How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

"Havent used my car since the service and vaccuum pump etc as Autoglass haven't been able to get the correct windscreen and the crack is now too big to use safely. Just heard that someone will be around Friday PM to fit the screen, that is exactly 2 weeks since they first brought round the wrong screen,very poor service!! "
Guy has just left and screen still not fitted as the rain is just too heavy to fit a windscreen and doesn't look like lifting for a while. New appointment now for Monday PM.

Mine was in for 2 weeks for the vacuum pump, but as i had a hire car and was in Cyprus for some of the time it didn't really matter. Not used the car since the work was done though because of the screen so i hope that the work done in the service and recall is all ok for when i start using the car again.

I find it difficult to understand why Mazda haven't sorted out spares for this campaign (recall).

Still I've been put on the fast track due to going on holiday shortly, if Mazda can't source the part then they promise to provide a hire car with a tow bar. CS phoned to confirm today.

Just hope they don't damage the screen! In fact I'll be giving GK Worksop a visit to check my car is being stored securely.

Update on Sportage, the voice commands actually work!

Bill for two weeks hire was around 420, this must be costing Mazda a fair amount in repair bills.

From other forums, the majority of cars getting checked have needed pump changes. Maybe I was just lucky, not sure, my dealer told me nothing at all about what was being checked and why.

As the wife said as least finding it faulty shows the part has been checked not something we can also be 100% sure of.

Our 2.2 diesel sport arrived today. We love it! It was certainly worth the wait. My husband took me out in it after work and just driving in it made me smile. Lots to learn - can't believe the size of the owner's manual. It feels like a real grown up car. Loving the sound from the Bose speakers.

We've not really been that bothered about cars before (we had an i20 before this) but I can't see us going back from the luxuries in this!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 173
I wish I had waited longer before buying the CX-5, your model will be as good as it gets being near the end of its model life.

Compared to the Sportage loan car I have it's a limousine.
Wife yesterday was in the car for the first time, straight away she says the seats are not very comfortable, I hadn't noticed, but what I have noticed now the novelty of the loan car has gone, is the crude tractor engine under the bonnet.

Performance isn't bad for a 135bhp engine but economy is dire considering the power outputs, showing 35 plus MPG at the moment when my CX-5 with 74 pound feet more torque and 37bhp, will regularly show 40 to 43mpg.

The sportage isn't cheap to get the nearest equivalent to mine a 181bhp version with 282 pound feet, I would be looking at a list of around 28K for the K4 version.
Its surprised me how difficult I find the cars locking procedure, having to lock the car using a fob, it's really is a pain, having had keyless now since 2009. I've forgot to lock it twice already being use to the auto locking set up on mine.

Its not all bad though, the car has a full size ALLOY spare wheel with enormous storage around it and inside. Also love the side steps makes the car look butch. And the boot is as big as the CX, as is the passenger space, not bad for a shorter car, it feels wider though even though it isn't.
Plus it fits in my garage with its 2.1 m entrance.

Last edited:
WESPY, the car looks minted! You will love it.

I have a white one now, the cloth interior, 17" alloys, but after testing a blue reflex model with all the gizmo's and I couldn't resist, the cabin is a nice step up. Luckily I got a better offer for the trade in than expected, hopefully the new car is ready in a week or so.

Finally got my windscreen fitted and it was nice to drive the car again, so smooth and lively. When i turned the engine off i got a "key battery low" warning, so thought i would try the spare key as i have never used that. When i turned the engine off the same warning also came up even though i have never used that key. Are they programmed to come up after about 2 years irrespective of charge, seems a bit strange. Has anyone else had this warning and did a new battery cure it?

XTRAILMAN: The KX4 sportage you talk about may have a list price of 28k but discounts are available and it comes with every extra that you can think of including the automatic parallel parking and coupled with the 7 year warranty is very good value for money. The road tax is a bit dear though as the co2 levels are much higher than the CX5 and they are a bit thirsty. In the next couple of months the engine will need to be upgraded as it will need to be EU6 by September.

Finally got my windscreen fitted and it was nice to drive the car again, so smooth and lively. When i turned the engine off i got a "key battery low" warning, so thought i would try the spare key as i have never used that. When i turned the engine off the same warning also came up even though i have never used that key. Are they programmed to come up after about 2 years irrespective of charge, seems a bit strange. Has anyone else had this warning and did a new battery cure it?

Yes, a new battery cures it. You don't need to reset anything, just open the fob and swap the old battery for a new one and away you go. I watched a YouTube video showing how to open the fob beforehand just so I didn't break the casing trying to get it open.

Isn't the fob battery covered under the 3 year warranty?

I have the warning up and have asked the garage to change it.

It's a 50 cent repair if you replace the battery yourself so why worry about warranty coverage. Maybe your dealer will do it free for kudos but, IMO, a battery is an expendable item.

I always order button cells from an on-line discount retailer because they are usually about 1/10th the cost of local stores. Plus, postage on a few small batteries is minimal.

Sounds like they may be programmed to come up after 2 years then as both my keys get the message and i have never used the spare key.

