Engine Oil Rise

The oil level in my cx5 diesel appears to have reached the x mark on the dip stick after 2700 km. However on a close inspection of the oil on the dip stick it appears that the oil had a difference appearance on the dip stick between the full mark and the x mark when dipped hot after 10 minutes cool down from turning off the car. Small scallops appear in the oil on the edge of the stick above the full mark. Also the color of the oil was much darker in color up to the full mark than it was above the full mark. When I re dipped the stick the following morning after the car had been standing all night and was cold the oil level was about 4 mil above the full mark which was about where it was after the last oil change. I took the car to my madza dealer and pointed out and discussed this information with their technician who confirmed my findings. This was then discussed with the madza office manager who advised he would pass the info on to madza Australia. They said that for now it was policy for madza to change my oil if it appeared the the oil had reached the x mark on no cost to me.
It is possible there may be no real issue with these cars apart from oil being splashed up the dip stick tube when the engine is hot and is giving a false reading of over full to the x mark.

CX5AB - Welcome to mazdas247.com, and thanks for the report on your CX5 diesel.

Most likely the dipstick measurement issue has exaggerated the oil-rising problem but it's probably not entire reason for issue. Other clean diesel automakers besides Mazda are dealing with oil-rising problem too.

What do you think?. Updated or patched. One of both. They said...Reprogramation de PCR??

Either way, some kind of reprogramming was likely done.

Is it working so far?

The oil level in my cx5 diesel appears to have reached the x mark on the dip stick after 2700 km. However on a close inspection of the oil on the dip stick it appears that the oil had a difference appearance on the dip stick between the full mark and the x mark when dipped hot after 10 minutes cool down from turning off the car. Small scallops appear in the oil on the edge of the stick above the full mark. Also the color of the oil was much darker in color up to the full mark than it was above the full mark. When I re dipped the stick the following morning after the car had been standing all night and was cold the oil level was about 4 mil above the full mark which was about where it was after the last oil change. I took the car to my madza dealer and pointed out and discussed this information with their technician who confirmed my findings. This was then discussed with the madza office manager who advised he would pass the info on to madza Australia. They said that for now it was policy for madza to change my oil if it appeared the the oil had reached the x mark on no cost to me.
It is possible there may be no real issue with these cars apart from oil being splashed up the dip stick tube when the engine is hot and is giving a false reading of over full to the x mark.

Hi CX5AB. You may find post of mine above about this subjet.

Just today I performed an oil control. My car has now 320 Kms after the oil change was made on 15/10/12. (8.215 total).
It is a litle soon but I have started an spreadsheet for keep the records.

Yesterday I checked the oil with the engine hot. Waited 20 min, check. Waited 10 more min, check. (Mazda says now that the 5 min time in the manual isn't correct, they recomend 30 min.). Well, the oil was at the full mark, Ok, same as it was on 15th. out of garage.

Today I checked again, cold. Car has not move from yesterday. The oil was EXACTLY at the same level than yesterday.
Checked four times. No way. Always the same.

What is all this crap of warm-wait-look?.

I concur with you that in one side of the stick, the side with de X, sometimes random traces are founds but on the side without the X (why not two Xs?) the reading was clean and clear. Just on the max hole mark. As the previous day, engine hot.(boom02)

One regen was detected in the period. No city run.

Regards.
Becoming an expert in CX-5 oil checks

CX5AB - Welcome to mazdas247.com, and thanks for the report on your CX5 diesel.

Most likely the dipstick measurement issue has exaggerated the oil-rising problem but it's probably not entire reason for issue. Other clean diesel automakers besides Mazda are dealing with oil-rising problem too.

I agree with you that the dip stick issue is not the entire reason. When I spoke with the technician he said the oil will rise a little over time between full service intervals as that is the nature of dpf diesels but is should not rise to the max in 1 or 2 thousand km and I am not totally sure it is doing that. Until the dip stick issue is sorted out it is hard to know exactly what is happening.

Is anyone only using ultra low sulphur diesel like bp premium grade with less than 10 ppm sulfur and still experiencing the oil rise problem? Thanks

Is anyone only using ultra low sulphur diesel like bp premium grade with less than 10 ppm sulfur and still experiencing the oil rise problem? Thanks

Have only been using bp premium grande ultra low sulphur since I got the car and oil levels appear to rise

Have only been using bp premium grande ultra low sulphur since I got the car and oil levels appear to rise

Thanks CX5AB I'm just wondering how much the fuel quality is affecting how fast some peoples oil levels are rising. Yours seemed to rise to the x in a couple thousand k's but on closer inspection it may have been oil left in the dipstick tube causing a false readind. Other people are reaching and excedding the x in under 2000km and i've read someone said 700km and it dosn't seem to make a difference if its city miles or highway miles. The one thing most of them don't say is the grade of fuel they use and thats one of the reasons the diesel hasn't been sold in the US yet because their high sulfur content in the diesel. Be good to here other peoples thoughts.

