How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Anybody in UK had a new windscreen under warranty? Mine cracked yesterday from the middle at the top where the wiper sensor is,no stone that i can see has hit it. Looking online seems quite common and some have had new screens under warranty maiNly in US so wondered if anyone in UK has had new screen and also did a Mazda main dealer do it or one of the windscreen companies? Got the second service and the recall work next week so hopefully they can do it then.

We've had the windscreen replaced twice in less than three years, but under insurance not warranty. The Autoglass guy said he does a lot of CX-5's as the windscreen thickness is particularly thin and prone to chipping and cracking easily. I'd never previously had to replace a windscreen in 30-odd years of motoring.

Here's a strange one. The CX-5 went in for it's 50k service on Friday, and when dropping it off the service manager cheerfully told us that as there was a potential recall for a brake vacuum pump which may or may not be applicable to our vehicle, the oil and filter change which was necessary to verify the pump would be covered by Mazda and the cost of the service reduced.

Result, right? Erm...

Later that morning I get a call to say that the brake vacuum pump does indeed need replacing but the part required is on back order. As a result, Mazda have told them that the car should not be driven and that we will be given a hire car while the dealer waits for the part to arrive.

My concern here is this: if the potential issue with the brake system means that the car shouldn't be driven, why were we not advised by letter to get the car checked as soon as possible? We've had a recall letter in the past (for a sensor) so they know where we live. Also, if I had taken the vehicle to a non-Mazda garage for a cheaper service, would I even have known that there was potentially an issue with the brakes?

Has anyone else received a recall letter, or been made aware of this issue?

Mine is in today for the vacuum pump check and a free oil change with modified oil filter, and apparantly a software upgrade, the girl didn't know what that was for. I am also getting the 2 year service so will still cost 200 as they apparantly do brake fluid/air filter/pollen filter as well.

Guys, this is a big issue, the check is to look for the potential camshaft problem that is happening to many owners of the 2013 model.

Everyone with a car that falls under the VIN number will get checked, some need parts changed, some don't. It's still possible for the camshaft to fail later anyway!

Have a look in the engine section of the forum.

I just paid off my car and will be changing to a newer model, just because of this issue. There are about 55 people in the German forum who's cars have had camshaft problems and spend weeks (or months) with a courtesy car.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...D-CX-5-73-333-miles-Have-you-had-this-problem

Last edited:
I thought it was a brake problem?

Anyway I've phoned Mazda UK customer services today, 01322622651
They describe the recalls as campaigns, of which my car has two, one for the brake pedal, the other for a rough idle while cold.

I did ask if the latter was for the good awful fast revs, but she didn't know, so I assume that involves the software mod.?

Thanks to others posting I was aware that Mazda are footing the oil change bill so they have knocked 50 of the bill, I think it should have been more but at 180 for the second service its not too bad. No where as good as the 300 service pack that wasn't available when I bought mine.

Guys, this is a big issue, the check is to look for the potential camshaft problem that is happening to many owners of the 2013 model.

Everyone with a car that falls under the VIN number will get checked, some need parts changed, some don't. It's still possible for the camshaft to fail later anyway!

Have a look in the engine section of the forum.

I just paid off my car and will be changing to a newer model, just because of this issue. There are about 55 people in the German forum who's cars have had camshaft problems and spend weeks (or months) with a courtesy car.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...D-CX-5-73-333-miles-Have-you-had-this-problem

What car have you gone for?

My wife loves the CX5 so it will probably be a new model, diesel again, maybe the 175ps, depending on cost. I really like the car too, it suits our needs perfectly. It handles not bad (for an SUV) and it looks much nicer than many other SUV's in a similar price range. I only had 9 months left to pay so a payment upfront now won't make much difference, just means a new car will be paid off earlier than planned.

The software update doesn't fix the high rev on start up, that will always be there. I really hate it too, although if I park my car outside in the drive, instead of the garage, it usually doesn't do the high revs, there is a list of parameters that must be met for the high revs to be activated, temperature, humidity etc. My car does is about 90% of the time in summer when in the garage, 30% of the time in summer if in the drive way, and about 10% of the time in winter where ever it's parked.

Maybe I will buy one of these, I will enquire later in the month as I am flying from Basel to Edinburgh tomorrow, off to see my folks for 2 weeks with my family, rainy Scotland here I come, have booked a few days up at Lossiemouth beach, plenty of sand to let my 2 year old run about and I can watch the jets at the local base, happy days!

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/mazd...rans=20&vehid=3243002&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2015

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/mazd...rans=20&vehid=3121849&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2015

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/mazd...rans=20&vehid=3037344&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2015

Update on recal on gearbox got my cx5 back from dealer tonight new gearbox fitted due to needle bearing being over sized in gearbox on shaft on 5th and 6 th gear.No more rattle the technician said he has 5 to do bet you haven't got that recall

I am flying from Basel to Edinburgh tomorrow, off to see my folks for 2 weeks with my family, rainy Scotland here I come, have booked a few days up at Lossiemouth beach, plenty of sand to let my 2 year old run about and I can watch the jets at the local base, happy days!

Have a good trip - has been lovely sunny day here in Fife today, in contrast to the forecast so you might land lucky!

