Skyactiv, DI, & Carbon Buildup...

Jamis

:
2003 Protege5, silver
I am strongly considering purchasing a '13 3i Grand Touring Mazda. I have a question regarding carbon buildup in the Skyactiv engine. I know it's new and no one probably has any extended miles on one. I've read a fair amount about the issues that BMW, Lexus, VW, and Audi have had with this issue in their DI motors, so I am a bit concerned about the Skyactiv engine. I plan on keeping the car for at least 10 years, so spending $25K for the car is a big check for me. I'd like to think this Mazda will be as reliable and trouble free as the P5 in my garage now.

Does anyone have any related knowledge on this motor?

What is Mazda saying about the subject?

Does the Skyactiv motor recycle crankcase fumes to the intake manifold like the other DI motors?

FTW, I wrote to Mazda to see what they say about this subject. May be awhile, I asked some technical questions that I doubt a sales type could answer.

Well, I heard back from Mazda on this carbon build up issue and it appears that it is a non-issue to them. It looks like the 2.0G motor doesn't require the same long term service that the 2.5L motor does. Even the valve lash doesn't need adjusting at 75K miles due to the roller cam linkage in the Skyactive engine. No one can tell me about crankcase ventilation, so I'm still looking for an answer to that question.

Very interesting stuff. Please keep us updated with any new info. I'm interested to know the answer. Did you get a response from Mazda engineering?

Very interesting stuff. Please keep us updated with any new info. I'm interested to know the answer. Did you get a response from Mazda engineering?

Nothing from Mazda Engineering, just marketing. They tried to reference the Mazda web pages for the technical answers, but that doesn't address my questions. I'll keep digging. My short list is a '13 Cruze 2LT RS and a '13 Mazda3i GT. Quite honestly, the Chevy does not inspire confidence from what I've been reading for the last 18 months. Right now, the 3i is a better buy for long term ownership.

Mazda has solved this issue by using heat from the exhaust to keep the temperature up on the intake valves so they don't build carbon. I can't remember where I read it or saw it but I'll post it when I find it

Mazda has solved this issue by using heat from the exhaust to keep the temperature up on the intake valves so they don't build carbon. I can't remember where I read it or saw it but I'll post it when I find it

I've been trying to research this issue considerably since I have recently purchased a '12 Mazda3 skyactiv (6MT). I found this article which states that Mazda was aware of the carbon buildup problems of previous (and current) GDI engines and found that in keeping the intake valves temperatures above 400 degrees, it would help avoid these deposit formations:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_arti...l-introducing-mazdas-skyactiv-technology.aspx

The big question is how reliable are these new engines? All of my previous Mazdas were very reliable I hope skyactiv will be the same...

Almost 10,000 miles on mine with a Corksport exhaust and no problems. I used Mobil 1 0w-20 and Mobil filter at 5,000 miles and will be switching to Amsoil 0w-20 and Mazda filters at the 10,000 mile mark and will run 10,000 mile intervals.

Hey your name doesn't happen to be Donald does it?

Almost 10,000 miles on mine with a Corksport exhaust and no problems. I used Mobil 1 0w-20 and Mobil filter at 5,000 miles and will be switching to Amsoil 0w-20 and Mazda filters at the 10,000 mile mark and will run 10,000 mile intervals.

from what I understand on posts elsewhere, they don't have an actual EGR system in the traditional sense where exhaust gas is physically rerouted to the intake, which caused the majority of carbon buildup issues on the intake valves in the MZR DISI (mazdaspeed3/6 motor)

Latest posts

Back