How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

My poor CX5 still hasn't made it to the dealer's yet. (boom06)

Hoping it will arrive early next week so I can aim to pick it up around Friday.

"Dad of Jon" Any initial thoughts? Positive or Negative? Any advice?

The Aluminum Silver looks awesome on the CX5, cant wait to get mine now.

I have the same colour and it really does look great. I have had mine for just over 3 months now and done just over 4000 miles. Overall impression - I love driving the car, it is smooth and quiet to drive, the technology works great, satnav is good and the audio sounds almost as good as the early Mazda 6's with the Bose system (that had better bass).

The downside? well I am heartily sick of listening to the dashboard rattles (it seems to develop a new one every few days), I have had to take it back in for the 'rising oil level' issue (for which they just took out some oil) and the mpg stinks in terms of the quoted figure. I have had 4 new diesel cars in the last 10 years or so and I know that they need to loosen up before returning better figures but I am currently showing 43 mpg - a long way from the quoted 61 ish. The other issue I have is that the tank is too small - even when full it shows at best 500 miles range - my old 6 would show around 700 miles.

The really annoying thing is that Mazda will not admit to anything being wrong with the car - rattle, what rattle? Only the Australian model suffer from the oil issue!

I have the same colour and it really does look great. I have had mine for just over 3 months now and done just over 4000 miles. Overall impression - I love driving the car, it is smooth and quiet to drive, the technology works great, satnav is good and the audio sounds almost as good as the early Mazda 6's with the Bose system (that had better bass).

The downside? well I am heartily sick of listening to the dashboard rattles (it seems to develop a new one every few days), I have had to take it back in for the 'rising oil level' issue (for which they just took out some oil) and the mpg stinks in terms of the quoted figure. I have had 4 new diesel cars in the last 10 years or so and I know that they need to loosen up before returning better figures but I am currently showing 43 mpg - a long way from the quoted 61 ish. The other issue I have is that the tank is too small - even when full it shows at best 500 miles range - my old 6 would show around 700 miles.

The really annoying thing is that Mazda will not admit to anything being wrong with the car - rattle, what rattle? Only the Australian model suffer from the oil issue!

Havent you been given a different dip stick, and had the ECU update?

This is why I'm holding back from ordering until the end of the year, i currently monitor this site and the Aussie one.
They do come across though as a set of whingers.

I get a little oil rise on my xtrail over a year, but nothing to panic about.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1979291&p=97

Last edited:
Havent you been given a different dip stick, and had the ECU update?

This is why I'm holding back from ordering until the end of the year, i currently monitor this site and the Aussie one.
They do come across though as a set of whingers.

I get a little oil rise on my xtrail over a year, but nothing to panic about.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1979291&p=97

No offer of anything, as I mentioned, they don't acknowledge a problem. As for the amount increased, it was past the 'X' after 2000 miles.

My poor CX5 still hasn't made it to the dealer's yet. (boom06)

Hoping it will arrive early next week so I can aim to pick it up around Friday.

"Dad of Jon" Any initial thoughts? Positive or Negative? Any advice?

The Aluminum Silver looks awesome on the CX5, cant wait to get mine now.

dont want silver, dont want silver, dont want silver, oooh that looks really good in silver. that's it i'm having silver! (yes)

no rattles so far maybe a later build date than colpart. 20 mile drive from dealer to home... It shifts.. lovely drive on the 17" wheels (I only test drove the 19" wheeled version) the 150ps diesel is a peach. advice? : I bought a 16Gb memory stick and put 20+ cds on it better than any cd-autochanger. Found the commander dial better than poking the touchscreen. The I-stop came on twice on the way home. No problem as I wasn't the first in the queue it started no problem for me and no-jerking as shown here.....

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/mazda/cx-5/suv/video#video

if you're at the front of a queue or stop at a junction that may not be so good. I'll leave it on for now.

I ordered welcome lighting, car mats & boot liner with bumper protector.

