How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Hi xtrailman are you hankering for the new Nissan Xtrail ???

No its now even bigger, but with a smaller boot, no power in the engines until it gets the twin turbo diesel made by Renault.

No its now even bigger, but with a smaller boot, no power in the engines until it gets the twin turbo diesel made by Renault.

I read somewhere that all the 'real' 4x4's are turning into 'softroaders' and that if you really need something rugged look at a pickup, single or twin cab. the new xtrail seems less capable off road than the old one.

i did tow

http://www.tricamcaravans.com/media/uploads/DSC00803.JPG

with this....

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...nXuB_jZpjIMPSEOi9Uv0YbIoRxXtrHBfubNQrZS2iasgQ

with a 1.2l engine 2WD & 70 bhp. Took it to a morecambe touring park (left early - phew), jodrell bank and cannock chase. Just saying that not all 4x4 owners need diff locks etc..

nissan aim to be where their competitors aren't - so the new xtrail whilst being more of a softroader than the old model will be in the x5 q7 range without the price tag?

the cx5 is likely to be the biggest SUV / 4x4 in mazdas uk range. the maz 5 will likely be killed to make way for a cx-3 (not that they are the same type of vehicle) as a small manufacturer they cant afford to produce a wide portfolio of vehicles.

Last edited:
Well I've just returned from a tour where I got around 34mpg going towing a 1565kg caravan.
Coming back it was down to around 27mpg due to a DPF burn, just shows what the car is capable of if it doesn't have a DPF, I realised a DPF burn was on when the average readout dropped to just over 20mpg at the start of the return journey.

Well I've just returned from a tour where I got around 34mpg going towing a 1565kg caravan.
Coming back it was down to around 27mpg due to a DPF burn, just shows what the car is capable of if it doesn't have a DPF, I realised a DPF burn was on when the average readout dropped to just over 20mpg at the start of the return journey.

just had a LOW score for 43.9mpg stuck on m25 in rush hour then a blast home to make up for going nowhere fast. Could of had 50+ with my normal driving style. Or 55+ but that would have send me asleep at the wheel.

The car feels like it's only doing 50 at 70 so an constant eye on the speedo is necessary.

child/baby seat

Hi everyone, please could anyone help.... I know this is covered in other parts of the website but I need some Brit suggestions. My daughter lives in London so hasn't got/need a car but she's had a baby and will be visiting us in Northumberland so Grandad(that can't be me!) needs a baby seat. If anyone has any suggestions/ explanations as I'm faced with iso fix? strap fix? and things have changed since I last needed a safe seat 30 years ago. Our granddaughter is 3 months old now and is visiting in April but I need to future proof it.
Thanks for any suggestions.

go to kiddy care ,all the advice you will need

try autoglym ,Halfords will stock it very good wax treatment I've used it for years.(cabpatch)

Last edited:
The car feels like it's only doing 50 at 70 so an constant eye on the speedo is necessary.

You can set a speed warning alarm within the systems. Just gives a bleep when you exceed the limit you set. Very useful for those moments when you might inadvertently get carried away. (Quite feasible on some stretches of the M4 :)). My wife threatens to fine me 5 each time the darn thing goes off, could have a had a meal out on the back of that a few weeks back on a 300 mile trip......and no, it's not set that low)

Personally, I have had it on a few cars including my previous MX5. Decided against it this time, going to try and stay on top of waxing instead.

I'm still undecided whether the product is worthwhile, but at the usual 300-ish it is a total rip off. My understanding is that it is applied like a wax and then polished off after allowing it to 'cure' onto the paintwork - the product itself costs a fraction of that 300 (I hear of kits regularly going for 10% of that or less) so the dealer must be taking a large wedge of profit, even after paying the labour of the bloke(s) who apply it.

Only you can decide if the benefit outweighs the cost, but remember it won't stop your car getting dirty! If I ever do opt for it again I'll not pay more than about 100-150. Like I said you should be able to find a kit yourself, so if you are up for it you could apply it yourself anyway for a few quid.

