How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

I thought this link might be of interest to owners, or potential owners.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/our-cars-mazda-cx-5/263047

Regarding the MPG I've found that a diesel engine requires at least 15K miles to fully run in, in fact my xtrail improved after 20K noticeably, until recently it was showing 44mpg average on the computer, the recent cold weather has seen this down to 39mpg.

Anyone had experience of G3-Glasscoat or similar ? Dealer option with the CX5 for 395 - ouch. Blurb looks good and the youtube videos show shiny cars but they would wouldn't they ?

I've used the G5 wheel armour on the alloys, and it really does make them easier to clean. I haven't used a glasscoat sealant before, I'm an old fashioned wax guy (I use Autoglym HD wax).

Surely a local car detailer will do it for less than 395 ? Dealers always tend to inflate detailing prices.

So, took the car to the Mazda dealer yesterday for them to look at the oil level rise. The level had risen to the X on the dipstick, but they could not see any DPF warnings in the ECU log. It was, and I quote, "the first time we've seen or heard of a problem like this". I suggested that they might like to come on this forum and read some of the posts!

They've removed some of the oil to take the level back down to normal, and I will monitor it over the next couple of thousand miles. If it rises again, they will "escalate" it with Mazda UK.

I also asked them to look at the clunky gear change (from 1st to 2nd) but I got the standard "no fault found" response. Oh well, must just be me then!

1st to second gear changes are some times due to cold weather, i had a Primera like that.

Try taking the speed a little higher than you would normally before changing.

Anyone with experience of CX-5 servicing, what needs doing / cost etc. Do AWD tyres need rotating every 6000 miles ? - Mazda dealers or other garages ?

Read the link in post 211.

Mentions tyre rotation and first service costs.

great - thanks = got it - post #121 - had read that but missed the bit about tyre rotation. I had a 3yr service plan thrown in with my Mazda 6 2.2 Sports diesel so no service costs the last 3 yrs and dealer serviced. At 199 for a first CX5 service ..I might look around if I don't get a good plan offer from the main dealer

So, took the car to the Mazda dealer yesterday for them to look at the oil level rise. The level had risen to the X on the dipstick, but they could not see any DPF warnings in the ECU log. It was, and I quote, "the first time we've seen or heard of a problem like this". I suggested that they might like to come on this forum and read some of the posts!

They've removed some of the oil to take the level back down to normal, and I will monitor it over the next couple of thousand miles. If it rises again, they will "escalate" it with Mazda UK.

I also asked them to look at the clunky gear change (from 1st to 2nd) but I got the standard "no fault found" response. Oh well, must just be me then!

Removing some of the oil is a big NO NO! As said by Mazda Australia. Dealers MUST replace all oil when it reaches the X mark and MUST replace the oil filter. This has been their instructions to all dealers in Australia. (Untill they come up with a fix for the rising oil issue).

Thank-you for that.

How are things going with your CX5?

Dealer says 12 January now, It surely has to be on the zebrugge - avonmouth / royal portbury docks on the 24th DEC If that is my final date. I did try to look at Rosyth arrival to cross check but unlike avonmouth they only show shipping movement in a 24 hr window. For avonmouth there aren't any cars carriers arriving from Zeebrugge until feb.

http://www.uecc.com/Portals/0/Content_SailingSchedule/schedule.pdf

coral leader is the ship I'm betting on. Of course this is all guesswork but it help to pass the time!(yawn)

It's a pity the other ports don't have the extended arrivals/departures info that Avonmouth has otherwise I could be a lot more confident about where the car is.

Hello,
My first post.
Have been waiting since I ordered on 28th September, was told by dealer in Hexham delivery in early February but had an email this morning from salesman saying to expect delivery 7th Jan. Great!
Can anyone help with which ports/import routes Mazda use in the UK?

Removing some of the oil is a big NO NO! As said by Mazda Australia. Dealers MUST replace all oil when it reaches the X mark and MUST replace the oil filter. This has been their instructions to all dealers in Australia. (Untill they come up with a fix for the rising oil issue).

Thanks for the advice. Is there anything official online from Mazda that I can direct the dealer to?

great - thanks = got it - post #121 - had read that but missed the bit about tyre rotation. I had a 3yr service plan thrown in with my Mazda 6 2.2 Sports diesel so no service costs the last 3 yrs and dealer serviced. At 199 for a first CX5 service ..I might look around if I don't get a good plan offer from the main dealer

Mazda dealer in Nottingham has told me 180 for first service, is booked in for this Friday.

Thanks for the advice. Is there anything official online from Mazda that I can direct the dealer to?