Well my car was in for a 2 year service and vacuum pump recall and software update yesterday. When i went to pick it up i was imformed that my vacuum pump is bad and as there aren't any in the country and its a safety issue they will be keeping my car and they have fixed me up with a Vauxhall Insignia diesel, its a basic model and is agricultural to drive. They say the wait could be a week or 2 but i am off to Cyprus next week so not that bothered. I will now have to cancel autoglass on Thursday as i dont have the car. I asked Mazda dealer about a new screen under warranty but they informed me that they have never done any under warranty as most people just seem to go to autoglass and get it changed so consequently Mazda dont see a problem. Mine has split from the centre down from the edge of the screen.
I wonder if the vacuum pump and camshaft problems stems from the dilution of the oil with dpf regens no body seems to have any info in the dealership or they are deliberately keeping it quiet. Driving this Insignia though shows me how good the CX5 is for smoothness and power though.

I had an Insignia when my car was trailered in because of the high oil level thing. Agree the Insignia was rough, underpowered, and the single most uncomfortable seat I have ever experienced.

Funny that, my hire car I just got is an insignia, seriously underpowered, where is the torque of the diesel. My daughter slept as soon as we got in the car, so I had to make a 40 min journey last 1.4 hrs, went the m8 to Glasgow then m74 and off at Abington near where I live, steady 60mph, no faster, sometimes slower, 43mpg lol, rubbish!

Regarding the camshaft, the failure is due to a material quality problem, the metal used is the wrong grade. When I'm on my pc later, I can find the info sheet and post it on here. The vac pump test is tsb AE027.

Found the info on this TSB, can`t find the PDF with details on the camshaft failure, will keep looking, this was in German, stuck it through a translator and corrected it a little.

Oil filter / vacuum (vacuum) pump TSB

as usual, this is a service action for the diesel

Mazda has now issued a TSB where with build year 17.03.2015 to 12/14/2014 the oil filter must be changed. The vacuum pump is checked for function. Just as I understood there in the filter a pressure relief valve opens too early and unfiltered oil is pumped back into the engine. This can sometimes destroy the vacuum pump and impair the braking effect. Now do not panic - the brakes still work I'll have to make it with me until after the Rostock Wrench meetings ...

Your FMH should contact you soon, and tell the tale. If not, you can ask the information itself here:

TSI Number: AE027A
CX5 VIN area: JMZKE **** ** 109955-248136

The VIN-area would be corrected on 24/03/2015. The upper value before - 340 917 - was wrong ...

The thing takes about 1.5 hours. The oil is drained here, flushed the engine, changed filters and new oil pure. So if someone has inspection soon, it's a great opportunity to make the oil change on Mazda costs For me the whole 10 days, unfortunately for some this info comes too late ...

Does anyone know if the camshaft and vacuum pump failure is due to poor oil quality because of diesel in the sump or faulty materials of camshaft/vacuum pump. My dealer says he is waiting for new pumps to arrive but if oil quality or poor camshaft material is to blame then they will be wasting their time. I assume that the pump is driven by a lobe on the camshaft, is that right? Dont like the idea of iron filings running around my engine, surely they have to stop it happening before they modify the oil filter to trap more bits.
Does anyone know of a site in English where the details are published by Mazda about the problems with the diesel engine?

Poor quality camshaft, a new camshaft will be installed, engine oil flushed and refilled along with the other parts. The wear on these failed camshafts is pretty shocking, I can't lay my hand on the PDF that shows the details, not sure where I saw it.

Last edited:
Poor quality camshaft, a new camshaft will be installed, engine oil flushed and refilled along with the other parts. The wear on these failed camshafts is pretty shocking, I can't lay my hand on the PDF that shows the details, not sure where I saw it.
Why are they replacing the pumps then or are they worn also? I wasn't told that i needed a camshaft also so is it likely that they dont want me to know or that my camshaft is ok. Are most people getting camshafts as well?

Good question, I am trying to find out that info too. I had my car tested, the dealer asked me to bring the car in for a software update, they needed the car for a whole day. On drop off and collection, I asked again for more info and was told only a software update was done.

Checked the book when I got home, oil and filter changed! Many dealers are keeping very quiet about this check for whatever reason.

Just spoke to Mazda UK (correct tele number is 03457 48 48 48) who confirm my car is not subject to any outstanding recalls; they also said the software update I got a couple of months ago was probably related to the rising oil issue. They also recommended for future use a site which indexes various vehicle recalls http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/vehicle-recall

They didn't comment on whether there are known camshaft or brake pump issues for other CX5 build dates so people may for their own peace of mind contact them, or a dealer, to check whether your car is affected by any of these issues.

Just spoke to Mazda UK (correct tele number is 03457 48 48 48) who confirm my car is not subject to any outstanding recalls; they also said the software update I got a couple of months ago was probably related to the rising oil issue. They also recommended for future use a site which indexes various vehicle recalls http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/vehicle-recall

They didn't comment on whether there are known camshaft or brake pump issues for other CX5 build dates so people may for their own peace of mind contact them, or a dealer, to check whether your car is affected by any of these issues.

I did get through on 01322622651, but that number was given to me when I had a dedicated CS man sorting my LIVE services, among other things.

I did get through on 01322622651, but that number was given to me when I had a dedicated CS man sorting my LIVE services, among other things.

Actually that's the number I did use as someone (perhaps you xtrailman) posted it elsewhere on this site. It's actually the direct line for the head of customer services but understandably he'd prefer people call the standard customer services 03457 48 48 48 number..!

Back