How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

That's good for the auto.

I had a test drive in a 2015 car auto version last week, but the average was in the high 30's. Really liked the updates and thinking of going auto next year as I'm looking at towing 1700kg, towing 1565kg at present.

The auto is just over 1700kg kerb weight so a better ratio.

I've also be more diligent this time round with the satnav, it gets free map updates for 3 years now, and live services can be bought for under 100 for three years, so not bad on a annual cost rating.

I'd be interested what you do get on the motorway, as yet I've not been on a run since service, but prior to that I would be lucky to see 40mpg at motorway speeds.

Quick question but how can you see if you've had a regen ?

Best way to look for one is to monitor the instantaneous read out. Some one might have a better way, personally I don't see why they don't have a discrete dash indicator.

Dear all

Just a quick open ended question for a bit of advice on the below please ?
Always appreciate the help that we've shared since 2013 when I got my Sport Nav 2.2 and be interested in your thoughts as I think we're a well balanced group of people here................., so many thanks in advance !

Had the CX-5 since September 2013 and the birth of my first born son, love the car and bar it being slightly noisy at speed, it's a cracker.
My wife and I found out at the beginning of June that we're expecting twins at the beginning of December ............ so since then I've been doing the dutiful job of working out all the practicalities etc so move or extend the house, stay or run off to Nepal to become a shepherd etc etc
I've solved the vast majority of the issues but I cannot come close to working out the car situation !
In December I'll have the twins and my son will be 29 months old.
We do 10-12.5k a year, so not a lot of mileage.

Options:
a) sadly lose the CX-5 and the depreciation over two years will mean I could have leased it cheaper but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Go and buy a brand new motor i.e. new s-max (Poss but Ford), XC-90 (Lovely but too expensive), Land Rover Discovery (Hmmm and too expensive), Sante-Fe (not sure) or other ??

b) again let the cx-5 go and buy a second hand one of the above but will downgrade on the standard of car in my opinion.

c) Keep the CX-5 and get the roof rails and roof box for the times that we'll travel with all the stuff we need.
But can I get three kids across the back of the CX-5 in relevant car seats ? Pretty sure the new twin pram will fit in the car for day to day travel.
What options are there for the roof rails and boxes ?
This option might get me through another couple of years when I can save up and get the new XC90 second hand ?!

Let me know your thoughts if you like and genuinely stuck, it's doing my head in !!

Many thanks

Thanks for the responses to the above, much appreciated.

Has anyone got any experience of having three kid seats across the back of a CX-5 ?

Have people seen the artist impression that Mazda have released ahead of the Frankfurt Motor Show reveal of a new car ? Mazda KOERU SUV Concept.
http://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/release/2015/201508/150807a.html
Rumoured to be a possible 7 seater replacement for the CX-9 ?!
Which would obviously help me out if they can get it on the road by next summer / autumn !

To see a regen i usually just have the average mpg diplayed and you see the average go up a bit if you are driving gently and down a bit if you are driving faster, but when you are driving steady and the av mpg drops steadily and sometimes in big jumps then you know its doing a regen, sometimes also get a slight smell. Obviously the more miles since the last av mpg reset then the less noticable it will be, but you will still see a small drop when you feel it shouldn't be dropping at all.

Just remembered I also asked the dealer to check the scbs? auto braking system, as it had never activated during two years even though I thought it should have two or three times in fact.

It did operate yesterday, chap at a island in front didn't set off as expected, island was clear, he may have stalled, I was hitting the brake anyway but the auto system I believe beat me too it, again working after the remap.

That's good for the auto.

I had a test drive in a 2015 car auto version last week, but the average was in the high 30's. Really liked the updates and thinking of going auto next year as I'm looking at towing 1700kg, towing 1565kg at present.

The auto is just over 1700kg kerb weight so a better ratio.

I've also be more diligent this time round with the satnav, it gets free map updates for 3 years now, and live services can be bought for under 100 for three years, so not bad on a annual cost rating.

I'd be interested what you do get on the motorway, as yet I've not been on a run since service, but prior to that I would be lucky to see 40mpg at motorway speeds.
Back from Northumbria and suffolk now and the mpg is definitely better than it was before the service with software upgrade. Over 1040 miles i averaged 44.9 and working out the miles against the fuel used it was 45.2. This was a mixture of motorway at full speed and A roads. I also only had 3 regens which is less than i would normally expect so maybe this has been corrected also or perhaps more cruising has created less particulate matter.

I wish Mazda was more up front with what's been done, I'm regularly showing 44 mpg average on the read out with virtually no motorway and typically a max of 15mile trip. Prior 41 plus was the norm, when I first bought the car I was seeing upto 43mpg, but that dropped after the first service. All local driving semi rural.

Another factor is I now have over 13K miles on, and Xtrail wasn't fully run in until around 20K miles.

