How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

dad of jon,

That sounds ominous; I'm expecting to collect my new SE-L Nav on 1st September! Had you heard there were other problems, or was your comment related to the on-going TT matter?

nb1

dad of jon,

That sounds ominous; I'm expecting to collect my new SE-L Nav on 1st September! Had you heard there were other problems, or was your comment related to the on-going TT matter?

My take on the nb1
The unit works well, when connected but.....
The unit has only worked for 4 months or so on my cx5.
The symptoms are that the unit does not see the network ie no signal, then you have the umbrella showing bottom left with no signal.
Switch off and start again and there are no simdetails etc.
Leave the car overnight, and the unit will show sim details etc, but if you have no network signal the details all dissapear one by one.
You only connect when you have a signal at start up. The unit does not spring into life once the unit is switched on.
Mine sprang into life during early June but has now failed to work for the last three weeks.
My diagnosis surely has to be that if the unit is not seeing a signal it has to be hardware.

dad of jon,

Sorry mazda-man. I was referring to the dealers inability to give xtrail an earlier date to fetch the car in.

it's the new '63 plate release sept 1st. Xtrail already has his car so getting new sales out of the door takes priority over booking existing customers in.

My dealer is tucked away in a rural area. I've always been able to get a service appointment within a week.

Hi Buzz
I've been given arrival at dealer 4th Sept, must be a solid date as they have sent out the additional extras package to me. Gap, service package etc..
Personally not interested in GAP etc,
but has anyone on the forum opted for the paint protection Supaguard application? Is it worth the cost starting at 200 appreciate your experiences.

Hi Buzz
I've been given arrival at dealer 4th Sept, must be a solid date as they have sent out the additional extras package to me. Gap, service package etc..
but has anyone on the forum opted for the paint protection Supaguard application? Is it worth the cost starting at 200 appreciate your experiences.

Hi Sopranos CX5,

Mine's supposed to arrive at dealer 24 Aug. In my original negotiations for the car I managed to get a little off the list price, and the only 'free' extra they offered was bizarrely the Supagaurd protection, which I didn't particularly want . . . but obviously wouldn't turn down. Otherwise no mats, mud flaps etc were included, so had to pay for them. I'll let you know how shiny the car is!!!

Interesting you mentioned a service package, because I'd asked what deal I could get (my previous car had 3 yr package for 250), but they said there was no package available. Strange.

Hi i got that diamond brite treatment and mats for 0.00 and 1200 of list
i have had static from dealer no coms ? expect they will ring when they want payment

I've got a CX-5 on order - and have been slightly concerned by the Live Services issue. Aside from this does the Nav Unit have any other functionality issues?

Thanks in advance

Hi Buzz

It depends on how they apply the product? If it is applied properly it's take quite a while and dealers just want to get the stock out of the showroom and take your money. Personally I wouldn't bother, you can do it yourself properly for around 50.

Hi Sopranos CX5,

Mine's supposed to arrive at dealer 24 Aug. In my original negotiations for the car I managed to get a little off the list price, and the only 'free' extra they offered was bizarrely the Supagaurd protection, which I didn't particularly want . . . but obviously wouldn't turn down. Otherwise no mats, mud flaps etc were included, so had to pay for them. I'll let you know how shiny the car is!!!

Interesting you mentioned a service package, because I'd asked what deal I could get (my previous car had 3 yr package for 250), but they said there was no package available. Strange.

There is a service package but not like the sort some premium brands offer. The service deal is a monthly direct debit to cover the 1st 3 annual services and fixes the price today. Basically it allows the cost to be spread over the year.

I spoke to the salesman that sold me the car and now got it booked in two week from yesterday.
Problem is I doubt they will have spares or order any until they can guess what the problem is.

If it was me I would replace the sim card as a minimum.

Sorry mazda-man. I was referring to the dealers inability to give xtrail an earlier date to fetch the car in.

it's the new '63 plate release sept 1st. Xtrail already has his car so getting new sales out of the door takes priority over booking existing customers in.

My dealer is tucked away in a rural area. I've always been able to get a service appointment within a week.

I've got a CX-5 on order - and have been slightly concerned by the Live Services issue. Aside from this does the Nav Unit have any other functionality issues?

Thanks in advance

The nav works but is hard work sometimes, and not cheap at 700.
My previous Xtrail sat nav 2009 version was excellent, it gave traffic for free, and was faultless over 4.5 years.

If you are happy using a portable nav I would cancel the Nav.

The TT nav is a con really, you get a 90 day trail of live services, then its chargeable around 50 a year.
You also get one free map down load in 90 days, then after that its chargeable, something around 60 I think for a year.

Hi Buzz

Hi Sopranos,

I was offered it but declined. I had paint protection film (3m venturesheild) applied instead. whole of front bonnet and bumper for 500. A relative had Supaguard applied and said it wasn't worth the money. It might look better on a bright coloured car I guessing ?

