How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

For the camshaft problem, you just need to check your vin number and see if it falls under the batch that are affected.

Finally got round to entering my Vin into that recall link.

According to that website my car has no recalls??

What's your vin number? Mazda don't like to list these technical updates as recalls so you may need to dig a bit deeper.

I have started looking for another car, considering the new CX5, then I came across the new Honda HR-V with the 1.6 diesel. Looks nice, a 453 ltr boot which is big enough. Might wait until I can test drive one. Anybody any experience with the relatively new 1.6 diesels from Honda?

Last edited:
I have started looking for another car, considering the new CX5, then I came across the new Honda HR-V with the 1.6 diesel. Looks nice, a 453 ltr boot which is big enough. Might wait until I can test drive one. Anybody any experience with the relatively new 1.6 diesels from Honda?

Quite a good review here http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/honda/hr-v/2015-honda-hr-v-16-i-dtec-review/1354834 which may be helpful to you. I had a CRV before the CX5 and liked it, although the Mazda drives better. The HRV looks like it might be a little small but I haven't seen one in the flesh. Mercedes GLA also looks interesting although it definitely is smaller in the rear particularly.

Interesting review. Although I have been looking through the forums to see what is being said about the diesel version. There is an interesting thread here about the pro's and con's of choosing a petrol or diesel.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/new-cr-v-petrol-or-diesel.17101/

Then there is some more info here

http://hondakarma.com/threads/why-does-the-dpf-filter-get-clogged-with-soot.8700/

It seems that the DPF regeneration has as many problems as the CX5 has, apart from the rising oil. My CX5 does low miles and mostly short trips, so reading this is not giving me a lot of piece of mind!

Next weekend I have booked a test drive of a CX-5 2.5L auto, reviews on the German forum are very good, my wife drives the car mostly, she likes manual gearboxes but says if the auto works as well as a previous DSG car then it would be fine, find out at the test drive though.

Well my car was in for a 2 year service and vacuum pump recall and software update yesterday. When i went to pick it up i was imformed that my vacuum pump is bad and as there aren't any in the country and its a safety issue they will be keeping my car and they have fixed me up with a Vauxhall Insignia diesel, its a basic model and is agricultural to drive. They say the wait could be a week or 2 but i am off to Cyprus next week so not that bothered. I will now have to cancel autoglass on Thursday as i dont have the car. I asked Mazda dealer about a new screen under warranty but they informed me that they have never done any under warranty as most people just seem to go to autoglass and get it changed so consequently Mazda dont see a problem. Mine has split from the centre down from the edge of the screen.
I wonder if the vacuum pump and camshaft problems stems from the dilution of the oil with dpf regens no body seems to have any info in the dealership or they are deliberately keeping it quiet. Driving this Insignia though shows me how good the CX5 is for smoothness and power though.

Got my car back yesterday. They say that they only fitted a vacuum pump, when i asked about a camshaft they said it wasn't needed. It also had the software update which i was informed was to hel[p cold starts but when i started up to drive away it went straight to fast revs so this update obviously wasnt meant to cure the high tickover that sometimes occurs under certain conditions.
Just got to get my screen done now as they said it was due to stone chip!!! and not a warranty issue. It is being done by autoglass today. I was told that i will need to take it to Mazda after its fitted to get the 'advanced driver assistance systems' recalibrated. Did anyone else need this and if so how much did it cost?

Just got to get my screen done now as they said it was due to stone chip!!! and not a warranty issue. It is being done by autoglass today. I was told that i will need to take it to Mazda after its fitted to get the 'advanced driver assistance systems' recalibrated. Did anyone else need this and if so how much did it cost?

I had a new screen a year ago and there was no word from Mazda or Autoglass about having advanced thingmybob recalibrated...seems bizarre as all the sensors come with the car rather than the new screen which should mean they end up exactly where they were beforehand. Have you a newer model with lane departure warning or something?

Mine is a June 2013 and also has the safety pack, but i agree the electronic box of bits should be where it is now but on a new screen.

Mine is a June 2013 and also has the safety pack, but i agree the electronic box of bits should be where it is now but on a new screen.

I had a windscreen replaced over a year ago, I too have the safety pack along with the other usual sensors. I have never had any sensors recalibrated, not was it mentioned by Mazda or the screen installer.

Autoglass recommended that we have the safety pack features recalibrated after our latest windscreen replacement. All the features worked normally without needing calibration, so I guess it's more of a backside covering statement than a requirement.

What's your vin number? Mazda don't like to list these technical updates as recalls so you may need to dig a bit deeper.

Vin sent via PM

Well, got a suprise in the post box! After my recent calls from my local dealer about bringing my car in for a software update, then they denied they were doing any other things to the car (they done an oil change, vac pump check etc) then gave the car back and then a week later charged for an oil change at the next service (although the bill says they only replaced 1l), so in the post box today was a nice letter from Mazda HQ saying thankyou for the trust in the company and that they hope I understand the recent work on my car is to ensure the long life quality bla bla bla and enclosed was a gift voucher for any Mazda accessories (except wheels and tyres) to the value of 600.

Well, I am just about to test drive some newer models, so I can't get anything that needs Mazda to fit to the car (it states the VIN number any parts have to be installed too) so I am looking at getting a new Thule roof box and flogging it for a couple hundred francs, a electric cool box for the boot and some spare mats. Nothing else really appeals to me. Better than nothing I guess!

