Engine Oil Rise

Are oil level checkers so foolish that they do not know how to pull a dipstick near a firewall? .. Ed

You might like to read the newspaper article again before speculating that some oil level checkers are foolish. It doesn't mention the firewall at all.
The newspaper article is referring to the dipstick being near the wall of the sump once it's inserted into the dipstick slot.
Being near the sump wall, it picks up oil off the sump wall making it difficult to pick the level once it's withdrawn.

Last edited:
I read it again, plenty vague and not conclusive and at this point probably intentional.

I read it again, plenty vague and not conclusive and at this point probably intentional.

I am the owner of one of the vehicles concerned and have been discussing this issue (and the oil rise problem) with Mazda for some time.
The dipstick is nowhere near the car firewall. The article refers only to the dipstick resting near the "engine wall" inside the motor itself.

I am the owner of one of the vehicles concerned and have been discussing this issue (and the oil rise problem) with Mazda for some time.
The dipstick is nowhere near the car firewall. The article refers only to the dipstick resting near the "engine wall" inside the motor itself.

Yes words used were "engine wall", no mention of firewall. And no conclusion reached.

I canceled my order of black diesel, because of OIL RISING problems. I was so sad...
I just ordered BMW X3, black too. I got 4 years of gratis service!

I know the CX-5 owners in Australia are not likely to be making this oil rise issue up or panicking for no good reason. The thing that puzzles me is that on the face of it this issue seems to be an Australian one....or is it?
Although the CX-5 was launched in the UK well after practically everyone else, there are by now quite a few on the road. The first CX-5's were on the road in the UK last spring so must have built up a fair mileage by now. Also the diesels easily outnumber the petrol version here in the UK as in the rest of Europe. So surely by now this issue should have reared its ugly head. So, are there any UK or European owners out who have experienced oil rise issues? If it should transpire that this issue is confined to Australia it would be quite bizarre. Is there any difference in the oil and/or fuel used in Australia, however subtle? Could it be climate related? I did notice that many of the owners having problems were centred in the much hotter and humid parts of Australia. Whatever is behind this issue it must be nailed, and soon! Most of us have all paid a lot of hard earned money for this motor which I still think overall is a cracker. Mazda needs to move smartly and soon as I understand that this "Skyactive" motor will be used in the new "6" model which is aimed at the fleet market, who won't be impressed so far.

I think that I could go along with the sump wall proximity suggestion. I tried checking the oil level for the first time this morning (Car's done 200 miles) and found it a very hit and miss procedure. The motor was warm but had been left for ten minutes. I took eight dips and I can honestly say that they appeared different. Only one dip looked as though it was between the two small holes. The other dips appeared very vague. On one of the flat sides of the stick the oil was smeared right up to the X mark but not on the opposite flat side. I can't really see that diesel getting into the sump could be the cause as this would have shown up after the first couple of lab tests, or aren't tests being carried out? If they're not it would be totally unprofessional.

DPF-related problems (diesels) are not unique to Mazda and tend to show up more with drivers using vehicles primarily at slow speeds and for very short trips. The technical challenges/complexity and costs (including maintenance costs) associated with clean diesels will only increase as Euro 6 regs are phased-in (some countries sooner, some countries like Australia later).

Note: Mazda 2.2-liter diesel meets Euro 6 and U.S. Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards without using any NOx aftertreatment such as urea injection.

Last edited:
I think that I could go along with the sump wall proximity suggestion. .

You can get an accurate reading of the dipstick by turning it 90 degress (with the "X" mark facing the front of the vehicle). Mazda Australia has advised that you should wait 10 minutes after using the vehicle before doing this test.
Using this method, I can now get a clean oil level line on the front of the dipstick (the side with the markings - don't use the opposite side).

The difficulty in reading the dipstick certainly complicates the oil rising problem but it is not the cause of it.
I can now accurately measure the oil but the oil continues to rise.
Mazda Australia acknowledges that there is a problem with oil rising but they still have no fix for it.