Some comments re the above various issues....

TomTom - I have had a number of portable TT devices over the years and having found them to be better than comparable Garmins etc. didnt hesitate to have it specced onto my CX5. When the Live services, particularly the traffic, work well it's the best thing on the market, not perfect but better than anything else. The charges for Live services and map upgrades are pretty standard even on the portable units though I think some of the newer units now include these features for free. I do subscribe to the Live services but I don't upgrade the maps. So far so good with my TT, I did lose the Live services for a couple of days but they came back as quickly as they went. Next time it happens I shall check if they are working on my portable unit which will at least identify whether the issue is specific to the car or TTs servers.

Service package ...very disappointing. My previous Jaguar XF had a 3 year servicing cost of 1300 but I purchased a "pack" from the dealer for 795 so a major saving. When I enquired of my local Mazda dealership they offered me a cost of approximately 775 but with NO savings whatsoever, just the ability to spread the cost over 3 years. Let me see now.... As much to service a CX5 as a Jaguar, hmmm, I don't think so. I shall save the money myself and then just ring around the various Mazda dealers to obtain a best offer as I have been doing with my MX5 with some effect, last service reduced by 30.

Love the car but Mazda dealers have some way to go in terms of customer experience.

...and finally, am currently in Canada for a couple of weeks, plenty of CX5s over here but some different shades of colour that I have seen, the red is certainly different from that in the Uk.

waited soooo long

Hi all the cars here now the fun begins so many mods waiting to apply

Attachments

• IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Thanks in advance
Mine worked fine for 9 months, I didn't bother with live updates so I wasn't aware of the problems with it. Mine now gets lost! seriously, she doesn't seem to know where she is at times and the map just keeps rotating as it tries to find satellites. It has re-booted itself, invented islands and turns that don't exist, told me to take a turn after I have gone past it and sometimes just doesn't know where we are.

It goes in tomorrow for them to take a look - I don't expect them to do anything other than to tell me to reset and update it - which I have of course already tried. When it was working by the way, I thought it was pretty good, much better than having a tacky device stuck to the windscreen and a wire trailing to the power out.let

Sometimes the Nav refuses to work at all. All you get is the Tom-Tom symbol on start up, then straight to the audio screen. Not even a beep if you hit the nav button.

Turn on & off the ignition a couple of times, and it works. Another idiosyncrasy is sometimes the blue-tooth phone not recognised, again trial and error and if you are lucky might work.

All faults always been intermittent, and has appeared on all the units I've had to date.

All in all the only let-down but hopefully the Tom-Tom fix when they get around to it, will be a different service provider.

Alex

Have you made a back up map card and tried that?

Mine worked fine for 9 months, I didn't bother with live updates so I wasn't aware of the problems with it. Mine now gets lost! seriously, she doesn't seem to know where she is at times and the map just keeps rotating as it tries to find satellites. It has re-booted itself, invented islands and turns that don't exist, told me to take a turn after I have gone past it and sometimes just doesn't know where we are.

It goes in tomorrow for them to take a look - I don't expect them to do anything other than to tell me to reset and update it - which I have of course already tried. When it was working by the way, I thought it was pretty good, much better than having a tacky device stuck to the windscreen and a wire trailing to the power out.let

If I could only predict 6 numbers on a Saturday night with such accuracy, in which case I wouldn't need Tom Tom! You guessed it, they reset everything - because that is what Mazda have told them to do along with being told to blame the software. In other words, they get the owner/driver to try and get service from the other party - TT blame Mazda and Mazda blame TT.

Xtrailman - no I haven't yet, I only heard about the trick yesterday. I will get a new card and try it, any idea what size of memory is required?

The existing card is 4gb. With not a lot of free space.
But I did read of someone who used a 8GB card that is supposed to be quicker, its a Sandisk extreme pro sdhc
Not cheap though.

At present I've just backed my card up to home2, so any new card can be used to download it, once the card has been put into the cars nav and formatted or whatever it does.

If I could only predict 6 numbers on a Saturday night with such accuracy, in which case I wouldn't need Tom Tom! You guessed it, they reset everything - because that is what Mazda have told them to do along with being told to blame the software. In other words, they get the owner/driver to try and get service from the other party - TT blame Mazda and Mazda blame TT.

Xtrailman - no I haven't yet, I only heard about the trick yesterday. I will get a new card and try it, any idea what size of memory is required?

Last edited:
Just quick update. I popped into my Magna Mazda to have an issue looked at (turns out it wasn't an issue as the component i was worried about doesn't exist on my model), but they replaced the dip stick and re-flashed the engine as part of a recall/advisory.

I've got a 2013 SE-L Diesel.

Regarding servicing I'm planning on taking mine to HendyMazda as they offer a discount through some sort of membership card..unless people have experience otherwise.

Aside from the general live service issues has anyone elses TomTom search totally stopped working?

Back