How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

By the way i have now been banned from the mazda UK forum, with no reason given for the ban. Not that i was posting a deal only posted twice since the moderator took exception to my criticising some personal observations i made of the CX-5.

Apparantly because its a cx-5 forum only nice things about the cx-5 are allowed to be said.

That's not good news, season of goodwill and all that. Just checked your last few posts on that forum and I don't see anything problematic at all.

I wonder if i'll get an email.

At least Mazda UK are making some attempt to get customer feedback which is good, perhaps they are considering offering an enhanced satnav package at a cost extra, such as other makes do.

By the way i have now been banned from the mazda UK forum, with no reason given for the ban. Not that i was posting a deal only posted twice since the moderator took exception to my criticising some personal observations i made of the CX-5.

Apparantly because its a cx-5 forum only nice things about the cx-5 are allowed to be said.

Your'e probably not missing a lot. I gave up with them some months back, and doubt if I'll bother again. I see someone has said he took a peek on your behalf and your posts don't appear contentious, and most likely they appear quite innocent; it is all a matter of perception. So I guess nothing's changed with the draconian level of moderation then! Unless of course you did post something juicy & he pulled it.

Happy Christmas by the way.

Alex.

Yes happy Christmas.

No not posted anything that's been removed. Its got to be the worst run site in existent , so many rules, so many posts replaced into the correct "boxes", when I found the site about a year ago I wondered why it was very quiet, it didn't take long to find out why.

Have'nt been on here for a while. My CX-5 is coming up for 3 years old and it's time to be moving on. Went along to my Mazda dealer just after New Year to see what there are in the way of offers. Apparently the stock of CX-5s in the UK is limited as the factory stopped producing them a few months back and is now assembling the brand new CX-5.

So decisions, decisions!

At the moment I can either have a new "old model" pretty much straight away in the spec and colour I want. If I wait a few weeks the choice is going to become more restricted as the stock reduces.

I could wait for a new "new model" CX-5 but that's not likely to be available until May.

I'm on a PCP and currently Mazda are doing a 1500 deposit contribution. That's unlikely to be available for the "new" new model.

I've also looked at the Disco Sport and the VW Tiguan - I'm going for a test-drive in the Disco on Thursday.

Has anyone any idea of the UK specs for the brand new CX-5? I can't find anything anywhere. The Mazda dealer reckons prices may creep up a bit as it's a new model and I'm sure the Brexit effect on sterling will have an effect.

Any other suggestions on alternatives? I've discounted Qashqai, Honda CRX, Volvo V60, Toyota RAV4, Audi Q3.

I’ve been a RAV4 man for years but this CX-5 is the best car I’ve ever had. Its an awkward decision you have there. I am 12 months in to my PCP and won’t go to the new model until it has the current 1500 and 3.9% deal or better. My next car will take me to retirement so I might well cough up for it. I think nearer the changeover you will get a better deal but maybe a limited choice. I don’t think we will see the new model until September at the earliest and hopefully they will offer the 2.5 petrol version of the AWD auto. I love the pulling power of the 175 diesel but it is a pain when it regenerates every 100 miles or so. The new diesel might have the ADblue system that could make the mpg much better. I think the spec otherwise should be similar to the current models.

Bmw x3 is good to drive and so is the 182 Tucson, i've driven both in auto. Perhaps the X1 is worth a drive also.

I had a survey to fill in yeasterday from Mazda asking questions about the nav and entertainment. One question that stood out was the question "is apple play or carplay?" important to you, and would it affect your next purchase.

I answered yes and yes.

I want to use google maps for navigation on my next car, I've had more than enough of Mazda equipment especially their blue tooth.

There is also a 177ps xtrail now, but with only 280 pound feet of torque.

BMW x3 and discovery sport are really in a different class price wise to the cx5. With a reasonable lot of options they are in the 40-45k range. They are a good drive though particularly the X3 with the 3.0d IL6 engine, the 2.0d is also pretty smooth and powerfull.
I think the engines of the new cx5 are not much different to the old ones so probably more of a facelift than a new model. I would have thought we must be due for a SKYACTIV 2 by now.Also a dpf regen system that injects diesel into the exhaust manifold instead of cylinders so no chance of oil dilution would be good , although not so much of an issue nowadays as the software seems to allow for less regens and shorter regens.
Anchorman: As i understand it the ad blue system only reduces the nitrogen oxide out of the exhaust and doesn't make it any more efficient or give better MPG.

I have configured a tiguan to about 40K.

Massively overpriced to get it to sport trim. Considering i paid around 27K for my sport in 2015 nov. Should expect to pay even less at the moment.

I have configured a tiguan to about 40K.

Massively overpriced to get it to sport trim. Considering i paid around 27K for my sport in 2015 nov. Should expect to pay even less at the moment.
Have you looked at the new car broker sites to see how much you can expect to get off that. e.g coast2coast,broadspeed,drive the deal and many others. If you can get a quote from them and take it to a dealer quite often they will match it.