I know the CX-5 owners in Australia are not likely to be making this oil rise issue up or panicking for no good reason. The thing that puzzles me is that on the face of it this issue seems to be an Australian one....or is it?
Although the CX-5 was launched in the UK well after practically everyone else, there are by now quite a few on the road. The first CX-5's were on the road in the UK last spring so must have built up a fair mileage by now. Also the diesels easily outnumber the petrol version here in the UK as in the rest of Europe. So surely by now this issue should have reared its ugly head. So, are there any UK or European owners out who have experienced oil rise issues? If it should transpire that this issue is confined to Australia it would be quite bizarre. Is there any difference in the oil and/or fuel used in Australia, however subtle? Could it be climate related? I did notice that many of the owners having problems were centred in the much hotter and humid parts of Australia. Whatever is behind this issue it must be nailed, and soon! Most of us have all paid a lot of hard earned money for this motor which I still think overall is a cracker. Mazda needs to move smartly and soon as I understand that this "Skyactive" motor will be used in the new "6" model which is aimed at the fleet market, who won't be impressed so far.

It seems there are many discussions in German about this same condition (read that in English on the Australian site). Mazda is downplaying the situation there too, with no solution in sight.
The dipstick change cannot possibly fix the problem, only make it easier to correctly read the oil level.
For me, it's a definite deal breaker, until Mazda shows ownership of the problem and issues a fix.

Google translate link
http://translate.google.com/transla...d-cx-9/50276-probleme-beim-cx5-loesungen.html

Last edited:
Hi.

I'm an european owner of an CX-5 Skyactiv-D 2.2 150hp and I have been hit by the oil rise problem.
My oil was changed last week.

At 7.000 kms. I checked the oil and it was very close to the X mark. Went to the dealer and was told that was normal, keep going.

Two weeks later and with some 7.800 kms. the oil reached the X. Back to the dealer, two people did four readings, engine hot, ten to fifteen minutes rest. The X was always wet.

They had no idea about the problem. Called to Mazda and was ordered to keep the car. It was acepted only one week later, no slot. I had the car for one week still in the garage. Then the car passed one week at the dealer, they follow Mazda instructions: Took samples of oil and diesel, dump de computer register, sent the data to Mazda. After one week they returned me the car. Oil was changed and injection software updated or patched, dunno.

They told me that the dipstick will be changed, they learned this from Mazda. Aparently the X mark willl be raised some milimeters.
Climate here have nothing to do with australian weather, I think.

I wrote 3 weeks ago a letter to Mazda, before going to the dealer. To date, no response.
The car has 3 and a half months and 8.000 kms now
I live in France and I know 3 or 4 more cases of oil changed by this issue to friends of mine in Spain. Other forums are talking about this, in France and Spain.

The bug is spreading from Australia. Have some of you, aussi guys, been here lately?.

Regards.

Hi.

I'm an european owner of an CX-5 Skyactiv-D 2.2 150hp and I have been hit by the oil rise problem.

At 7.000 kms. I checked the oil and it was very close to the X mark. Went to the dealer and was told that was normal, keep going.

Two weeks later and with some 7.800 kms. the oil reached the X. Back to the dealer, two people did four readings, engine hot, ten to fifteen minutes rest. The X was always wet.

They had no idea about the problem. Called to Mazda and was ordered to keep the car. It was acepted only one week later, no slot. I had the car for one week still in the garage. Then the car passed one week at the dealer, they follow Mazda instructions: Took samples of oil and diesel, dump de computer register, sent the data to Mazda. After one week they returned me the car. Oil was changed and injection software updated or patched, dunno.

They told me that the dipstick will be changed, they learned this from Mazda. Aparently the X mark willl be raised some milimeters.
Climate here have nothing to do with australian weather, I think.

