possible major change in tomtom software

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring w/bose-tech
there was an update to my tomtom software the other day, it was only a sub-number change (went from like 10.814 to 10.815)

but it would appear they altered the initial voice control response

in the past if you did not say a specific function (only a name) or said drive to _____ it would automatically give you directions to wherever it thought you wanted to go (one of my biggest gripes about this tomtom)
well yesterday morning after updating the night before, i said 'drive to airport' since i know the one i wanted to go to was the closest one, it should have worked 'like normal'

lo and behold the device goes

"please say the line number of your destination"

it was 4am so i wasn't fully with it and just thought i did something wrong.
i'm out of town and i'll be back tomorrow night and i'll try it again, unless anyone else can update to the new software version and see if their results are the same by saying 'drive to _____(some poi name/type)' and see how the software behaves

now if we can just get keyword searching for pois and subcategories for them also (restaurant types, etc rather than listing of everything) it would be a lot better than originally designed

Have not even done my initial update, maybe I should right now.

Is it normal for update version 10.815 to keep showing up as "This item needs to be downloaded" even after I did download it and install it? (uhm)

Edit: I am currently updating my USA&Canada Maps using "Latest Map Guarantee" I guess this is that one free map update? huge file says about 45 minutes left for download, I started 5 minutes ago.

Last edited:
there was an update to my tomtom software the other day, it was only a sub-number change (went from like 10.814 to 10.815)
but it would appear they altered the initial voice control response

lo and behold the device goes

"please say the line number of your destination"

Yes! I just did the update and tested it on a few places and received a query first if what I said was correct, then a line item list to choose from!

Also, for those still showing it needs the update, I've found that if I quit TomTom Home and reinsert the SD Card it works better (I now just do that every time before updating).

Thanks for the info Macsma! I will try that once this huge download is complete 25 minutes to go now...

Edit: the download stalled big time around the 15 minute mark, wow this is painful. Should have done this when I went to sleep.

Last edited:
stromdriver I can confirm that it indeed gives you choices to choose from even though it struggles with what I'm saying. I said "Drive to an address" it brought up choices for "Legal Counsel" I never use voice control for anything so I'll be fine but those who use voice control good luck to ya (rei)

yeah i tested it again tonight, it does ask you for confirmation and supply a list now which is nice, but it still has lots of trouble understanding what you're saying

and you still can't ask for keywords, you have to ask for poi's EXACT name as it is in their database or for a major poi category (gas, airport, etc, not 'chinese' or 'pizza')

Back