they do make a difference though each to their own as they say.

Last edited:
40 small accidents in my area recently, all on winter tyres, you still have to know what you are doing in the snow and ice, simple put, the Swiss drive too close together and are usually on the phone or texting, the police are very relaxed about that it seems. The vast majority of these were on sheet ice at low speed.

For those interested in how the CX5 drives in slippery surfaces, I went a trip to a shop today, driving around 45 mph on a main road, was fairly busy, road looked fine, hard packed snow with two dark strips of road about 1ft wide each to drive on, however, before a roundabout I had a feeling there was low grip, gave the brakes medium force and was surprised to find the ABS came on straight away and I didn't slow down at all, sheet ice. So I held back a little more from the car infront, slowed with ABS as I approached the roundabout, ABS came on no matter how gentle I pressed the pedal, I checked my rear view to see the two cars behind snaking around a lot but slowling at least.

On the way back I took a detour on a quiet road, was total white out, only marker poles to show where the road was, got up to 50mph and then foot hard on the brakes, was 1inch powder snow on top of solid ice, took forever to stop with ABS always on, also to note was the brake pedal doesn't go down very far no matter how hard you press when ABS is active, but below approx 10mph just before you come to a halt, the pedal sinks much further for some reason. Acceleration was exceptional on the ice but you need spikes for braking. TC (or TCS, can't remember what it's called in the CX5) off means you can spin the wheels if you are going in a straight line, the car will do a small oversteer if you power out a junction, which is fun but as soon as the angel gets a little more the esp activates, cutting the power and brakes the wheels to straighten you up, same if you do a handbrake turn on snow or ice, the esp freaks out so it's not worth trying.

To be honest, the CX5 has the advantage of ground clearance which helps on the very odd occasion, otherwise it's similar to any other AWD vehicle. I would love to be able to lock it to AWD, I would have preferred that it was always on, even if the fuel consumption was sacrificed a little. All the time I was playing around, I was trying to work out when the back wheels were driving, I don't know if they were working when going straight, or when the traction lost light flashes on the dash, maybe this light flashes to say the TC is active and the rear wheels are driving, certainly the small power slides were fun and controllable before ESP intervened so the rears drive was active then.

My wife really wanted a Scobby XV which I was happy with as it has one of the best AWD systems, but the ride comfort was shocking, it was as if it had springs, but no shocks on it, we both got out feeling travel sick, shame, I used to have a Impreza turbo and the donuts you could do in the snow were amazing!

Interesting post Dr.
A BMW X3 has permanent 4wd but no spare tyre, its a great car to drive but with a low rent interior for the money.

CX5 has a few negative points but not changing it for a couple of years.

Was following a brand new xtrail the other day, only saw the back end but was very smart looking! Don't think the engine can match the cx5 though.

I believe there is a school of thought which suggests that ABS be turned off when driving in snow. The suggestion is that with the wheels locked whilst braking a small wedge of snow will build up in front of the tyres as you "skid" along eventually bringing the car to a halt. With ABS the wedge of snow is unable to build up because the wheels never lock. Haven't really tried that one I must admit.
Take the point about the ice though, not even winter tyres will help much there. Even on the winter tyres I tend to drive as I would on summer tyres in snow i e leaving a wide margin for error and then in theory at least one should be that much safer with the added performance of the appropriate tyre.

I believe there is a school of thought which suggests that ABS be turned off when driving in snow. The suggestion is that with the wheels locked whilst braking a small wedge of snow will build up in front of the tyres as you "skid" along eventually bringing the car to a halt. With ABS the wedge of snow is unable to build up because the wheels never lock. Haven't really tried that one I must admit.
Take the point about the ice though, not even winter tyres will help much there. Even on the winter tyres I tend to drive as I would on summer tyres in snow i e leaving a wide margin for error and then in theory at least one should be that much safer with the added performance of the appropriate tyre.

The wedge idea is advice given by car manufactures for snow that can be pushed and wedged and also materials like gravel.

CX5 has a few negative points but not changing it for a couple of years.

Was following a brand new xtrail the other day, only saw the back end but was very smart looking! Don't think the engine can match the cx5 though.

I have the 1.6 DCi Qashqai. Believe me it is easily as good as the CX5 Engine. I thought it would lack power but I was so wrong! When Nissan stopped the 2.0 litre diesel it put me off thinking how could a 1.6 be any good in such a car. Well basically it's tremendous!

