Automatic pairing failure workaround Android 4.0.4

DJ41

:
Mazda CX-5
I have figured out a work-around for the auto pairing failure. I will give a step by step workaround how I did it. In my situation, I have a Mazda CX-5 and a Samsung Galaxy S3. But I am confident, that it will work with all Android 4.0.4 versions and other carkits, because the problem is most likely the same issue.

The reason why the phone won't auto pair, is because the phone does not give your carkit permission to download call history and other data. Even if you granted the phone this permission with the initial pairing.

If you have a carkit that supports multiple bluetooth profiles (multiple phones), like my Mazda CX-5 does, then you can also have your phonebook downloaded to your car. If your carkit supports multiple profiles, start with step 1. If yours doesn't, start with step 7. This guide is specifically for the Mazda CX-5, so some steps may be (slightly) different for your car model or make.

Here is the step by step guide:

1. Make sure you have no existing bluetooth pairs. Clear all pairs in your carkit and your phone.

2. Pair the phone with your carkit. You can see the randomly generated code on your phone and on the car display. Press ok to pair. (other carkits may need you to input "0000" or "1234", or maybe you have to input a code yourself)

3. Your phone will ask 2 questions about permissions. Check the box and allow. The phone will start to sync.

4. You carkit is done with syncing and it will ask you if you want to download your phonebook. Do this.

5. When its done copying, clear the Bluetooth pair on your phone (not on the Carkit!)

6. Give your phone a different Bluetooth name

7. In your carkit choose to pair a new phone (with the new name you just entered).

8. When the phone asks for permission for the carkit, check the box and choose cancel. Do this for both questions.

You don't have to copy your phonebook again (you can't anyway because you denied permission), but the phonebook that was downloaded earlier will still be available. Now the phone will pair automatically! With this trick you have your phonebook and automatic pairing.

I haven't seen what this does for media-audio streaming. I don't use that, but I can image that it doesn't work, because of the denied permissions.

There is another downside to this though (there always is, isn't it?). You cannot update your phonebook easily. If you want to update your phonebook, repeat the whole procedure.

I hope this will work for other people with different phones and cars too. At least this is a workaround until Google/Samsung comes with a fix. Please let us know if this works in your situation. To keep things structured, please use this format:

Car: Mazda CX-5
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3
Works: Yes

Last edited:
Good god, I'm glad I got rid of my android. LOL

I have the same Android OS but have not had this
problem. Maybe it is a combination of phone maker and OS rather than OS
only? I have a Motorola Droid Razr.

I wonder if maybe a certain app running will cause BT connections/issues. There's so many things running
in the background. Everyone's phones differ due to
customization with apps. Apps are the one thing that make two exact phone models
different in the hands of different owners.

Seems it's not only Android users; iPhone users have their own issues with the CX 5 BT interface as
well. Looking through all the threads here, I can't nail down a single culprit as being the main type of phone to avoid.

Seems it's not only Android users; iPhone users have their own issues with the CX 5 BT interface as
well. Looking through all the threads here, I can't nail down a single culprit as being the main type of phone to avoid.

Thats strange, both mine and my wife's work perfect with it.

I'm not surprised.. most all work fine. But if you read through all
the posts in this sub-forum you'll read problems of all sort
with just about all the major types- some minor, some not.

The OP gave a long detailed way to fix a problem with the
latest Android OS.. I have the same OS but have absolutely
no problems. My wife has a older Android OS on a different
Phone than me and she has no problems either.

So I'm like you I suppose, when I saw the original post my thoughts
were similar to yours. That's why I wonder if some of
these problems may be from apps running in the background
causing these weird issues. Not everyone has the same apps once we begin
personalizing our phones. I've downloaded apps
before that caused problems with my
phones- both iphones and droids. Once
I removed the app, the phones were fixed. Maybe this is
causing issues with BT in some cases.

One more thing I can think about is the data that is being downloaded when the connection tries to pair. You can sync contacts from all sorts of programs, like Google+, whatsapp, facebook etc. Maybe the radio drops the connection because of incompatibility of data. Just a wild guess...

Good god, I'm glad I got rid of my android. LOL

That what I thought a number of times reading different threads on here about Android issues. But I guess it's not as big of a deal for them as it seems to me because they are used to these work arounds and taking extreme measures to get things to work. I'm definitely a much bigger fan of just having things work out of the box =D

I have yet to have a single problem yet with my BT using an iPhone.

Yes, that's the main reason I bought the phone. To spend all my free time finding out workarounds for things to work. (braindead

This is the only issue I have had so far with the galaxy S3.

I'm having a slightly different issue with my phone.

I have the Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon and I am using the latest 4.0.4 OS. This issue however was happening with the previous OS which was Gingerbread.

Basically what happens is that when I have WiFi and BT on at the same time and I am on the phone via the car's BT it keeps switching from the car to the handset and back to the car randomly. The only way to stop it is to turn of WiFi.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

PS. I had the Droid Bionic on Verizon with Gingerbread and had the same thing happen. Prior to that I had the Incredible 2 on VZ but that worked flawlessly, except it didn't show the ID3 tags when playing music.

*****EDIT: Found a thread here Bluetooth-disconnects-and-reconnects-during-phone-calls that covers this issue. Seems like what I do to fix it has already been discovered.

Last edited:
Back