Same goes for GAP insurance, the other dealer money maker - shop around because cover is usually available for less elsewhere, e.g. ala.co.uk (I got 4 years new for old cover, gap limit 20K, for a shade over 200 quid) whereas dealer wanted I think 349 for inferior cover. This is the first time I've bothered with it, but i thought that was reasonable value even given the very low probability of a total loss event (i.e. unrecovered theft or write off).

paint treatment.
I posted earlier autoglym is the stuff to use 500mil bottle costs about 20 ish lasts forever ( but you have to do the job yourself )it seems a bloody good saving on the
pevin

D.P.F is the devils work.....I drive (happily for only 3 more weeks until my 2.0ltr cx-5 sport arrives) a Vauxhall antara 2.2 d 4x4 I have recorded as low as 14.5 mpg and up to a max of 27 mpg and this is not ..not towing.
,vauxhall have fitted 3 xgv 's with no explanation as to what is causing the problem ,other than I only do short distance miles got a complete refund and going for petrol from now on.
good luck with D.P.F Vauxhall and mazda use same systems.
previn(argh)

Been doing some reading on this rising oil level issue, as I had never heard of it, and it is a bit worrying I must admit. My initial thought is that as the CX-5 has a very low comp ratio, it may be more prone to leakage past piston rings and therefore more likely to suffer from this issue, which is caused by DPF regen cycle. I hope Mazda will put out something official to allay any concerns, as this contamination will inevitably result in accelerated engine wear. I guess that we early customers will be field testing this new engine to some extent, and the manufacturer should offer assurances regarding this.

The D.P.F filter works as follows...All the sooty deposits that are normal'y vented from the exhaust are stored in a ceramic chamber when this chamber is full the exhaust system heats the chamber up to approx. 600 deg c and atomises the particulates .If the car is driven on short jurneys the chamber can not heat up to temp and the contents are dumped into the sump ,thus resulting in oil rise, reducing the oil quality and resulting in to much oil in the sump and destroying the engine.
KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE DIPSTICK if over full drain off all the oil and refill with fresh oil & new filter,i have learned the hard way

D.P.F is the devils work.....I drive (happily for only 3 more weeks until my 2.0ltr cx-5 sport arrives) a Vauxhall antara 2.2 d 4x4 I have recorded as low as 14.5 mpg and up to a max of 27 mpg and this is not ..not towing.
,vauxhall have fitted 3 xgv 's with no explanation as to what is causing the problem ,other than I only do short distance miles got a complete refund and going for petrol from now on.
good luck with D.P.F Vauxhall and mazda use same systems.
previn(argh)

I think I heard recently that petrols are due to be getting DPF's ?

Just had 2 new tyres on the front of my CX-5 at almost exactly 25,000 miles - not bad really. I used someone called Event Tyres who come out to your home/work with a Tardis like van - pretty impressive.

Thought I would stick with TOYO's - paid 311 all in inc fitting etc.

That's a good price, there was some reports of shortages of the 19" tyres.

You can set a speed warning alarm within the systems. Just gives a bleep when you exceed the limit you set. Very useful for those moments when you might inadvertently get carried away. (Quite feasible on some stretches of the M4 :)). My wife threatens to fine me 5 each time the darn thing goes off, could have a had a meal out on the back of that a few weeks back on a 300 mile trip......and no, it's not set that low)

thanks, I did set it on when I had the car but it kept going off ;-)

I use the portable sat nav warning now, it usually gets the road limits right most of the time. I do put the cruise control on for 50 at the roadworks and restricted sections of m/way. and make minor adjustments with the + and - buttons. A speed limiter would have been nice.

I use the built in nav to do the same, and also have the car set to a limit of 85mph.
It does encourage me to lift, so it works.

I use the built in nav to do the same, and also have the car set to a limit of 85mph.
It does encourage me to lift, so it works.

Must admit I have my alarm set to 90mph which probably represents about 85mph in real life. Very easily achieved since the car seems to be right in the middle of its torque band around 75mph and picks up beautifully when I go to accelerate past another car. Despite the comparatively disappointing motorway economy I do find the car very comfortable and easy to drive over long distances.

Anybody heard anything on an extended warranty through Mazda?? I'm just over 52,500 miles and will likely hit the 60,000 by it's 2-year birthday.....

Anybody heard anything on an extended warranty through Mazda?? I'm just over 52,500 miles and will likely hit the 60,000 by it's 2-year birthday.....

When I asked my local dealer about this previously it was suggested they would quote on an ad hoc basis ie there is no fixed price extension. I got the idea that it was a third party insurance type warranty rather than manufacturer sourced so if I decide to proceed in a couple of years I will just shop around for the best deal.

When I asked my local dealer about this previously it was suggested they would quote on an ad hoc basis ie there is no fixed price extension. I got the idea that it was a third party insurance type warranty rather than manufacturer sourced so if I decide to proceed in a couple of years I will just shop around for the best deal.

Thank you Perusal. I'd not seen anything official looking so thought that might be the case, cheers!

Back