How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

I'm sure you will be very happy towing with the CX-5, where did you source the harness from right connections?

New UK member here. Just bought a 63 plate ex demonstrator with 1000 miles on the clock in Soul red, AWD Sport Nav, manual. Impressions so far; like the engine, interior, seats, colour, wheels, handling (for an SUV), boot space, looks and ground clearance. MPG is OK - averaging 40.3 MPG. Seems easier to get MPG up to 45 with slower A/B road work. When on motorway / dual carriageway, I struggle to keep it above 40. Dislikes - the pigging USB interface, Bluetooth is clumsy to say the least. Won't pickup the wife's I-phone text messages (car is her birthday present - so this didn't go down too well). Also the gear change is, to be blunt, horrible and as people have commented on this forum, worse when cold. I don't think it's acceptable for a car made in this day & age to have a poor gear change when cold. Neither of my last 5 cars (over 15 years) had difficult gear changes when cold. And did I mention the USB thing ? Starting from same track and not remembering where it left off - if I'd had known this before buying, I wouldn't have - it's that much of an issue for me.

So far the pluses do outweigh the minus points so all round enjoying this zoom zoom thing.

Am also mighty irritated that UK customers can't order the Mazda OEM bonnet protector (the black plastic one) ... am trying to work out how to get one from the US.

Anyhow, looking forward to some good times with the CX-5 and hopefully enjoyment of these forums.

The playback resume issue has been resolved on our 14 plate! I know this is no help to you now but it must mean a fix is on its way soon. I left the house this morning and got in the car, by the time the engine was at running temperature (we tend to wait for it to get warm before driving off as per our dealers advice for the first 10k miles) the bluetooth had connected to her phone and resumed playing the track she must have been playing when she was in the car the night before. In the mean time I had driven it last night with my phone connected and playing music but it picked her's upm this morning because I always switch BT off after getting out the car.

Fingers crossed you get a fix soon.

10k miles waiting for the blue light to go off, another dumb dealer. Get in a drive it like it's designed to do.

Totally agree. the best thing to do is just get in it and drive it as that is the quickest way to warm up the engine. Sitting there ticking over creating condensation in the engine and not revving high enough to blow it away is madness. I would imagine the DPF will fill up quicker as well and need more regens with lots of cold engine tickover.

That dealers advice is as useful has the engine starting up and revving its rocks off, both completely stupid ideas.

The blue light on my car goes off in under a mile, no need to either rev it up cold or idle it till it warms up, all the latter does is clog up the DPF, while all the former does is cause premature engine wear.

Really surprised by the comment about the gear change. Never had a moment's bother with mine. Car lives on the driveway and haven't really noticed much of a difference even when cold. Have always thought it to be on a par with BMW manual shifts (I had two previously) and very precise and direct. Not that different in use from the box in my MX5. Wonder if it's down to a different grade of oil being used.......

Can be the result of tyre wear in my experience - I've had this in the past (I think on a Ford Galaxy) and it was specific to certain brand of tyre (can't remember which). I wonder if the tyres have worn out of balance ? Also be good to know if they've had tyre rotation done at all.

The 13 pin wiring harness if made in Germany for Mazda and is supplied by Mazda dealer for 88. I am in the process of fitting 13 pin socket to witter bar, in between showers, and I am concerned that cable coming out of back of swinging socket is only about 1cm from silencer so may have to reposition the socket bracket? What clearance do you have between the cable and silencer?

I had mine fitted by a NTTA centre, although in the past I have fitted bars and done the wiring.
88 is a good price, usually they cost over a 100. Does the harness just supply the lighting, or both the lighting and fridge, ATC/charger supplies.

Re the cable route, mine runs into the near side were the relays are, mine isn't a VS harness just the interpose relays, and a 30amp voltage sensitive relay for the fridge supply. The route isn't ideal, but its got to go over the silencer some where, after nearly a year the cable looks ok, I'm a retired sparks and don't see it as a problem.