Yes never been a big fan of VW stuff. They price their cars as if they are more prestigious than they are. I think the price of Seat/skoda shows the price they should really be. Now after the VW emmisions cheating they should be tempting people back in but they still seem as arrogent as ever.

Thanks for all the responses. I've considered the Seat Ateca as a cut-price Tiguan alternative but they seem to have skimped on the quality of materials and features. It's been built up to a price rather than competing directly with the VW version. The X-Trail I've considered but Im not that impressed. I used to have a mark 1 X-trail and it was a very capable car for the money but this new one seems overpriced in 2.0 litre form with the same sort of toys as a Sport Nav CX5. It's a shame the Skoda Kodiak isn't out yet as its another Tiguan clone but one that seems to have the motoring press raving.

I might have a look at the Tucson.

I've looked at the Mitsubishi ASX and the Hyundai Tucson from the outside, and both look good, but I haven't sat in one.

I looked very closely at the Honda CRV which was good on size, hideous dashboard but an expensive car; also the Honda HRV and loved it, except smaller engine, and no room in the boot (my golf gear lives in the car). Same goes for the VW Tiguan, too small in the boot. Wouldn't look at the Peugeot 2008 as last time I owned a Pug it was a bloody awful experience, put me off for life! Sarkozy made mine personally.

I'm not stuck in the PCP loop so can take my time. TBH I cannot find anything to match the CX-5 and it looks like the new one might be for me. For the last 20 years I've owned diesels with automatic transmission, and the Mazda is the only one that doesn't have that flat-spot when you want to nip into traffic at a roundabout. Even VW DSG had that flat-spot; but those were the 6 speed versions.

Let us know Mountkeen what you think of the SEAT Ateca, I might pop up and pay Rex a visit in Congresbury. I like the look of it, but need to see whether better side-to-side room in the boot than the Tiguan or Yeti.

I popped into Heritage VW in Weston this afternoon to look at the Tiguan. Quite nice but by the time I'd specified it to the same level as the CX 5 Sport Nav the price was North of 32k!!! I mean seriously! As I say it was quite nice but definitely not worth that sort of money and that was only a mid spec model. Significantly smaller inside in terms of shoulder room and headroom. The dimensions suggest it has a bigger boot than the Mazda but it's not all that obvious.

So I won't be paying Holders a visit in Congressbury.

I also took a test drive in a Disco Sport. Quite impressed. A lot bigger than the CX5 but that is almost entirely down to the width. Amazed how they've managed to get a third row of seats in a car that's marginally longer than the Mazda. Price-wise it's a couple of grand more than the Tiguan but you get the impression you are getting much more car for your money rather than a Golf on steroids.

The LR 180 diesel engine has much more torque than the 175ps mazda one, unfortunately its too wide for my garage door, its a double but with two 2.1M wide doors.

Check out the CRV, i drove one back in 2013, my final list was between the CX-5 and CRV, mazda won only because it had more power and torque, i tow a caravan.
Since then the honda has been given a 9 speed auto.

Its also got a bigger boot, one of the biggest in its sector, now they have got rid of the 2.2 for a 1.6 i've lost interest, but for solo driving there is ample power.

PS the Tig i configured to near 40K was the high power auto version in awd.

Until I'm convinced that LR have got their quality issues under control I won't be risking paying the hugely over inflated prices for what I see as a liability.

The German marques are also over rated and over priced so my money will stay with the Japanese brands for the foreseeable future. Whether it's TVs, cameras or cars, they are the masters of mass production and unless let down by a dealer, they support their products properly too.

This study isn't entirely representative as it only indicates number of complaints rather than percentages but it does represent the expectations of the owners,

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-cars/2016-12/top-10-hjs-most-complained-about-cars/?image=9

The German brands do not fair well.

Last edited:
I popped into Heritage VW in Weston this afternoon to look at the Tiguan. Quite nice but by the time I'd specified it to the same level as the CX 5 Sport Nav the price was North of 32k!!! I mean seriously! As I say it was quite nice but definitely not worth that sort of money and that was only a mid spec model. Significantly smaller inside in terms of shoulder room and headroom. The dimensions suggest it has a bigger boot than the Mazda but it's not all that obvious.

So I won't be paying Holders a visit in Congressbury.

I also took a test drive in a Disco Sport. Quite impressed. A lot bigger than the CX5 but that is almost entirely down to the width. Amazed how they've managed to get a third row of seats in a car that's marginally longer than the Mazda. Price-wise it's a couple of grand more than the Tiguan but you get the impression you are getting much more car for your money rather than a Golf on steroids.

I looked at the Tiguan before I settled upon my CX5, and apart from the price gong stratospheric when I compared my wish-list I felt that a lot of things were a compromise; in particular the width (lack of) in the boot space. Additionally I was never happy with DSG I had on my last two VWs, maybe it's improved? Couldn't justify the extra cost at all.

I was hoping the SEAT may have kept some width in the boot-space, but perhaps not; and when I built my SEAT on the website I decided to stop at 36k. Mazda, you may be having me for another 5 years and by the time I replace will be the longest I've kept a car.

Back