How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Wondering if anyone else has noticed a reduction in fuel consumption since the remap at second service ?

When I first bought the car just before first service I was regularly getting up to 43 mpg around town, then I reported on here an increase in fuel consumption after the first service, down from 43 to around 41 mpg! and its more or less been at that until my last service.

Since then I've been seeing some really impressive figures typically high 40, at present I'm on 46.5 mpg!!

Yes. The difference is really noticeable, was on 42.8 now 39.1 (150bhp Diesel Auto) Never been below 40 mpg until now, just as well diesel prices have dropped.

My MPG has increased going from a 150ps to a 175ps CX5, both AWD. The only thing I noticed, and it is fairly obvious is there is a difference in the gearing. The 175ps has longer gears than the 150ps. In the 150ps I would often put it into 5th at about 35mph, that was about a comfortable lower limit for 5th, I would usually change to 6th at about 45mph easily. In the 175ps, 35mph gives lower revs in 5th and it isn't comfortable there, it needs at least 40mph, and then 6th is about 50mph. So it seems the gearing is longer, which is giving me better mpg.
Last few weeks of the 150ps gave me 40mpg with mixed driving, town and A road, some trips at full throttle here and there for fun, last few weeks with 175ps gave me 44 mpg easily, mixed driving too. I also think the regen duration is not quite as long, seems to last under 10 mins where the 150ps was longer. The high rev at start does not last as long either, maybe under 15s where the 150ps seem to go on for ever. I the shorter regen time will also be contributing to the mpg.

My 150ps had the latest update too so these difference were not expected.

Finally got round to checking the latest gear ratios.

Yes the gearing is different for the 150 and 175ps engines in manual, the final gear ratio is different.
But if you had changed from a 150 auto to a 175ps auto then the gearing is the same, but again is different to the manual cars, in both gear ratios and final gear.

Took a test drive in the high powered version of the new Tucson today.

Found the SE auto on 17" wheels drove really well, sat nav display at 8" was also excellent.
But found the dash looked very cheap for the price. The exterior was also good, but those oversized wheel arc surrounds didn't look good at all .

So decided to wait for the Bmw X1 release.
Going home I said to the wife lets just pop into the Mazda garage just to look over the updated car again.
Well I thought there was no comparison, the Mazda was a step up in quality IMO.

It was a VIP day but even so the sticker price for a auto sport 175 was only showing a risible 900 off list.
Salesman grab me and actually remembered me from 2 years ago, one thing lead to another and I let him value my car, I was very surprised to find it worth so much, CX-5 certainly holds its value.

He gave me a price to change but really at that deal I wasn't interested, same good trade in but not a lot off the new car, so he asked me what it would take to order today.
Bear in mind I've already had some recent broker quotes, so I came out to a figure seen on one of the sites, to cut it short they ended up actually making me a offer I couldn't sensibly refuse, so I've now ordered the auto 175 sport, delivery around November.

I'm sure a X1 would have been excellent, but I was a little concerned with the comments read about poor residuals, something I wasn't happy about seeing I was looking at around 35K to buy.

Last edited:
Sounds good as they seem to have the latest cx5's fairly well sorted although its a bit early to be sure. Hope you got a good price to change as yours is only 2 years old like mine.
I am sure the X1 will be a good car to drive but as usual with BMW it will cost a lot to get up to the sort of spec that the cx5 comes with. I think also that you have to make sure you get the biggest discount available as the second hand prices will certainly assume that you did. Also if you have a lot of options they wont be factored into the glass's/cap price guide and you may only get a small bit on top of trade for them and considering the cost will make the residules look bad. If BMW had a different model variant for a car that came with a lot of options as standard then the trade value of those models would be a lot more,improving the residuals.

It cost only me 8885 to change, and don't forget I had the manual car, new one is auto.

Present car was registered end of July 2013. So just over 2 years old.

2016 CX-5 Auto 175 HP Sport Diesel

... so I've now ordered the auto 175 sport, delivery around November.
Always envy you guys can get a diesel. Wonder if VW put the same trick on TDI's in Europe to pass EU emission standard...

Always envy you guys can get a diesel. Wonder if VW put the same trick on TDI's in Europe to pass EU emission standard...
xtrailman: Thats a pretty good price to change, they must have been desparate to meet some targets.

i suspect that there has always been a certain amount of figure fiddling to get to the emission standards, and i doubt it is only VW. I have always been amazed how BMW with their big powerful smooth 6 cylinder engines could have such low emission figures!!I would be surprised if it was only happening in the US. If there was widespread cheating in europe then it will become a big issue due to the large number of diesels, and how would the cars run if they had to run on strict EU6 figures? Even back when everyone was only interested in CO2, autocar used to quote the "real CO2" in their road tests and it was vastly higher than the official figure, so i suspect that manipulation of the figures has been going on for a long time.

