How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

You are not alone, but you knew that already...

"There is another..." (and I don't mean me)

Hi prhac, you are definitely another, but there is another another :)
No idea who 'The other' is ;) let's see if they show up!

Personally, I have had it on a few cars including my previous MX5. Decided against it this time, going to try and stay on top of waxing instead.

I'm still undecided whether the product is worthwhile, but at the usual 300-ish it is a total rip off. My understanding is that it is applied like a wax and then polished off after allowing it to 'cure' onto the paintwork - the product itself costs a fraction of that 300 (I hear of kits regularly going for 10% of that or less) so the dealer must be taking a large wedge of profit, even after paying the labour of the bloke(s) who apply it.

Only you can decide if the benefit outweighs the cost, but remember it won't stop your car getting dirty! If I ever do opt for it again I'll not pay more than about 100-150. Like I said you should be able to find a kit yourself, so if you are up for it you could apply it yourself anyway for a few quid.

Same goes for GAP insurance, the other dealer money maker - shop around because cover is usually available for less elsewhere, e.g. ala.co.uk (I got 4 years new for old cover, gap limit 20K, for a shade over 200 quid) whereas dealer wanted I think 349 for inferior cover. This is the first time I've bothered with it, but i thought that was reasonable value even given the very low probability of a total loss event (i.e. unrecovered theft or write off).

Last edited:
How about an expat Brit living in Canada?
Does that count?
:D

Hi Soupafly. I'm hoping for the 1st Sep Also, Delivery in August but hanging on for the plate.

I didn't get the coating added when I bought it. I did it with two Toyotas previously, and they still had to be waxed regularly.
I waxed it not long after I bought the CX-5 and it looks great!

I've had similar on other cars but not this time. There are many self-applied products which do a good job.

Just picked up my Met Grey CX5 AWD at the weekend, I have ordered the Tow Bar for my Mountain Bikes, the LED running lights ( to make the car more visable to other motorists, as the grey is quite dark) the under garnish plates ( I had these on my Volvo XC70 and they looked good) and the floor mats - so far only the floor mats have been fitted.

I am so far very pleased with the car, although the iStop does seem to have mind of its own and I haven't quite figured out the keyless entry ( when is the boot open and the door locked?) - maybe I should read the manual?

Welcome Seagulls, good luck with the keys/locks - had mine 6 weeks and I still haven't totally figured it out!

iStop wasn't working for me initially but it does kick in regularly now that my steering has been fixed. There is a seperate thread here somewhere with iStop tips, there are LOTS of rules as to whether it 'iStops' or not. Some of the more obvious ones I found include the steering must be more or less straight ahead (there is a little allowance either way) and the brake pedal needs a proper press rather than feathering it to a stop. And be wary of resting your foot on the brake pedal after it iStops - even if you have it in neutral and park brake, as soon as the brake pedal is touched again the engine restarts.
Half the fun is learning ;)

Oh, and after my experiences my top tip is to make sure the reverse camera lines are properly aligned when the wheels are in straight ahead position - mine was WAYYYYYY off which was a clue to a steering issue which affected all sorts of things including iStop.

I don't qualify until Sept 1st I suppose. Ordered mine early June, waiting list is Mid-August, so may as well get the new 62 plate.

We do have a Mazda 2, so perhaps that allows me access.

Will report when the car arrives.

Alex

Have been told ours is due in this week. Allowing for a few days to get a personlised number transferred from our existing car, we should have it by the end of the month. The dealer has said that some orders being placed now are getting delivery estimates of December!

Have been told ours is due in this week. Allowing for a few days to get a personlised number transferred from our existing car, we should have it by the end of the month. The dealer has said that some orders being placed now are getting delivery estimates of December!

You would think we were buying a Rolls Royce?

I was on holiday on the Llangollen Canal when my dealer first had notice of availability, and I've been looking out for this since Sept 2011. As soon as I got back I placed my order, and he told me that the dealership had already exceeded the 2012/13 quota, and to date every sale was subject to a waiting list.

I must say I am encouraged as this means a little bit of exclusivity. I can't wait, and as a rule I'm not normally bothered.

One of the effects of running a business, we have 9 vehicles, 3 of which were purchased new this time last year, so I'm usually quite blas when it comes to buying vehicles. This time though the waiting time has increased the anticipation.

Alex

Back