How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Hi All,
Another UK owner joins the forum, well almost. I've placed my ordered for a 2.2D 2WD Sport without SatNav based on all the great comments on this forum. Expected delivery is currently showing as 25-Dec-13! I just can't wait, first new car in 10 years!
(alright)

I'll be buying a TT 6000 to complement the CX-5, it works and is 500 cheaper than the built in system and comes with lifetime map updates and lifetime traffic (yes) While I'm waiting for delivery I need to find a good alternative mounting option as I don't want to fix it to the screen, any suggestions?
(huh)

After test driving the CX-5 for a second time, including seating in the back I noticed that the door sill/frame for the back doors will need some sort of protection form the kids climbing in and out. The sill protectors aren't going to cut it, so I was thinking of using 3M protective flim/tape, what do you think?
(anyone)

I'll be buying a TT 6000 to complement the CX-5, it works and is 500 cheaper than the built in system and comes with lifetime map updates and lifetime traffic (yes) While I'm waiting for delivery I need to find a good alternative mounting option as I don't want to fix it to the screen, any suggestions?

Well done on the order - it's a great car in my view. As for the Sat Nav, mine's built in and I'm happy with it, especially since the last update which seems to have fixed the Live Services issue (fingers crossed!). However, it's a personal choice, and at a saving of 500 I don't blame you going for the TT 6000. On previous cars, when I used my TomTom One, I used Brodit mounts and clips, which did the job well. You buy them as two parts, the mount, either active (supplies power) or passive, which is specific to the device, and a clip, which is specific to the model of car, and clips to an air vent or other trim. The clip has a flat surface on it, to which the mount is fixed using supplied self tapping screws. The clips were very secure in my Fords and Vauxhalls, but have not tried the CX-5 clips, so can't comment directly. Go to the Brodit site http://www.brodit.com/brodit.html?pn=home
to enter the details of the Sat Nav and car to get the Brodit part numbers for the TT6000 mount (s) and CX-5 clips, then use those part numbers and Google (or your search engine of choice!) to find a UK supplier.

Last edited:
Has anyone with the satnav, who has installed the new software update v.10.850 for Mazda Navigation System NB1, noticed when updating if they still get the Quickfix Gps update included? This used to be a weekly satellite position fix but since the long awaited solution mine doesn't offer it.......Maybe another call to TT support.

Now you come to mention it, I don't think I have seen the quickgpsfix update included since I upgraded to v.10.850. Oddly enough I received an email this evening from TomTom saying a new quickgpsfix was available, so I connected using TomTom Home, and there was no such update offered. I followed the troubleshooting guide here http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16319/related/1 and deleted quickgpsfix from both the SD card (device) and pc, and tried to update again - still no quickgpsfix update was offered. So I'm guessing there is an issue, but I haven't updated very often in the past, and have never noticed any impact of not having the latest quickgpsfix

Got my email this am.

But If I click on the email "button" it directs to "my drive", not "home"

Having just created a back up card, and the recent update, I thought I could actually use the satnav, now it appears that once again I've got to spend my time pissing about updating cards.

What a crap company.

Has anyone done the QuickGPSfix update??

Got my email this am.

But If I click on the email "button" it directs to "my drive", not "home"

Having just created a back up card, and the recent update, I thought I could actually use the satnav, now it appears that once again I've got to spend my time pissing about updating cards.

What a crap company.

Has anyone done the QuickGPSfix update??

Hi Xtrailman, I got the Tomtom email too, was hoping it would fix the Quickfix Gps problem I've had since the 10.850 software update but I reckon it just covers certain removable satnavs. See

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/minor_detail/a_id/17852/

I think we still need to use Tomtom Home software for Mazda NB1.

The reason I'm concerned about the quickfix gps updates is that on my last Tomtom it froze when it couldn't see 4 satellites to start up and we were left in sunny Suffolk with an old AA book to get back up north, then they started the Quick fix updates which cured my previous sat nav and have always appeared weekly on the Mazda NB1 until the last fix.