i suspect that there has always been a certain amount of figure fiddling to get to the emission standards, and i doubt it is only VW. I have always been amazed how BMW with their big powerful smooth 6 cylinder engines could have such low emission figures!!I would be surprised if it was only happening in the US. If there was widespread cheating in europe then it will become a big issue due to the large number of diesels, and how would the cars run if they had to run on strict EU6 figures? Even back when everyone was only interested in CO2, autocar used to quote the "real CO2" in their road tests and it was vastly higher than the official figure, so i suspect that manipulation of the figures has been going on for a long time.
Funny I kinda agree with you on this. VW, "unfortunately" got caught this time. Just like EPA fuel economy numbers in the US, I suspect many auto makers are putting up some exaggerated numbers as the tests are been done by themselves using EPA guidelines. Hyundai, like VW, "unfortunately" got caught and have to face heavy fines.

xtrailman: Thats a pretty good price to change, they must have been desparate to meet some targets.

I think Mazda dealers are under pressure to meet some big targets at the moment. After being unsure whether to get another CX-5 (mine was on lease and the 3 years was up), I looked at various options including the CX-3 and the Kuga but both were too small. I asked for a quote for another 3 year lease and I was quoted more than 100/month less than I was paying 3 years ago. So I couldn't turn it down and picked up the car on Monday. It is exactly the same model but in dark crystal blue with stone leather (might regret that but it looks nice!).

I must say that my 1st impressions are good. Mine was one of the early cars into the country and suffered a few problems with rattles etc, so far so good on this one. The new satnav is taking a bit of getting used to though.

Lets hope mazda have finally sorted most of the bugs out, although I expect the new nav will still have some.
According to mazda the unit can be updated to make it future proof.

How do you find the new hand brake?
And have you thought about taking out a 3 year subscription for the live services, available via the tool box.

Re the price I also think the Yen has been devalued, that along with even more competition and new updates to present ones, mazda have now got to up their game to keep a market share.

The updated car is still winning group tests so its still one of the best.

A new Tiguan is due out soon, along with an X1, so I look forward to reading more tests, the Tucson also have more power and more torque lower down the rev range than the CX5, but its heavier and drinks fuel.

The diesel isn't with out issues so I don't think you are missing much.
Same when you didn't have the commander, I rarely use mine, although I think the 2016 car prevents operation od the touch screen over 5mph now, so the new one may get used.

Having just watched three group tests on utube from Australia, the Tucson wins every one.
I knew it was good having test driven it, well they think its better.

When I went to the Mazda dealer I told him I'd just tested the Tucson.

Maybe they know the Tucson is going to take sales so are now having to discount more aggressively??

Hello, has anyone had a routine software update performed in the last few months that seems to have made their car go a bit better...? I took ours to the local Mazda dealership because the oil pressure light came on, and they said that a recall had been issued a while ago for a new software update (was the first we heard about it). Anyway, driving the car back today, over about 50 miles, the mpg seems to be significantly better and there seems to be more performance. I had always felt that the cx5 felt a little strangled and didn't feel like a 175ps/420nm car, but now it feels like one. Or am I just imagining it...?

That last software update certainly seems to improve the car. I find that the mpg is definitely better and so do others earlier on this thread. I dont feel that it goes better as it always did go well and drive well. I also feel that it is not doing as many regens as it did before the update.

That last software update certainly seems to improve the car. I find that the mpg is definitely better and so do others earlier on this thread. I dont feel that it goes better as it always did go well and drive well. I also feel that it is not doing as many regens as it did before the update.

Well our mpg has always been a steady 40mpg, so I'll be interested to see what it returns at the pumps over the next tank. Maybe ours was a bit of a duffer, I was always underwhelmed by the performance, but now it revs much more cleanly and all the way up to the red line without hesitation.

Well our mpg has always been a steady 40mpg, so I'll be interested to see what it returns at the pumps over the next tank. Maybe ours was a bit of a duffer, I was always underwhelmed by the performance, but now it revs much more cleanly and all the way up to the red line without hesitation.

If you use your new found performance and take it to the red line then the mpg will probably be worse!!

Haha, don't worry, I only did it three or 4 times to see if I was imagining it. For the rest of the trip I was seeing how high I could get the average mpg readout. It went up to 59mpg, and then down to 55 after I had booted it a few times. It's just a shame that the car wasn't like this 2 years ago when we got it.

When I first had the update mpg and performance went up, or I felt like it had.
Its now settled to around 42mpg locally which is about what I expected before the upgrade, performance has always been good but they are plenty of faster cars out there.

For anyone interested I've been in contact with mazda re the service package on a new cx-5.
Mazda cs confirm the price at 300 which does include three services, its subsidised by Mazda, I'll be going for it.

Can anyone recommend a good GAP insurance company?

Back