How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Just finished the free trial of live services, paid online for the next year and all I get for the past 3 days is the spinning wheel, no services or connection, can't log into my account ,no sim id or details showing. Tomtom website says the Live Service is now working! Tried suggestions from Tomtom support pages-- factory reset/ allowing roaming details to be collected. Nothing worked, ended phoning Tomtom helpline who asked for readout from network information screen which said connecting and had blanks on sim id, model, mcc, diagnosed as hardware fault and needs a new headunit. Now off to mazda dealer to convince him its got a sim card and I don't mean the ssd map card.

There are too many of us on here having exactly the same issue with the TT live services. When I bought my car I asked the sales guy how much a new head unit would be if it went faulty, he said it's a Mazda, they never have problems. Can't wait to see that guy again!

Think mine could well be a 3rd getting booked into Newport for the same issue. My Nav could usually be bribed into working by using Tomtom's website advice but in this past few weeks, no such luck.

True to their word Newport Mazda have called Mazda UK and inform me that the "likely" problem with the TT Live Services is a defective card reader, they are ordering one from Netherlands - lets hope they are right and it sorts the problem.

Well I'm about to have my second unit replaced.

Same as others on here, no live services, no sim identification, and only a buffering image when I try to connect to live services.

If you look on TomTom Discussions regards Live services, there are several others and in the majority they have the CX-5.

Take a look Tom Tom Discussion Live Services Page 25

Hopefully Mazda will feel the effect with the replacement costs, and customer complaints, and they will either tell TomTom to get their act together, or go to another service provider.

I will update on my Live Services when it is fixed, and in the appropriate forum.

Alex

Last edited:
Totally pi$$ed off right now.

Car was back in garage after an motor error message, something to do with the exhaust I was told last time. I told them what I read on the forums and wanted the sensor change. So the car was in all yesterday and today I called at 4pm and they said its ready to collect. (not sure if I just got lucky and called as it was finished or they just couldnt be ar$ed calling me).
Walked into the reception, she handed me the keys and said your cars ready. Now, if I didnt say anything they would have just let me walk out, so I asked the tech sitting next to her, what has been done to the car?, He sighed and then mumbled "update"....and that was it. I got a bit angry and asked what were the problems he found and he said, there were 2 errors, because we were limited for time, we didnt do a full diagnostic, so we have updated the car and that should fix it. We drove 20 miles and there are no problems, I tried to calmdown and took the keys and left.

Went to the car, turned it on and BAM....check motor error. Walking in to the garage and went mental, the techs face was a picture!

After some heated conversation, I asked specifically, what was the failure code and message, he said "exhaust pressure sensor error", he never would tell me what the second error was apart from "its nothing like the 1st error". So I was raging, explained what I knew about the problem, he did say you cant trust forums blah blah blah blah, but I was waiting for that answer so I told him what I thought, I told him to contact Mazda Switzerland before I do and change the sensor, I am not in a rush to get the car back before the weekend, just do the job right. He said he cant simply change the sensor, Mazda Switzerland have to confirm they are allowed to change the part so I said to get it organised as I read the part can have a lead time of a few days and I need the car next Wed as Im going on holiday.

So, this time if its not fixed, contact Mazda Swiss and then off to another Mazda garage just a little further away. The service, attitude, knowledge of the techs I spoke to is shocking. I changed from VW because I thought they were bad but this is unbelievable. At least at VW you got a full explanation what they done, the car was cleaned inside and out.

Update to follow....

and yes, I am only on my 2nd tank of diesel!

Last edited:
Quote Dr Watson:- He said he cant simply change the sensor, Mazda Switzerland have to confirm they are allowed to change the part End Quote

This is the same that I have been getting regards my Sat-Nav replacement. Make me wonder if Mazda don't trust their own repair agents.

I have spent many years running a significantly sized repair company for and on behalf of several major domestic appliance manufacturers. The two largest agencies undertaken for a Manufacturer from Sweden, and another from Turkey.