Well, got a suprise in the post box! After my recent calls from my local dealer about bringing my car in for a software update, then they denied they were doing any other things to the car (they done an oil change, vac pump check etc) then gave the car back and then a week later charged for an oil change at the next service (although the bill says they only replaced 1l), so in the post box today was a nice letter from Mazda HQ saying thankyou for the trust in the company and that they hope I understand the recent work on my car is to ensure the long life quality bla bla bla and enclosed was a gift voucher for any Mazda accessories (except wheels and tyres) to the value of 600.

Well, I am just about to test drive some newer models, so I can't get anything that needs Mazda to fit to the car (it states the VIN number any parts have to be installed too) so I am looking at getting a new Thule roof box and flogging it for a couple hundred francs, a electric cool box for the boot and some spare mats. Nothing else really appeals to me. Better than nothing I guess!

Sounds like a good idea to buy something you might get some resale value out of.

My CX 5 is going into the dealer this evening for them to look at a couple of issues. One is the high revs at startup, for which they're applying the software update but I'd be interested if anyone else has had transmission issues. This appears to be an intermittent thing and occurs when selecting 1st or reverse and releasing the clutch. There is what can best be described as a grunting-squeak from the transmission. It's almost as if the two clutch plates are slipping and its the noise they are making. There doesn't seem to be any actual slippage of clutch though and it seems to manifest itself more in damp weather.

Typically it hasn't been heard of since I arranged for the car to go in!

My car is up to date, the high revs are still present (only when the weather is warm) and as far as I know it is supposed to be like that.

Yes the software update doesn't cure the fast tickover on some cold starts as Mazda seem to think that its as it should be. Although how revving a stone cold engine before the oil has got around is right i dont know, and also haven't been able to find out why it actually does it. Something to do with emissions i think.

Havent used my car since the service and vaccuum pump etc as Autoglass haven't been able to get the correct windscreen and the crack is now too big to use safely. Just heard that someone will be around Friday PM to fit the screen, that is exactly 2 weeks since they first brought round the wrong screen,very poor service!!

Last edited:
My CX 5 is going into the dealer this evening for them to look at a couple of issues. One is the high revs at startup, for which they're applying the software update but I'd be interested if anyone else has had transmission issues. This appears to be an intermittent thing and occurs when selecting 1st or reverse and releasing the clutch. There is what can best be described as a grunting-squeak from the transmission. It's almost as if the two clutch plates are slipping and its the noise they are making. There doesn't seem to be any actual slippage of clutch though and it seems to manifest itself more in damp weather.

Typically it hasn't been heard of since I arranged for the car to go in!

Well surprise, surprise.......the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the transmission. Software update was applied but seems to make not a jot of difference.

Bit peeved though, having picked the car up I was travelling down the motorway only to realise that the bonnet hadn't been secured properly. It started vibrating like crazy and I had to pull over to the hard shoulder to close it properly. Not good.

That's crap service!

The high revs is to warm the cat as fast as possible I think. Although the logic for the high revs is very strange. Mine never does it in winter, but most of the time in summer. There is a table of data on the german forum for the criteria that must be met for the high revs to apply, can't find it now, but I think it always happens if the temp is above 15 deg C and the engine is below a certain temp, but does not happen if the temperature is below a certain temp (around 5 deg C or something like that).

Never heard of the clutch noise, when I press the clutch quick during any gear change, I often hear something that is hard to describe, it's like the twoot noise from an owl! This is normal I guess, I heard it on a new 2016 model I just test drove. The only problem with my gearbox is it often jumps out of reverse. Sometimes you can never get the stick all the way into reverse, sometimes it's hard to pull the stick back to neutral again, again, seems a know problem in the german forum.

Anyone any experience with brand new cars having sticky boxes, could hardly get the car I test drove into 5th and 6th! Was thinking a notchy box would be normal on a new car but not that notchy? Also the car had a strong burning smell, guess the exhaust was burning off some dust, grease, oil etc, I know that's perfectly normal.

Well car went in for service today, and its still there.

To what I can make out they test the Vac pump, it was found to be out of tolerance and not safe to drive!!
Part is on back order so I'm expecting a long wait, hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

I have phone CS to tell them I need my car due to needing the car for my caravan holiday shortly, helpful chap at CS has prioritise locating a spare or failing that providing a car with a tow bar, the hire dept of GK Nissan don't have a car fitted with one.

Meanwhile I'm driving a new Sportage, its not bad to be honest, the engine is a lot cruder than the Mazda but does the job, overall ride and handling its not far behind a CX-5.
The satnav seems better, but the reversing camera not as good. MPG isn't as good either showing 38mpg. I've only driven it 20 miles so still getting to know the car.

Updates to follow.

Well car went in for service today, and its still there.

To what I can make out they test the Vac pump, it was found to be out of tolerance and not safe to drive!!
Part is on back order so I'm expecting a long wait, hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

I have phone CS to tell them I need my car due to needing the car for my caravan holiday shortly, helpful chap at CS has prioritise locating a spare or failing that providing a car with a tow bar, the hire dept of GK Nissan don't have a car fitted with one.

Meanwhile I'm driving a new Sportage, its not bad to be honest, the engine is a lot cruder than the Mazda but does the job, overall ride and handling its not far behind a CX-5.
The satnav seems better, but the reversing camera not as good. MPG isn't as good either showing 38mpg. I've only driven it 20 miles so still getting to know the car.

Updates to follow.

Ours was at the dealer for three weeks before the vac pump part arrived, during which we had a hire car provided by Mazda. When we picked it up, the service manager cheerfully told us he had another dozen CX-5's currently off the road and waiting for the same part.

Back