The 2L 171bhp Xtrail engine comes nowhere near the 173bhp Mazda engine for low end torque or high end torque for that matter.

Perhaps the cashcow has a better power to weight ratio than the Mazda you had or lower gearing?

On thing for sure the xtrail with only 129bhp and around 236 pound feet will not perform better towing my caravan. In fact in road tests the engine hasn't received complementary reports.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/nissan/x-trail-crossover/full-review/26225-3

In fact if WC are correct you have selected the worst engine from the range.

"Refinement5 out of 5 stars Review-OnRoad No other small SUV matches the Qashqai’s outstanding levels of refinement. The 1.2-litre petrol and 1.5 diesel engines stay smooth and quiet, even at high revs. Road and wind noise are also well suppressed on the motorway. Only the 1.6-litre diesel lets the side down; it’s noisier than the smaller diesel and you can feel slight vibrations through the pedals. Even so, a nicely weighted gearshift and easy-to-moderate brakes on every model round off an impressive performance. "

Don't recall feeling any vibrations through the Mazda engines pedals? anyone.

Now if you want to knock the Mazda on it true faults such a wind and tyre noise, along with an average and tiny satnav, then I would agree.

Happy new year to all out readers. (breakn)

No celebrating for me this year with the wife in and out of hospital but I'm thinking of you all anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your wife xtrailman. Hope all goes well for you both in 2015. My wife was in for day surgery yesterday and is now home for three weeks and not allowed to drive. Think we will probably drive each other nuts before she goes back to work.(nuts)

20 months in I'm pretty pleased with my CX5. Yes, wind and tyre noise are a (minor) issue. I'm quite pleased with the SatNav but have always been a fan of the TomTom Live Traffic service. I just think the whole dash could do with a brighter, more quality look and I'm not sure the 2015 model has addressed that to any great degree. I think Nissan has it nailed on that one. My only other gripe is the fuel economy on the Motorway. Did 690 miles up and down to the N East over the Xmas week with an average mpg of about 43 though we were 4 adults, a dog and a boot loaded almost to the roof. All in all not a bad figure but miles from what the "official" figures would have you believe. It's up and down to Grimsby this weekend for a wedding but we'll only be 2 up for that so should see better mpg. Then again I don't hang around when I'm on the motorway. Otherwise I'm seeing 48-50 mpg pretty regularly.

I keep looking at other cars to see if I would buy anything else if I was buying just now and keep coming back to the CX5, it really is the best compromise for my particular needs. I have had to walk several people round to the front to show them a tax disc showing only 30 a year before they would believe me.....

Anyway, Happy New Year to all, time to go and unpack this evening's beer ...

I keep looking at other cars to see if I would buy anything else if I was buying just now and keep coming back to the CX5, it really is the best compromise for my particular needs. I have had to walk several people round to the front to show them a tax disc showing only 30 a year before they would believe me.....

Anyway, Happy New Year to all, time to go and unpack this evening's beer ...

I removed my tax disc now as they no longer need to be displayed, but I know what you mean.

I always try to make choices less damaging to the environment, but I didn't want a car that does 0-62 in 14s. A lot of new cars are more economical but they also are slower. not much progress eh? I wanted more power and more economy than the old car. (kia carens 2.0 diesel - 138bhp 0-62 - 11S and 159g/km co2).

A colleague was quite shocked that I'd sold out my green credentials by buying a planet munching suv/4x4, without realising that it is far more economical and quicker than their much smaller car. (I didn't tell them that, only that is is the greenest car of its size and only cost 30 to tax).

When I bought our 1.3 Daihatsu sirion it only gave off 137g/km. That was 9 years ago when it was the class leader. What it had in common with the cx-5 was a low kerb weight for its size, that's always going to be a big advantage.

So our Sirion is the 'dirty' choice for a trip, although because of emissions technologies it's better suited for short journeys.

There are a few cars I would prefer to own now that I have had the CX5 for a while, but non of them have an engine quite as good (balance of performance, refinement, economy etc) and the higher driving position has really grown on me. There are a few estate cars that are getting a slightly raised body, the Leon thingy, the Volvo thingymajig etc but they have a price premium slapped on them for so little extra kit.

Back