Compare a sub 200 washing machine to a 20,000 plus car. We as repair agents never needed to seek authority, or approval to any product. In fact there isn't a capping system in place, unless several years old & subject to insurance.

Therefore surely the garages should be allowed to make their own executive decisions. Without this makes them rather impotent.

Alex

I was very surprised at the comment he made too. But, as Swiss German is not my 1st language, I just checked with my wife what he said, or how he worded it exactly. She says he said it in a way that meant, "we dont believe you that the sensor is the problem, there for we need Mazda CH to allow us to change a part that a customer demands". Fair enough, but they seem to have no other solution themselves.

Now Im not into boasting about my own knowledge, but I made sure I was wearing my senior Eng ABB T-shirt, showing what my job is, and that I work for the biggest engineering company in the country...I think by the end he sort of realised I knew a little about cars at least.

I told him, there comes a point, when you need to start changing parts and waiting to see if its solved, so for a pressure sensor error (he said those words exactly "abgas drucksensoren error") I said change the sensor, then change the cable and connector, then software, check for bad contacts etc etc etc ...and, at the same time report it to Mazda CH to see if this is common in Europe or Japan, or Oz etc, then he said they will start to do that. I had to tell them to do it!

He also asked a lot about how far I drive regularly, which was a little strange as we never discussed oil rise of DPF regens etc. I have not checked the oil yet, wish I had, but will start to do when the cars back. Fingers crossed they have some news tomorrow. Sometimes I think no matter what the problem is, it can be solved or not depending on the techs and managers attitudes and willingness to get the bottom of the problem. From what Ive seen of the 2 techs and manager at this garage, that worries me more right now than having a broken car!

oh, and just before walking out, he said, its funny because we cant get the error by driving the car around, we went quite far in it today. Then I told him that I already explained that it seems to only happen when the car is started. I told them this already...in one ear, out the other.........

I had a similar problem with my first xtrail, a Nissan dealer was particularly useless, actually had the new car number plates made up incorrectly 3 times!
They went bust.
Another dealer replaced them, they were both useless and dishonest.

I then tried a 3rd garage, got top service and helpful staff.
Try another dealer.

Or do what some in the US have done contact Mazda direct and get a case number to present to the garage.

Totally pi$$ed off right now.

Car was back in garage after an motor error message, something to do with the exhaust I was told last time. I told them what I read on the forums and wanted the sensor change. So the car was in all yesterday and today I called at 4pm and they said its ready to collect. (not sure if I just got lucky and called as it was finished or they just couldnt be ar$ed calling me).
Walked into the reception, she handed me the keys and said your cars ready. Now, if I didnt say anything they would have just let me walk out, so I asked the tech sitting next to her, what has been done to the car?, He sighed and then mumbled "update"....and that was it. I got a bit angry and asked what were the problems he found and he said, there were 2 errors, because we were limited for time, we didnt do a full diagnostic, so we have updated the car and that should fix it. We drove 20 miles and there are no problems, I tried to calmdown and took the keys and left.

Went to the car, turned it on and BAM....check motor error. Walking in to the garage and went mental, the techs face was a picture!

After some heated conversation, I asked specifically, what was the failure code and message, he said "exhaust pressure sensor error", he never would tell me what the second error was apart from "its nothing like the 1st error". So I was raging, explained what I knew about the problem, he did say you cant trust forums blah blah blah blah, but I was waiting for that answer so I told him what I thought, I told him to contact Mazda Switzerland before I do and change the sensor, I am not in a rush to get the car back before the weekend, just do the job right. He said he cant simply change the sensor, Mazda Switzerland have to confirm they are allowed to change the part so I said to get it organised as I read the part can have a lead time of a few days and I need the car next Wed as Im going on holiday.