Nothing negative to report with the car. Lots of positives.

My dealer said there is space for a spare type (perhaps they were reading this forum) also put in enough fuel for 190 miles which was nice. So I can fill up somewhere familiar.

I wasn't too pleased with the front numberplate fixing. You can get a front numberplate holder. i'll have to look into that because I have euro plates the plastic screw covers for the licence plate screws look a bit of a mess (a white screw cover on a blue background). If you can stick the front plate to the plate holder that looks a lot tidyier. I don't want to sound a bit anal but my previous car's plates were stuck on front and back and it looks that little bit classier.

hope yours comes soon it will be worth the wait. It was for me.

Mine hasn't, dealer said oil change at 12000/ annual service, didn't acknowledge problem in uk..... picked up last Thursday.
Seems to be a great drive, responsive engine, gearchange slick, like plastic trim on door bottom as it keeps the mud off the sills, like the way drl turn off with hand brake- no hassle at traffic lights/ queues; taking time to get used to auto lights and auto wipers, sat nav was a pain to update due to my card reader not recognising the SD card but 6.99 replacement and its working. Hoping to try out the awd in the snow as its falling heavilly in Northumberland this morning, glad its got a switch to turn off traction control as that helps on our hills when it gets sticky. Comparing to our 2008 Subaru Forester 2.0 D I am very pleased, wife complaining that the headroom on passenger side means she has to duck, seat doesn't adjust for height. The istop hasn't worked yet but thats rural Northumberland. Overall (breakn)

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Good to see all you folks starting to get your cars here in the UK. I was tempted to buy brand new, but eventually beat down the Mazda salesman enough last October on a demo with 320 miles on the clock and took my old mondeo off me for a good price. My only gripes so far - got a dodgy audio connection on my satnav, so the audible directions have dropped out (which I don't use), but an easy fix I hope when I get a chance. I think the ipod controls are a bit clunky. Push the wrong button and find yourself at the letter A on the artist list, when you swore you'd got as far as F or G.....

Got new rubber mats ready to go, as the carpet ones just won't survive a Monmouthshire winter....or 12 year old with muddy shoes.

As for istop, kind glad it just holds you for that extra bit longer. Unlike my other halfs Merc which launches you like a jet off the deck of a carrier.

we were supposed to be getting ours around the same time. Have they lost it? (huh)

it should be coming from rosyth?

Rosyth is just over the Forth Road Bridge - about 5 minutes from my house - I'll take the long way into work tomorrow and see if I can spot any CX5's sitting about......

we were supposed to be getting ours around the same time. Have they lost it? (huh)

it should be coming from rosyth?

Exactly, Starting to get a bit worried. Dealer hasnt seen or heard where the car is at the moment, its a week overdue now. (boom06)

Going to phone again tomorrow and hopefully I will get some proper answers!

Great news.

Ask them if its had the new dipstick fitted would you.

Collected. Happy, Happy Boy. Will post pics later...

xtrailman - had a long conversation with the dealer. Mine has the new dipstick, he tried to tell me it's all to do with a different Aussie engine spec. Hmmm. Anyway, will be watching closely.

mine reached the dealer today and I will pick up my crystal white on Friday!

Now..severe weather expected Friday with lots of snow...which my AWD CX5 should handle with aplomb...question is will I be able to get to the dealer in my 6 which is rubbish in snow...

Now..severe weather expected Friday with lots of snow...which my AWD CX5 should handle with aplomb...question is will I be able to get to the dealer in my 6 which is rubbish in snow...

I wouldn't risk it, a 2wd car could skid into your new cx5 (boom05)

I thought of getting awd for bad weather, but a couple of years ago in snow nearly got taken out by an out of control saxo, there was nowhere for me to go and I just missed a bang. It almost hit me regardless of how many wheels my car drives . If I had the awd and it was snowing i'd still leave it at home.

mind you if you could guarantee all the loons who drive too fast in snow were staying at home........

Back