Last edited:
I used Brodit mounts and clips, which did the job well.

I have been looking for a while now for something suitable for mounting my mobile (Galaxy S4) to the CX5.
I saw this Brodit mount but was a little concerned about it being mounted to the A pillar where I believe some airbags are sitting tight ready to explode my phone into my face at the first major bump.
I also saw the air vent mount but don't like the idea of blasting heat at my phone on long winter drives. Maybe I'm too picky.

I currently use, whenever sat nav (via phone) is required, a transparent sticky pad thing that the missus bought me. It just sticks to the dash, then the phone sticks to that.
It does look a bit.. temporary.. though so I too would be interested in other potential solutions.

I made a custom bracket to fit a universal phone holder in my last car, but there doesn't appear to be much spare dash area to install one on the CX5.
Maybe need to look at removing some dash panels or 'make' a suitable hole somewhere to bolt something in.
Anyway, shout if you have solutions that suit you.. (2thumbs)

I have placed an order for a CX5 last August. My local dealer had told me that mine was going to be from the October production batch and that it will be delivered in December. However he could not give me an approximate date. I can track a RORO vessel (Noble Ace) on its way to the Mediterranean Sea that was in Hiroshima on the 23rd of October and wonder if my car is on that vessel. Is there anyone who like me is waiting for an October produced CX5 and was given an approximate date of delivery? Thanks.

Last edited:
I've poste before about the car revving high when starting "cold", even in August.

Now in November when it really is cold, or cooler, and the car often starts cold WITH OUT revving high?

Can anyone explain what's happening, I'm happy for the car to start normally ie low revs, but can't find any pattern to establish when the car will rev its nuts off.

As I've said it will often start up with low revs with a genuine cold engine, setting off the blue engine temperature indicator is lit.

I did start a separate thread on this but can't find it, my profile only stores a limit number.

Hi Xtrailman, I got the Tomtom email too, was hoping it would fix the Quickfix Gps problem I've had since the 10.850 software update but I reckon it just covers certain removable satnavs. See

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/minor_detail/a_id/17852/

I think we still need to use Tomtom Home software for Mazda NB1.

The reason I'm concerned about the quickfix gps updates is that on my last Tomtom it froze when it couldn't see 4 satellites to start up and we were left in sunny Suffolk with an old AA book to get back up north, then they started the Quick fix updates which cured my previous sat nav and have always appeared weekly on the Mazda NB1 until the last fix.

Hi jy1

FYI when I tried this morning there was no sign of a QuickGPSfix update for my TomTom One either, which I hadn't attempted to update for over a year.
Also, it looks like you can check the latest QuickGPSfix version on your NB1 via TomTom Home. Once you have the SD card in your pc and TomTom Home running, go to 'Manage My Device' on page 2 of the icon menu, then from the 'Items on this Device' tab, click on the blue/white cross icon next to 'QuickGPSfix Data', then select 'more info'. This gives a numerical version number, in my case, 1378233595. This I believe is based on Unix coding and refers to seconds since 1 Jan 1970, which in real time means Tue, 3 Sep 2013 18:39:55 (using a converter here http://www.epochconverter.com/ ). I guess this should tell the TomTom servers that my NB1 needs an update QuickGPSfix - which it's not getting for some reason.

I have since managed to get my TomTom One to update QuickGPSfix via TomTom Home, with a combination of deleting files from the associated pc (in the ephemeris folder) and the TomTom one itself in the ephem folder. The QuickGPSfix version number for the TomTom One now shows as 1384342460, which converts to 13 November 2013, so I assume that this tells TomTom Servers when it next needs an update, and is the same version that an up to date NB1 should also be.

I've not had chance to experiment with the NB1 SD card and pc, maybe if I get time over the weekend I'll have a play - or maybe by TomTom will fix whatever issue, if any, they have on their servers. I don't think they have helped matters by sending out what looks like a broadcast QuickGPSfix update email with a link to update via MyDrive, when many users like us still have to use TomTom Home.