So, this time if its not fixed, contact Mazda Swiss and then off to another Mazda garage just a little further away. The service, attitude, knowledge of the techs I spoke to is shocking. I changed from VW because I thought they were bad but this is unbelievable. At least at VW you got a full explanation what they done, the car was cleaned inside and out.

Update to follow....

and yes, I am only on my 2nd tank of diesel!

New dealer after I get the car back for sure, my local dealer is about 3 miles away, the other about 5 miles so its no hassle at all. Will keep trying garages until I find the right people.

I will also look into contact Mazda CH.

Looking at Mazda.ch, there are 8 Mazda dealers, all with nice homepages and workshops, within 10 miles of my house, so I am happy to try them all until I find the right mechanic :)

Last edited:
Garage called, sensor has been replaced, its ready to pick up. Picked up the car, only the receptionist was there, she was in a very good mood, garage full of cars with ballons for an open day tomorrow.

Asked for a copy of service report but she said no, that goes to Mazda CH and you can ask them for the report.

So after a few kms, car seems fine. Fingers crossed, any other problems and off to another dealer.

Thanks for the help with the problems so far.

Really glad its sorted, nothing worse than a broken car.

Garage called, sensor has been replaced, its ready to pick up. Picked up the car, only the receptionist was there, she was in a very good mood, garage full of cars with ballons for an open day tomorrow.

Asked for a copy of service report but she said no, that goes to Mazda CH and you can ask them for the report.

So after a few kms, car seems fine. Fingers crossed, any other problems and off to another dealer.

Thanks for the help with the problems so far.

Hi, You have the same model CX5 as me, what has your MPG been like and do you just use the computer as your reading or brim the tank and do the maths??

Hi, You have the same model CX5 as me, what has your MPG been like and do you just use the computer as your reading or brim the tank and do the maths??

Are you asking me? We don't have the model but close.

I am only on my 3rd tank and mazda put a few litres in recently when it was getting fixed which has thrown off my own calculations a bit. But to sum it awe up....

Motorway 70mph GPS speed, approx 50mpg. Could improve if road was flat and less tunnels where I need to slow down then speed up every 5 mins.

Drive to work, mix of town and A road, 50/50. 43mpg.

Driving about like its stolen.....35mpg.

On a nice flat piece of autobahn, I reset the computer and sat at 55mph, for about 10 km I had 64mpg.

The computer seems to be accurate to with one or two mpg. I had the range left at 15 km and only got 49 litres in so there is plenty reserve. Very happy with this, considering the size, weight, shape and AWD.

All depends how much welly ye gee it!

Just finished the free trial of live services, paid online for the next year and all I get for the past 3 days is the spinning wheel, no services or connection, can't log into my account ,no sim id or details showing. Tomtom website says the Live Service is now working! Tried suggestions from Tomtom support pages-- factory reset/ allowing roaming details to be collected. Nothing worked, ended phoning Tomtom helpline who asked for readout from network information screen which said connecting and had blanks on sim id, model, mcc, diagnosed as hardware fault and needs a new headunit. Now off to mazda dealer to convince him its got a sim card and I don't mean the ssd map card.

Spoke with Newport Mazda yesterday, they've had some kind of circular from Mazda UK - the solution to the problem is to replace the card reader. It seems that the update of the card with subscription to Live Services or maps results in the reader being unable to recognise the changes and leaves the unit "hanging". They've ordered a replacement reader unit from Netherlands, hope I can get it fitted in next week or two.

Spoke with Newport Mazda yesterday, they've had some kind of circular from Mazda UK - the solution to the problem is to replace the card reader. It seems that the update of the card with subscription to Live Services or maps results in the reader being unable to recognise the changes and leaves the unit "hanging". They've ordered a replacement reader unit from Netherlands, hope I can get it fitted in next week or two.

Be interesting if other dealerships have had that information.

I had unit number 3 replaced earlier today, and that one failed on test. Now awaiting yet another one.

There is quite thread developing on this in LIVE TRAFFIC UPDATES HERE Seems like a common problem.