I wrote 3 weeks ago a letter to Mazda, before going to the dealer. To date, no response.
The car has 3 and a half months and 8.000 kms now
I live in France and I know 3 or 4 more cases of oil changed by this issue to friends of mine in Spain. Other forums are talking about this, in France and Spain.

The bug is spreading from Australia. Have some of you, aussi guys, been here lately?.

Regards.

Watching this thread for any news developments with great interest. I'm quite familiar with gasoline engines, not so much with diesels.

Ever run a car that's dropped a cylinder? As in the spark won't fire? The gasoline injected into that cylinder, unburnt, always has a portion of it that eventually makes it way past the piston and into the oil. You get gasoline in your oil, and also create combustion wall damage from the gasoline washing down it's sides.

Then I read about the diesel skyactiv. Waitaminute, so they're injecting a bit of gasoline into the combustion chamber after the 'bang' to help cool the combustion chamber? Sooo it's supposed to slosh around till TDC again? Sounded familiar to me, it's bad news to have any fuel put into the combustion chamber without it supposed to be going 'boom'.

Anyways, still reading up on this but to me, I think there's a fundamental flaw in the design. Hope it doesn't work out that way or a solution is found.

Can some people shine some light on how many out there don't have this problem as I am signed up for new cx5 gt diesel in December but just won't to know the odds off having oil probs thanks really won't this diesel but not up for headaches
Thanks Greg west aus

Oil issue

Can some people shine some light on how many out there don't have this problem as I am signed up for new cx5 gt diesel in December but just won't to know the odds off having oil probs thanks really won't this diesel but not up for headaches
Thanks Greg west aus

Hi

I'm a norwegian owner of a CX-5 Skyactiv-D 2.2 150hp automatic and I also have the oil rise problem.
I did not check the oil level until 8000kms and found the level to be a centimeter above the X. The dealer said the oil needed to be changed, and booked a time this week. I had the car in yesterday to change the oil.

The dealer had no knowledge of this being something exceptional, they had heard nothing from Mazda about this. Mazda Motor Norway is not covering extra oil changes between service intervals (20000kms/12 months in Norway) and says this is normal for cars with diesel particulate filter and due to driving short trips, while I suspect this is more than normal oil rise. We will drive around 25000kms a year, and if the oil is near the X approx. every 5000kms this problem will turn out to be quite expensive (135,- euros each time, at 3-4 times extra each year).
I will certainly discuss the bill with my dealer, and ask the dealer for information around software update etc. If someone in this forum can provide links to official Mazda statements in Australia or other countries, I would be happy for that.

Regards.

Thanks Greg west aus

I believe only Mazda knows the real scope of this problem, and they are not sharing.
It's true not all CX-5s with 2.2D have this problem, but it is certainly not as 'few' as Mazda wants you to believe. This does not only happen to owners making mostly short trips. It happens also to owners making long daily trips.
There are much speculations about what the fix could be, it might be a simple ECU software change or not. It's possible Mazda will quietly make changes only to future models, with the hope to avoid costly repairs to many vehicles it already sold.
When the 2.2D will be available here in the US (they promised early next year, but who knows), I intend to stay away as long as Mazda does not take ownership. If, some years from now, this all dies down, I will reconsider. Make your own decision, keeping in mind you might need to make many oil changes and/or get engine damage from increased friction stemming from insufficient lubrication, caused by oil dilution.

thanks i have just sent my dealear email regards to unseculed services and at whos cost ill wait for there reply !!

Hi.

I have already measured the markers on the dipstick in case Mazda ever tried this stunt. Raising the "x" mark might delay the need for an oil change but it won't be acceptable as a fix for the problem.
A higher "x" would mean even more fuel dilution in the oil.

Last edited:
Hi.

After one week they returned me the car. Oil was changed and injection software updated or patched, dunno.

Was it or not? Because if so it might be a big part of the solution with better control of DPF regen cycle. And if so, is it working?

What do you think?. Updated or patched. One of both. They said...Reprogramation de PCR??

Back