Issues with Closing Liftgate

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Maybe the reason the liftgate is a bit tough to close is that I live in the middle of the hot desert. The gas in those liftgate shocks must be under more pressure. I'll report if things changes in say October where it gets in the 70s-80s around here vs 100+.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Maybe the reason the liftgate is a bit tough to close is that I live in the middle of the hot desert. The gas in those liftgate shocks must be under more pressure. I'll report if things changes in say October where it gets in the 70s-80s around here vs 100+.

Temperature here is about 10 deg C in the evening = 50 F and I have the same 'problem'.

Ive had mine for about 5 months now and today at the store it took me 3 times to get it closed all the way. Temp was cool at about 65F. My drivers door was open for the last 2 tries because i had to hop out after seeing the door open light on.

I had the same problem until I started closing it more slowly and putting a little pressure on it as it closes. Now it latches 100% every time. I think there is something in the owners manual about this.

Pg 3-18 in the manual:
-To close, lower the liftgate slowly using the liftgate grip recess, and then push the liftgate closed using both hands.
Do not slam it. Pull up on the liftgate to make sure it is secure.

I have noticed improvement with mine regarding this issue, as in, perhaps after a "break in" it eventually requires less effort to close the gate fully.

When it was new, I had to pop it back open and slam it almost every time. Now, I can get it closed first attempt, and I really don't feel like I'm putting forth more effort to do so.

Just a thought. But, I do agree that it is/was an annoying occurence.

Same with me, I also was having difficulty at first to get the hatch to latch without slamming it. Now, I'm having no issues closing it...and the good thing is I'm not slamming it anymore :)

Pg 3-18 in the manual:
-To close, lower the liftgate slowly using the liftgate grip recess, and then push the liftgate closed using both hands.
Do not slam it. Pull up on the liftgate to make sure it is secure.

Ok, Will try the push method as indicated in manual next time. I've been slamming in all this time. I'd guess at the same force as spinning the wheel (on the Price is Right) at least 3 rotations LOL.

bump
found this thread via search.

My 2015 AWD Touring with tech and bose/moonroof started having the issue with the liftgate not latching. It would close to a point where pulling it won't open it, but it clearly does not latch to the strike plate. Because it wouldn't latch, the interior trunk light would stay lit, the dashboard would indicate the gate was open, auto-lock when walking away wouldn't work, and the OEM remote-start wouldn't work.

I dropped off the car at the dealer before heading to work. They call me back later saying ice/snow was preventing the liftgate from closing completely. Made sense, and made me feel dumb, but I wasn't convinced. When I go pick-up the car (and ironically overhear another customer dropping off her mazda3 with a similar latching issue), I find that my liftgate still does not latch. I demonstrate it to them and they say to wait 10 minutes as they have another look. They "made an adjustment to the strike plate" and it seems to have fixed the issue. They are ordering another strike-plate in case my issue comes up again.

bump
found this thread via search.

My 2015 AWD Touring with tech and bose/moonroof started having the issue with the liftgate not latching. It would close to a point where pulling it won't open it, but it clearly does not latch to the strike plate. Because it wouldn't latch, the interior trunk light would stay lit, the dashboard would indicate the gate was open, auto-lock when walking away wouldn't work, and the OEM remote-start wouldn't work.

I dropped off the car at the dealer before heading to work. They call me back later saying ice/snow was preventing the liftgate from closing completely. Made sense, and made me feel dumb, but I wasn't convinced. When I go pick-up the car (and ironically overhear another customer dropping off her mazda3 with a similar latching issue), I find that my liftgate still does not latch. I demonstrate it to them and they say to wait 10 minutes as they have another look. They "made an adjustment to the strike plate" and it seems to have fixed the issue. They are ordering another strike-plate in case my issue comes up again.

I've seen a TSB about this and I think it involved adjusting that, and possibly the rubber bumpers on the gate. They might be sticking out too far and preventing a good latch.

I am having the same liftgate issue with my 2015 CX-5. It seems to occur mostly when the thermometer drops below -20C. I have taken it into the dealer once, where they applied lubricant to the latch, but the next day it would not close again.

The maintenance person at the dealership said he has seen between 20 and 30 similar cases at that location this winter.

I will try opening one of the other doors prior to closing the liftgate during the next cold snap, and provide a follow-up.

Well, it was -20C this morning, and I tried closing the liftgate with one of the four doors open, and it did not resolve the issue. The liftgate remains ajar.

Last edited:
Welcome! I see this is your first post. Will you post a photo of your car for us?

The CX-5 has a very stiff chassis, that's one reason they handle so well. If your hatch is difficult to close it could just be the hydraulic struts. Once they wear in it will get easier. There is a small chance the hinges need adjusting but that's something I would let the dealer do under warranty if, in fact, it is not adjusted properly.

Or, you might just expect it to need less of a slam than it does. As others have mentioned, the car is pretty air tight.

Back