Thanks CX5AB I'm just wondering how much the fuel quality is affecting how fast some peoples oil levels are rising. Yours seemed to rise to the x in a couple thousand k's but on closer inspection it may have been oil left in the dipstick tube causing a false readind. Other people are reaching and excedding the x in under 2000km and i've read someone said 700km and it dosn't seem to make a difference if its city miles or highway miles. The one thing most of them don't say is the grade of fuel they use and thats one of the reasons the diesel hasn't been sold in the US yet because their high sulfur content in the diesel. Be good to here other peoples thoughts.

Hi BrianK, I think the rising oil would be worse if one didn't use ultra low sulphur diesel fuel. I also think there may be two fixes required by madza to solve this issue - one being a newly designed dip stick and the other is a re-program of the engine computer management system to better handle city type driving. It appears to me that the oil level rises about 1 mil after every regen cycle which would mean the more regen cycles the car does the faster the oil rises.

Mine appears to be doing a regen about every 400km with mainly city and suburban type driving and the odd long lun on the weekend. These are measurement I have taken of the oil level when the engine is cold from standing over night. Given that I have measured about 16 mil between the full and the x mark at best I would probably get about 5 - 6 thousand km before a oil change - I long way short of 10,000 km

I think you should put less oil in it to begin with. Now I could totally be a mazda engineer!

You might be elevated to head engineer with problem solving skills like you have demonstrated. (2thumbs)

Here it seems there is a problem with the injectors. Some batch may be not working properly.
Just a little brainstorming from my observations all around the Globe with this issue:

- It is happening all around the world, no matter the type of fuel or climate
- It is happening to manual or authomatic drives.
- After many reports in a number of forums and many owners, is nothing to do with driving style, also as an supposed mazda official:
http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/cx-discu...l-rising-issue-have-you-had-2.html#post120415
- The fuel comsuption is always higher than in cars without the problem.
- It is happening mostly in the first thousands of vehicles which are now nearig the 10.000 Kms.

The injection reprogrammation and the change of dipstick are only timebuying measures, non curative. Maybe a huge recall of ten of thousand of cars to change injectors are simply not affordable by Mazda or they are out of stock.

Just a thought

Last edited:
(I assume you meant to type injectors)
I saw owners report of the problem on a June built vehicle, so I believe it is still an issue.
If it is truly the injectors, it might be easier to fix than other possible issues. Not sure why Mazda is so slooooooow to address this, since they know about it from around April, at the very least.

20,000 km is about 12,400 miles, which seems like a long interval between oil changes. My guess (just a guess) is that when the Skyactiv-D comes to the U.S. (whether in the 6 or CX-5) Mazda USA will specify an oil-change interval of 5000-6000 miles, potentially replacing the oil before the levels get too high. I typically change my oil every 5k anyway, so this doesn't seem like it would be a huge inconvenience. Thoughts?

My thoughts on oil change interval for Skyactiv-D in US, it will be same as gasser at 7.5K miles, requiring specific synthetic oil too.

Anything shorter than that is unnecessary and not competititive in 2012 with todays best snythetics as factory fill.

Why is the UK different, we have 12.5K miles or yearly for some makes which ever comes first, or even 20K mile intervals.

Is it due to the climate?

^ Yes, it's been brought up before. In the US some old school people are still clinging to 3000 mile oil change intervals, it makes them feel better.

My thoughts on oil change interval for Skyactiv-D in US, it will be same as gasser at 7.5K miles, requiring specific synthetic oil too.

Anything shorter than that is unnecessary and not competitive in 2012 with todays best synthetics as factory fill.

Probably right. That's still significantly shorter than 12.5k mi, so maybe that's why Mazda isn't overly concerned about the Skyactiv-D in the U.S., at least not publicly. I heard there will be an announcement at the L.A. show later this month.

Rising oil issue cause some owners to change oil every 2000 Km ~ 3000 Km.
It's a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen. Seems to me the only good outcome that could happen is for Mazda to quietly fix the issue, without telling anyone and for US customers to get it. However, I believe it is too risky proposition and 2.5L is much safer alternative.

Is the climate so different in USA than in Europe?...I don't think so. Europe has Finland, Germany, UK, France....Italy, Spain, Greece...And in any of these countries you have a huge variety of climate...
No, it has to be another reason. BTW, the standard oil change interval in Europe for European marks are 30.000 Kms.

Back