Hi xtrailman thanks for feedback . What I am concerned about is the proximity of the cable coming out the back of the swinging 13pin socket and the silencer. I think I will rig up an aluminium heat shield fastened to witter bar to protect back of socket. The Mazda harness provides full lighting functions and a 10 amp permanent feed to pin9 for charging battery. I will be teeing into power socket in boot using 2.5mm2 cable to red wire pin 10 for ignition controlled fridge feed. The kit also includes cut-off relays for fog light and parking sensors. Waiting for a dry spell to finish job. My diesel automatic has now done 500 miles so still some way to go before I can tow. Does your diesel make a light metallic tinkle when accelerator is pressed? More pronounced when driving at low speed with window opened.

Recommend the Witter detachable towbar which can be fitted by two people lying on their back under rear of cx5 without having to remove rear bumper and tail light. A pair of long 19mm flat ring spanners are ideal for tightening bolts. A ramp or pit need to swing torque wrench.

Hi xtrailman thanks for feedback . What I am concerned about is the proximity of the cable coming out the back of the swinging 13pin socket and the silencer. I think I will rig up an aluminium heat shield fastened to witter bar to protect back of socket. The Mazda harness provides full lighting functions and a 10 amp permanent feed to pin9 for charging battery. I will be teeing into power socket in boot using 2.5mm2 cable to red wire pin 10 for ignition controlled fridge feed. The kit also includes cut-off relays for fog light and parking sensors. Waiting for a dry spell to finish job. My diesel automatic has now done 500 miles so still some way to go before I can tow. Does your diesel make a light metallic tinkle when accelerator is pressed? More pronounced when driving at low speed with window opened.

If your caravan has ATC then you need a permanent feed fused at 20A, 3mm thin skinned cable is usually used, or larger for long runs.
I have two 3mm, one for ATC and battery charging, the other for the fridge supply. I have a bypass system which again has a 15Amp supply.

I towed at 200 miles due to the car coming early before a booked holiday.

Good point about ATC but N/A. Any metallic tinkle from engine when under acceleration ? How are your tyres wearing ?

Good point about ATC but N/A. Any metallic tinkle from engine when under acceleration ? How are your tyres wearing ?

Funny you mention the "metallic tinkle" I have that and reminds me of "pinking" if the ignition is too far advanced, or cheap fuel, but this is Diesel so shouldn't really be happening. To be honest though, not too bothered.

Tyres seem to be very good. I did swap the wheels round at 14,000 miles and am currently just over 17,000 miles. Suspect will not quite make it to 20k.

Alex

I have had something that felt like a misfire, but not for a while.
What I do tend to feel is the second turbo at around 2K revs which is max torque on the 175ps engine, but as the engine is happy running at 1500rpm,( and doesn't rev as freely to the red line as the xtrail did whose delivery was more like a petrol engine) I don't usually go much above 2K, except when towing.

Thanks alex1706. Like you I am driving a 2.2 diesel Automatic. Did you mention metallic tinkle under acceleration to your dealer? If so what did they say? I wonder if this characteristic is only on diesel automatic? Your description of "pinking" is spot on. Thanks for feedback on anticipated tyre life. I was considering injecting" Puncturesafe" into tyres at 15 per wheel but probably not cost effective for 20k tyre life. Some of our American cousins on this forum are getting 60k miles from tyres???

Hi xtrailman are you hankering for the new Nissan Xtrail ???

Funny you mention the "metallic tinkle" I have that and reminds me of "pinking" if the ignition is too far advanced, or cheap fuel, but this is Diesel so shouldn't really be happening. To be honest though, not too bothered.

Tyres seem to be very good. I did swap the wheels round at 14,000 miles and am currently just over 17,000 miles. Suspect will not quite make it to 20k.

Alex
That's interesting - ours is just over 30k and still has 3mm on the fronts, 4mm on the rears. We do a lot of motorway driving though. Are yours 17" or 19" ?

That's interesting - ours is just over 30k and still has 3mm on the fronts, 4mm on the rears. We do a lot of motorway driving though. Are yours 17" or 19" ?

My wheels are 17" but a lot of my driving is twisty country roads plus lots of hills. I don't drive my cars hard but not unusual to be looking for replacement tyres at 18k.

The "pinking noise" Haven't seen the dealer on this as not too bothered by it. Seems common so I've been told.

Alex

Back