I'm also looking into alternatives to the CX-5 for when the warranty expires, unless of course Mazda can offer a decent price for an extended warranty. Car is 3 years old next July, new BMW X1 will get a test drive come October ish.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850618-2016-bmw-x1

Last edited:
Also noticed last week that the auto wipers and the washers weren't working, obviously since the new windscreen as i hadn't used them since then. I can hear the washer motor running so not a fuse and it looks like a water tube under the bonnet is not connected, looks to me like the other end is in the inner wing so might be tricky, it probably came off when they took all the wiper and screen trim off. The auto wipers dont even respond if i put my hand over the sensors at the screen top so could be a fuse or broken wire or just sensor position. Have reported to Autoglass and they are sending someone next week to look.
Xtrailman: I dont know about the new X1 but the old one was quite low rent and didn't do anything particularly well and also wasn't much higher than a normal car. I believe the old chassis was based on the e91 (3 series estate) so was old tech. The new one will probably be based on the new F31 (3 series estate) and should feel a lot more modern as the new f series range are very high tech and good to drive. I have had quite a few new BMW's and they really do have low running costs in the first 3 years and you often only have 1 service and brake fluid in that time. If you make sure you only get a reasonable spec with a few options the resale prices are also very good after 3-5 years.The new 8 speed auto really is a peach in the cars i have tried it in and give better mpg that the manuals coupled with imperceptible changes and sophisticated technology that locks up the torque convertor a lot more than older boxes can doing away with some of the torque convertor inefficiencies. Having said that the CX5 auto box is also very good and apparantly the skyactiv auto is a cross between a torque convertor auto and dual clutch auto giving the best of both systems and it seems to work well. Good luck wioth your test driving next year, perhaps you could also consider an F31 (3 series estate) as you would get a lot more for your money and perhaps even a 6 cylinder engine they are beautiful to drive.

The CX-5 auto I'm told is an Aisin box, the X1 is a 8 speed Aisin box, I've read the CX box is good but I do think they could look at extra gears.

The old X1 always had a bad press and I had no interest in it for that reason, it has been said its BMW's worst car.
That was RWD, the new X1 is now FWD hence the Aisin auto instead of the ZF, its also on the same platform more or less as the Mini, not that I care what chassis its based on to be honest it means nothing to me.

I think BMW also do a very cheap 3 years servicing deal, unlike Mazda.

Residuals on the old X1 were poor, if the new car proves popular then that can change very quickly.
75 for a X1 space saver, 330 for a Mazda space saver.

And a X1 BMW fixed tow bar for 600 could be value for money.

75 for a X1 space saver, 330 for a Mazda space saver.

I noticed on the USA BMW site a space saver spare was an extra $150 option. Do you know what you get if you don't pay for that option?

And please don't tell me the UK CX-5 comes without a spare tire if you don't cough up the additional money?

Last edited:
I noticed on the USA BMW site a space save spare was an extra $150 option. Do you know what you get if you don't pay for that option?

And please don't tell me the UK CX-5 comes without a spare tire if you don't cough up the additional money?

Not really sure what you are asking or saying?

We only get a can of gunk and a nasty cheap compressor, plus I think a jack, I'm not sure on the latter as I bought the kit for the space saver, but modified it to take a full size wheel.

That loses around 40mm in boot height. And if you do go for the rip off space saver Mazda say you cannot tow with it.
A full size wheel weights around 27kg so its a easy weight saver for Mazda to leave it out.

I'm asking what you get instead of a compact spare if you don't buy that option.
Hopefully not a can of "fix-a-flat". Or do they sell you a car without a jack/spare?
We only get a can of gunk and a nasty cheap compressor, plus I think a jack, I'm not sure on the latter as I bought the kit for the space saver, but modified it to take a full size wheel.
That loses around 40mm in boot height. And if you do go for the rip off space saver Mazda say you cannot tow with it.
A full size wheel weights around 27kg so its a easy weight saver for Mazda to leave it out.
Is it true once you used the "fix-a-flat" can of gunk, the tire is destroyed as you can't get rid of those gunk be injected into the tire?

Is it true once you used the "fix-a-flat" can of gunk, the tire is destroyed as you can't get rid of those gunk be injected into the tire?

It doesn't actually destroy the tire but cleaning up the mess is not a job anyone should have to do.

Some fitters refuse to remove the gunk to carry out a repair, that's what I've read, but I've never used it.

I've been considering options for next year when warranty runs out.

Trying to find out about the CX-5 auto is a real pain, although I have some links now, this is the reply from Mazda UK.

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The SkyActiv Drive automatic transmission fitted in the CX-5 is manufactured by Mazda.
The model number for this is GW6A(X)-EL transmission.

Should you need any more details please feel free to contact a member of the team on 03457 4848448."

Some one on another forum told me it was a Aisin box but it isn't.

As long as it works they way you want and it is covered under warranty does it really mater too much? I never thought of which car to purchase depended on the country that the individual parts were made in.

DSG boxes don't have a great reputation with caravaners, so ideally I would want a convention auto box, the CX-5 seems to be a bit of both.
I did think it was an Aisin box like the X1 8 speed Aisin, but it isn't.

Back