New Vac pump is now at the dealer, so 4 working days for them to get one.

Our 2.2 diesel sport arrived today. We love it! It was certainly worth the wait. My husband took me out in it after work and just driving in it made me smile. Lots to learn - can't believe the size of the owner's manual. It feels like a real grown up car. Loving the sound from the Bose speakers.

We've not really been that bothered about cars before (we had an i20 before this) but I can't see us going back from the luxuries in this!

Good luck Westy2805! - Your looks just like mine - got it in March this year and have driven 7674 miles . 2nd CX5 I've had since Mazda launched it - and its still the best car we ever had by a long chalk!. I think I'm familiar with most things now, except never have figured out how to get the welcome home lights to work. We got the safety pack and the smart braking system has had occasion to activate both front and rear (not due to my driving !) - never had that circumstance in my previous one and its not something you want to test, but glad to know it works. I see quite a few CX5's round this area now - quite a change from when I got the first one after launch. Its a good looking motor, I find it really comfortable and a great drive - loads of power in the 2.2. See you didn't go for the AWD - be interesting to know what mpg you get Mines AWD and I get around 43 atm. The AWD was really good in snow and ice in the old model - not had any snow or ice since I had this one so that's an experience yet to happen.

Well was happy to get the CX back today and return the Sportage. average read out when I returned the car was 37 mpg.

Final bill with the deduction for the oil and filter paid for under the recall came out as 170, so a good result.

Well yet again I've had to return the CX-5 to the servicing garage due to be over filled, they had to remove a quarter of a litre (his words).

I also had a very informative conversation with the Mazda Master Technician, he apparently said the brake pump was changed by him, but not the oil and filter, and couldn't apologise more.

I knew after speaking to him for 5 minutes that he was totally clued up on the Sky active engines. He said the brake pump recall was genuine and not a smoke screen for other problems. He also said that of all the Mazda's sold he had only had to change one camshaft.. He works for GK group. He also said what I had read elsewhere that the oil was specially designed to cope with diesel dilution, and could in fact take a lot more than the X mark with out damage.

I did mention that my MPG always increased by a couple of MPG before service, he confirmed that it was due to dilution which I suspected.

As for the software upgrade he said it was for the few cars reported with erratic idle when cold, jerky ride, none of which I have ever had.

I did mention the awful fast warm up in summer on a cold engine, and he said it wasn't a problem, and the update had slightly increased the revs !

He ended up by saying he saw all the failures for KIA, FORD, and MAZDA on the training course's he was sent on, and the Mazda wasn't a problem car.

Last edited:
Nice info, thanks for sharing and good to hear for the horses mouth so to speak.

I think much of what he says makes you feel that Mazda are a good brand to be with overall, the diesel engine is a peach so it would be a shame for it to get a bad name.

I pick up my new car next Thursday, can't wait. Part of the change is due to the potential problems with the early built cars. I may be have more piece of mind if it wasn't for the terrible service I get from my local dealer, their attitude really stinks. I really don't want to have to go there for any issue at all. But a major reason to change is that I like the 2016 model and I am upgrading to leather etc, and in blue reflex :)

Will post some pics the end of next week.

I must admit I was starting to think that buying a Mazda had been a mistake, thinking back both Xtrails I've had were both into the model life by at least a couple of years, so I missed the early turbo failures on the T30, and the DPF problems with the T31.

He also made a point of saying there is a lot of tripe posted on the forums by people that don't actually know the facts. Apparently on the training courses he goes on the failures are all available to see, so the information isn't actually kept secret as I thought it would be.

He was recently asked by a customer which brand Ford or Kia had the most problems, he said Ford but only because they sell about 4 times as many Fords as Kia.

I'll go get a test drive of the updated car before my warranty runs out.

I'll go get a test drive of the updated car before my warranty runs out.

Hi Xtrailman

Better late than never I can report back on a test drive I had on 11th May of the 2015 (2016 U.S) model year. It was a 2.2 175 Sport Nav manual AWD built in December 2014 according to the seat belt labels and my findings were:

Good
Engine seems quieter.

Lot less wind noise at speed.

Tyre noise reduced.

Manual gearchange very slick

Generally seems more solid.

Display screen clearer

Electric handbrake works well which I prefer to manual handbrake.

Suspension seems about the same.

Not So Good

Annoying reflection of the air vent silver trim in the side window over the door mirror. You have to "look past it" to view the door mirror.

Ironically, I had gone back to my supplying dealer on the Isle of Wight whilst we were on holiday as I'd got the oil level rise approaching the "x" mark. The oil and filter were changed as a "goodwill" gesture as nothing showed up when plugged into the computer. The service manager did say that some dealers were overfilling the oil. I had the previous service carried out at a well known East Midlands dealership in Loughborough who are now multi-franchise but used to deal with Ford exclusively.(sssh) I can only assume they had overfilled the oil? Anyway, it seems to be behaving now. Long story short I was given the 2015 model as a courtesy car for the day and drove all around the island giving it a good workout. If I had the dosh I would have one now but got to save up first(sad1)

Cheers

Jonno21

Back