Last edited:
In addition to the above, I've just come across this on TomTom website - https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4271/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzgzOTM1NzM2L3NpZC9RNjFfTFJFbA==
In summary it says that QuickGPSfix for the Mazda NB1 Live is updated directly to the device, presumably over a valid Live service (which I have), which might suggest why it doesn't seem to update via TomTom Home.
It doesn't explain how you check if you've got the most up to date QuickGPSfix version on your NB1 though, so now I'm more confused over my findings re the file version number as displayed in TomTom Home.

Anyway, as I'm not getting any issues over this and was only looking at this to satisfy my curiosity , I'm giving up for now. I may have another look (and put the question to TomTom support) when I'm back from holiday in 10 days time.

Thanks KJO for your help,
prior to the long awaited fix the QuickGpsfix used to be seen in the Tomtom Home updates, perhaps the software update brings it down via the Vodaphone sim card through live services. Anyway only lost connections once in 310 mile journey to London and it soon reconnected (not like the 3 weeks it used to take).

Had another call from Mazda man today asking about the Live services, told him all was well, just awaiting my refund for one years live services, soon to be sent to me.

Anyway I asked why the nav didn't have a "back button" to go back to the previous screen, turns out there is one but its located on the commander, actually looks like theirs two off them, so still learning about the car!

Hi,

Now that the cold and damp season has started I've had to use the rear demister a few times, and I'm not impressed. It's actually difficult to say if it's working at all, certainly very slow in comparison to my previous car, a Golf. With that car at tickover you could hear/see the engine rpm change when selecting 'demist', but not on the CX-5.

Anyone else having this problem?

Do you mean the front or rear screen?
I have not had an issue with the rear screen, it seems to demist as quickly as any other car that I have owned.
With regard to the front screen my last car was a Mondeo with a quick clear front windscreen so I find it hard to compare. However I have not been disappointed so far.

No problem with my demist front or rear.

I haven't had to try it on a frozen screen yet, but its often used to demist the screens after a wet fishing day.
A car full of wet tackle very quickly steams up the windows.

If fact the car is just about perfect in all respects now the "live" services has been resolved, and I've ditched my Galaxy Y phone for a HTC wildfire.

No problem with my demist front or rear.

I haven't had to try it on a frozen screen yet, but its often used to demist the screens after a wet fishing day.
A car full of wet tackle very quickly steams up the windows.

If fact the car is just about perfect in all respects now the "live" services has been resolved, and I've ditched my Galaxy Y phone for a HTC wildfire.

Hi xtrail, the wildfire is a solid handset.

wildfire works fine with the cx-5 - I now have a htc one. no extras over the wildfire when connected to the car apart from reading out texts. but you need a 2014 for that and my car is a 2013. Annoyed that mazda uk havent repsonded to my query about a firmware upgrade for 2013 head unit to 2014 specs.

Yes it also reads them out if I press the speak button.
Although the voice is pretty dire.

Winter is here, a bit of snow today and the winter wheels are on, I forgot how noisy the tyres are once up to speed on a smooth road ie all roads here :)

I am keen to see what how this cars AWD behaves, many roads are left untreated here so I will have some fun rallying around and testing it out, my Impreza Turbo was impressive, light, plenty grip, very neutral to slide and drift, my Golf R32 was ok but was very understeery, I can imagine the CX5 will be similar but lets see.

MPG has plummeted latetly, but I am having some more fun with the engine, I was getting bored watching the on board computer! So now averaging 40 mpg which is still impressive for a car of this size and a heavier right foot. I dont do much more than 7000 miles a year so Im not worried about saving pennies of fuel.

All in all, enjoying the car, the cold brings out a few rattles but I will defeat them all this year!

Dr what tyres have you gone for, make, size, on what type of wheel?

I'm showing 43 mpg now its colder, with perhaps only 15% spirited driving.

Back