This was part of a document that was on the Mazda web-site under "Support - FAQs", but it seems to have conveniently disappeared.
You may also wish to read back through a few pages on this Forum (link below) to see other the people with the issue.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1979291&p=64
Also have a flick through the Mazda Australia Facebook site (below) and you will see a number of complaints.
http://www.facebook.com/mazdaaus
You should have also received a coloured brochure from Mazda about how and when to check your oil.

CX-5 DIESEL-OIL LEVEL INCREASE- FAQS

Q. Why do I need to check the oil level every 1,000 km?
A: Regular inspection of the oil level is not unique to the CX-5 Diesel. Mazda recommends this for all vehicles. Please refer to the Maintenance and Care section of your Owner's Manual for a complete inspection procedure.

Q: Why is the engine oil level increasing on my CX-5.?
A: It is normal for the oil level to increase above the Full mark on a vehicle equipped with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The DPF collects particulate matter that is present in the diesel exhaust gas. As part of the DPF regeneration process a follow-up injection of fuel is performed to increase the temperature in the DPF to clear the collected particulate matter. The increase in the oil level is as a normal result of this process, as a small amount of the fuel injected during the follow-up injection adheres to the cylinder wall and is transferred to the engine sump.

Q: What should I do if the oil level reaches or is above the 'X' mark on the dipstick?
A: If the engine oil level approaches or exceeds the 'X' (the highest mark on the dipstick), the oil needs to be replaced with the correct specification oil, Extra DL-1 Genuine Mazda Diesel Oil. Please drive your CX-5 to your nearest Mazda Dealer.

Q: What will happen if I don't change the oil when it reaches the 'X' mark on the dipstick?
A If the engine oil is not changed when the oil level reaches or exceeds the 'X' mark the Master Warning Light and Engine Oil Warning Light will be illuminated when the engine oil reaches the oil dilution limit. If this occurs stop driving your CX-5 and contact your nearest Mazda dealer.

Mazda dealer in Nottingham has told me 180 for first service, is booked in for this Friday.

180 is a reasonably charge, i paid around that for my Xtrail first and second service in 2010/11.

By the way the CX-5 ratings aren't published in BHP values, so its not 175, nearer 173 bhp.

Just spoken with my Mazda dealer about the rising oil level and he has asked me to take it in tomorrow. I will update you on what happens.

Dealer says 12 January now, It surely has to be on the zebrugge - avonmouth / royal portbury docks on the 24th DEC If that is my final date. I did try to look at Rosyth arrival to cross check but unlike avonmouth they only show shipping movement in a 24 hr window. For avonmouth there aren't any cars carriers arriving from Zeebrugge until feb.

http://www.uecc.com/Portals/0/Content_SailingSchedule/schedule.pdf

coral leader is the ship I'm betting on. Of course this is all guesswork but it help to pass the time!(yawn)

It's a pity the other ports don't have the extended arrivals/departures info that Avonmouth has otherwise I could be a lot more confident about where the car is.

Dealer in Hexham says our CX5 is landing in Grimsby maybe on same boat?
Due for delivery 7/1/13.
Grimsby dock site only does weekly pdf of movements and can't see a likely ship.

Dealer in Hexham says our CX5 is landing in Grimsby maybe on same boat?
Due for delivery 7/1/13.
Grimsby dock site only does weekly pdf of movements and can't see a likely ship.

I love how we are all getting so excited over our new arrivals.. late xmas presents all round.

I am desperate to try and figure out how my car will be delivered to me. Surely Mazda must import all the cars through one port and then distribute them from there, the question is, is Zeebrugge the main port for the UK? (and from there they are shipped off on their own respective ships to different areas of the UK)

Ordered mine at the end of July and I picked it up today from the dealer. Arrived 2 days early which was good.

All brilliant except 2 minor issues; one is a rattle in the dash and the second is that the boot needs a good slam to engage the lock. Gentle closing won't do it.

I found out that Mazda sold 31,000 cars in 2011 in the uk. That would be about 8 boats of the 4,000 ro-ro carriers direct from japan.

It was mentioned here ...

http://www.automotivesupplychain.org/features/23/62/Any-port-in-a-storm/

...that they go to zeebrugge on a larger ship and then are re-shipped on a smaller ro-ro to UK and Ireland. I did wonder if the article in the record about zebbrugge being the centre for mazda europe included the UK or not but the above link appears to confirm it is. This ties in with all the Scottish bound cars now going to rosyth.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/business-consumer/mazda-to-import-new-cars-direct-1048179

as those ports are 100's of miles away from where I am I'm still hoping it's avonmouth for my cx-5. If the zeebrugge to avonmouth date of 24th Dec is the correct date then it should mean the other Mazda's for the UK are already in zeebrugge around the 20th Dec. to be split up and re-loaded onto different ships.

P.s just seen that the opal leader is due in on 14th Jan. so If it's not on the coral leader the date of the delivery goes back a couple of weeks?

Last edited:
Back