Not happy.

Are you asking me? We don't have the model but close.

I am only on my 3rd tank and mazda put a few litres in recently when it was getting fixed which has thrown off my own calculations a bit. But to sum it awe up....

Motorway 70mph GPS speed, approx 50mpg. Could improve if road was flat and less tunnels where I need to slow down then speed up every 5 mins.

Drive to work, mix of town and A road, 50/50. 43mpg.

Driving about like its stolen.....35mpg.

On a nice flat piece of autobahn, I reset the computer and sat at 55mph, for about 10 km I had 64mpg.

The computer seems to be accurate to with one or two mpg. I had the range left at 15 km and only got 49 litres in so there is plenty reserve. Very happy with this, considering the size, weight, shape and AWD.

All depends how much welly ye gee it!

the official consumption figures for awd 150ps and the 175ps awd are identical. its where you compare manual vs auto and/or 2WD vs AWD that they differ. Of course if there was a 175ps 2wd manual, on offer I'd have bought that.

as it stands I have to make do with ONLY 380NM torque instead of 420NM :)

if Mazda released an 'unlock' of the engine parameters to enable this they could have an extra nice little earner.

Its a very nice engine the 148bhp version.
However I have gone for the 173bhp version, torque peaks at 310 pound feet at 2K revs.

But it also gives out 280 pound feet over a wider rev band than the 148bhp version.

148bhp gives 280 from 1800-2600 rpm
173bhp gives 280 from 1700-3100 rpm.

While the fuel and ved appear to have the same figures.

I went for the 173bhp only because I tow and wanted 4wd.

the official consumption figures for awd 150ps and the 175ps awd are identical. its where you compare manual vs auto and/or 2WD vs AWD that they differ. Of course if there was a 175ps 2wd manual, on offer I'd have bought that.

as it stands I have to make do with ONLY 380NM torque instead of 420NM :)

if Mazda released an 'unlock' of the engine parameters to enable this they could have an extra nice little earner.

Hi, Are you still getting the 44MPG? I have just bought the exact same model and I was told it will avaerage about 38MPG . The computer is said to read about 10% too good. Are you brimming the tank and doing the calculation thing to work out your MPG? My Santa Fe always read about 35MPG on the computer but the real world consumption was 30MPG. Not too bad for a very large SUV.

I'm a Brit, I am here, and i have a CX-5!
Had it 3 weeks today, just under 2000 miles on the clock and a supposed average of 44mpg which i am pretty impressed with considering the engine is supposed to be bedding in!

Hi, Are you still getting the 44MPG? I have just bought the exact same model and I was told it will avaerage about 38MPG . The computer is said to read about 10% too good. Are you brimming the tank and doing the calculation thing to work out your MPG? My Santa Fe always read about 35MPG on the computer but the real world consumption was 30MPG. Not too bad for a very large SUV.

Its a very nice engine the 148bhp version.
However I have gone for the 173bhp version, torque peaks at 310 pound feet at 2K revs.

But it also gives out 280 pound feet over a wider rev band than the 148bhp version.

148bhp gives 280 from 1800-2600 rpm
173bhp gives 280 from 1700-3100 rpm.

While the fuel and ved appear to have the same figures.

I went for the 173bhp only because I tow and wanted 4wd.

I agree, I had 320NM from my old car (I was happy with that) and which was heavier so it's all an improvement for me. Plus the standard power diesel has a better rev band than my old car. Due to my circumstances I don't need a 4wd. If the weather ever gets that bad in South Wales I can work from home, but If I needed to tow I'd probably have gone for 4wd. I'd have snapped up a 175ps 2wd in an instant. I'd prefer to give Mazda 400 for a chip tune rather than a 3rd party company, after all Volvo offer it officially on some of their vehicles. they could make some easy money here if they had enough sense. After all you can get 175ps in a 2wd Mazda 6.

Back