How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

37mpg is rather low even for a auto.

My car is heavier by around 100kg, but I'm showing 43mpg on the average read out, it was over 44 when the weather was warmer, and i'm only on 2.5K miles, so not even run in.

If I was you I would check that the latest software is installed, you should have a type C dipstick, and that the exhaust sensor is the modified type.

It sounds to me like your car is going into regen too much?

After taking my caravan in for repairs I averaged 27mpg on A/B roads, that's just towing as I reset before the tow, reset the average reading again for the return journey and was at one point showing 55mpg, the journey finished on 49mpg.

Which compares to my previous Xtrail where I could get 48 mpg.

That's just driving normal, not fast, not slow.

Speak to your dealer, if he's not interested phone another,
Some one on the CT forum was getting a similar mileage mid 30's with a 175 manual sport, later rising oil brought his car to a stop, following a dealer update his economy is much improved.

Last edited:
37 mpg is very low for an auto.

I'm running at 41.9 according to the on-board computer gadget ,and for an auto that isn't bad. I used to get better out of VW group cars but they would be running at under 2,000 revs at 70mph. If that was the case with the Mazda then there would be even greater problems with the re-gen.

The oil-rise mod made a significant improvement as well. I know one thing though, the fuel tank is smaller than any similar sized car I've had before.

Alex

I have found the CX5 to be very sensitive to how heavily you use your right foot, more so than just about any car I have ever owned. As I have stated previously the economy is really quite disappointing on the motorways. When I recently returned from a holiday 3 hours late it was necessary to push on a bit (that's all I am going to say officer!) so I drove somewhat faster than usual and over about 90 miles of M-Way averaged only 37 mpg with my 2WD 150 manual. On the other hand I filled up the other day and then meandered home across country, about 20 miles mainly either side of the 50mph mark and averaged 53mpg which is pretty good for a car of this size and weight.

As I write this a mobile tyre fitter is just putting 4 x Yokohama winter tyres on my car on the driveway which have an F rating for rolling resistance so it will be interesting to see what effect that has on my mpg. Then again it's all about grip in the winter and I will gladly forego a few litres of fuel if they keep me out of the hedges and ditches around where I live ;-). The mud at this time of year is as big a threat as any snow...

Has anyone else noticed how sometimes the current fuel consumption readout will suddenly drop?

I can be driving at 50-55 mph and it will be showing plenty of miles per gallon, yet other times under the same conditions it will almost halve, even when feathering the throttle as gently as I can.

Is this part of a dpf regen cycle or something? I can't hear anything unusual so I don't know what it is.

Last edited:
Left for work this morning, 3 inches of snow had fell overnight, quite wet but still deep, went around a quiet road, TCS off, and all I can say is I am very impressed with the grip levels. Even in 2nd gear, foot down before corners finished, the car stayed planted, no understeer, no wheel spin, no oversteer. Hard to tell if power was being sent to the back and if so how much. Certainly not the McRae style drift I was hoping for but very sure footed which is important.

Waiting for it to freeze properly and pack hard tonight and try again tomorrow morning!

The last tank only resulted in 35 mpg which isn't great. Was expecting nearer 40 mpg. My petrol vrs returns 33-34 mpg driven in the same way (if I'm not using the performance on it I can get 40mpg on a run) but the cx5 only has 1000 miles on it. Maybe the fuel consumption will improve with more miles...

Has anyone else noticed how sometimes the current fuel consumption readout will suddenly drop?

I can be driving at 50-55 mph and it will be showing plenty of miles per gallon, yet other times under the same conditions it will almost halve, even when feathering the throttle as gently as I can.

Is this part of a dpf regen cycle or something? I can't hear anything unusual so I don't know what it is.

if you have a diesel that could well be a dpf regen.

The last tank only resulted in 35 mpg which isn't great. Was expecting nearer 40 mpg. My petrol vrs returns 33-34 mpg driven in the same way (if I'm not using the performance on it I can get 40mpg on a run) but the cx5 only has 1000 miles on it. Maybe the fuel consumption will improve with more miles...

Sadly no - not for me anyway.

I got around 38mpg over the summer and now it's getting colder I'm back down to 35mpg.... I have approx 15000 miles done and consumption has not improved from what I got when the car was new. I previously had a Volvo C70 which I changed because I was getting mid thirties, so glad I went to the expense of changing..... Not.

Yes but only if you select the option in set up.

I've got that setup on mine, it can be a pain with the doors locking all the time, but I prefer it as I always know I've left the car locked.

Does anybody know if the doors automatically lock if left unlocked after a set amount of time?

Mazda, Cx-5 Diesel Estate, 2.2d [175] Sport 5dr AWD Auto
28,500 your true 43.1MPG 173.4G/KM Average True MPG: 46.3 MPG Average CO2: 161 Tax band: F Top speed: 127mph
Govt. claimed MPG: 51.4 MPG
Govt. claimed CO2: 144 Insurance gp: 21E 0-60: 9.4 seconds
Fuel cost per annum: * Find a Tesco filling station

When the lower-powered diesel engine is so good, there’s no point going for this one. Save your cash.

Mazda, Cx-5 Diesel Estate, 2.2d SE-L Nav 5dr

23,940 Your true 42.8MPG 174.8G/KM Average True MPG: 47.2 MPG
Average CO2: 158 Tax band: C Top speed: 126mph
Govt. claimed MPG: 61.4 MPG
Govt. claimed CO2: 119 Insurance gp: 18E 0-60: 9.2 seconds
Fuel cost per annum: * Find a Tesco filling station

This is a brilliant choice of CX-5. It has a brilliant engine, it’s reasonably affordable and it’s well-equipped.

http://www.whatcar.com/truempg/my-true-mpg#

I entered my driving stats, only altering congestion in line with the top and bottom selections, these figures are true to my returns.

Last edited:
Yes but only if you select the option in set up.

I've got that setup on mine, it can be a pain with the doors locking all the time, but I prefer it as I always know I've left the car locked.

Where in the setup is it? Mine locks as I walk away but if I walk away into the house and then my son shuts his door the car stays unlocked.

I got around 38mpg over the summer and now it's getting colder I'm back down to 35mpg.... I have approx 15000 miles done and consumption has not improved from what I got when the car was new. I previously had a Volvo C70 which I changed because I was getting mid thirties, so glad I went to the expense of changing..... Not.

Did a 55 mile trip today up and down an A road at about 60 ish and the trip computer said just over 50mpg, don't know how accurate the computer is or isn't, but it's the highest average reading I've seen so far

Where in the setup is it? Mine locks as I walk away but if I walk away into the house and then my son shuts his door the car stays unlocked.

I didn't realise it did that, both my wife and myself have keys so we have never seen that situation.

I can't remember were in setup, but I believe you need the engine running.

Look under personalization , 9.9 in the pdf manual

Last edited:

I assume you are using the keyless entry system. If so the key has to be within range of the sensors when the last door is shut, if not then the doors will not lock.
I have mine set to a loud beep so I can hear when the last door is shut and when the car locks as I'm walking away from it.

Did a 55 mile trip today up and down an A road at about 60 ish and the trip computer said just over 50mpg, don't know how accurate the computer is or isn't, but it's the highest average reading I've seen so far

Are you in the 175 AWD? If so I have no idea how you are getting consumption figures like that..... mind you I rarely drive as low as 60mph.

Back