Seatbelt light always on.

:
2002 MP5
One day before getting on the freeway, my seatbelt buckle would not click in. I had to jam it in which fixed everything and it always clicks in.

The problem is that my seat belt light is always on. Is there any way to fix this?

One day before getting on the freeway, my seatbelt buckle would not click in. I had to jam it in which fixed everything and it always clicks in.

The problem is that my seat belt light is always on. Is there any way to fix this?

not sure how you would fix this but if the light on your dash is bothering you then you can reach under the drivers seat and find the wire, their should be only one wire under the seat and just unplug it, your light will go off! I do believe the plug is more near the seat belt latch its self, i did the same thing to my car and its so easy!

not sure how you would fix this but if the light on your dash is bothering you then you can reach under the drivers seat and find the wire, their should be only one wire under the seat and just unplug it, your light will go off! I do believe the plug is more near the seat belt latch its self, i did the same thing to my car and its so easy!

that's not how your fix a problem...

I saw that plug while cleaning my car but thought it would also have to do with the airbag. What if I replace the seatbelt holder? Would that fix it?

I had this happen a few months ago. I found a used buckle assembly on eBay for $15 and replaced it. It was pretty simple to pull the seat and bolt on the new assembly.

I had this happen a few months ago. I found a used buckle assembly on eBay for $15 and replaced it. It was pretty simple to pull the seat and bolt on the new assembly.

+1 i found a seat buckle assembly in a junkyard, pulled it, and replaced the broken one on my car, and haven't seen the light come back since

I personally just don't like wearing it lol.

Does anybody know if unhooking the cable will make the airbag not deploy in a wreck? I know a lot of newer cars won't if there isn't more than 70lbs on the passenger but the drivers will still go. But that's ad far as my knowledge goes

I personally just don't like wearing it lol.

Does anybody know if unhooking the cable will make the airbag not deploy in a wreck? I know a lot of newer cars won't if there isn't more than 70lbs on the passenger but the drivers will still go. But that's ad far as my knowledge goes

Shouldn't it tell you that stuff in the owners manual...

REP! This is the answer I was really looking for. I figured the assembly needed replacing, just wanted to make sure. I would rather just pull the plug if it safe though. I put money where it matters.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Is there any way to safely crack open the seat belt buckle receiver? My seat belt dash light is always on as well, but I noticed that with the seat belt securely latched I can simply push the buckle into the receiver just a little bit further and the light will go off. Of course, as soon as I stop pushing it the light comes back on. So it seems to me that there is a contact point that has gotten bent or misaligned or something - hard to say without opening the cover on the receiver. I've tried ever so gently prying it open, but it didn't seem to be budging so I decided not to press my luck. Has anyone ever opened up the receiver on our cars and successfully been able to put it back together (in other words - you didn't break it in the process)?

I think I have another approach,...

Disconnect the plug under the seat,.. hook the wire up to a switch ,.. then when you are safely connected into your seat belt,.. hit the switch and the computer will deploy your airbag (if need be),... Because it thinks U R there.

the air bags and seatbelts are not connected. however does anyone know why the seat belt light would not come on at all (the bulb is fine) i checked the wiring under seat and it seems all connected ok. it started after i replaced a different light in the gauge cluster and i pulled it again to check after i noticed and even changed the bulb and socket with no luck on a fix.

Last edited:
no it would not, however the airbag sensors and seatbelt sensors are in no way connected on these cars. or even on most cars. the only thing our seatbelt sensor does is turn on a light to say put your belt on. anyway i checked my wiring and its all plugged up and tight and my seatbelt light will not come on (bulb and socket are fine) any ideas?

Last edited:
...my seatbelt light will not come on (bulb and socket are fine) any ideas?

Your seat-belt switch could be broken,.. it could be always "open" or always "closed".

Do this to find out,....

seatbelt_zpsd1f86f27.jpg

Update to an old thread...

.... the only thing our seatbelt sensor does is turn on a light to say put your belt on.

After checking my new wiring diagrams I'm pretty sure that ^^^ isn't true.

The seatbelt switch wire also feeds into a microcomputer, so there may be no airbag deployment if the seatbelt light is on...

Screenshot_2017-11-07-07-18-07.png

I realized today that there is a beeper that comes on for a few seconds if you start your car without your seatbelt on.

That microcomputer may simply operate the beeper and timer.

(I have grown oblivious to the beeper, don't even notice it anymore)

My light always stays on too.

Back