Show me your CX-5 wheels

P1020283-vi.jpg

ZuluCX ,

Can you tell me how well that Giant road bike fits in the back of the CX-5? Do you have to remove the front wheel?

Thanks

Can you tell me how well that Giant road bike fits in the back of the CX-5? Do you have to remove the front wheel?

Thanks

I never tried, it is quite late now, I assume with the rear seats lowered it would fit (but tight fit), I will try tomorrow, I have to remove the child seats.

I never tried, it is quite late now, I assume with the rear seats lowered it would fit (but tight fit), I will try tomorrow, I have to remove the child seats.

Thanks, that's really nice of you. I transport my road bike all the time in my FJ Cruiser and I am looking to get something a little smaller and with better fuel mileage.

Thanks, that's really nice of you. I transport my road bike all the time in my FJ Cruiser and I am looking to get something a little smaller and with better fuel mileage.

Tried it last night before my hockey game, it fits perfectly without removing the front wheel, I even kept one of the rear seat up (40-20-40, so I was 0-0-40). So you should not have any problems fitting your bike in the trunk.

Winter Tire Set-up For GT

Winter tire.jpg

Winter set-up with Michelin X-ICE 2 225/65/17 RIM is an RTX STRATUS, looks a bit better than the standard black steel rims.

winter setup is in for my GT, (yes) those will be on the car early November unless mother nature decides to dump some snow before...
P1020284-vi.jpg

P1020283-vi.jpg

P1020282-vi.jpg

Those tires look sexy, have you installed them yet? How would you describe the noise from the studs?

Yes they have been on the Cx-5 for about 3 weeks now.

As for noise, I am not sure I am a good reference, as I always had studded tires for winter (on the WRX, the Outlander and now the Cx5). They are definitevely more quiet than the Hakka 5 I had on the Outlander, especially at highway speed. At slow speed they are also quieter but you can still hear them well, it always make me laugh because pretty much all people walking turn their heads to see what is comming and they try to see what the hell I am rolling on. I would say they are probably the quietest studded tires out there by a good margin.

Now all this being said, if noise is one of your main criteria, don't get them, you will get crazy before spring...

But for me the trade off is worth it, just for the 2-3 occasion over the last 10 years where the studded tires saved my butt on black invisible ice comming to a light even if I was not comming fast. The problem is people behind you...

Its been nearly a month I've had them installed, at first the noise was unbearable, like a howling noise @ 60km/h. This is the first time I've run with studded tires, but with more snow on the ground and the tires more broken in I love them. The noise from the studs is quieter and the traction I have....I can drive as aggressive as I want and not worry.

For the winter I just replaced my OEM 17" wheels and Yokohama Geolanders with OZ Alleggerita HLT's shod with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT's in the same size. Unfortunately it got dark before I could snap a photo.

But I can report that the car lost enough weight that it feels even perkier during acceleration. The difference was far more than I would have guessed. It just feels zippier, especially noticeable around 30-60 mph. This was the best mod I can imagine doing to a CX-5. I think when the Geolanders wear out I'll look for a lighter set of summer tires (and maybe another set of aftermarket wheels).

I weighed all eight wheels with the tires mounted. While my snow tires are spec'ed as 1 lb. heavier each compared to the Geolanders, I still lost a total weight of 21.2 lbs. Based on the tire manufacturers specs, the weight certificates that came with my new wheels (weighed to 1/1000th of a lb.) and adjusting slightly for the 3000 miles on the Geolanders, I estimate the OEM 17" wheels weigh about 22 lbs. each. This means one can save around 28 lbs of wheel weight by switching to aftermarket rims in the 14-15 lb. range. That is enough to really feel the difference in acceleration. While I think the acceleration with the OEM wheels is more than adequate for normal driving, I like this change because it means I can accelerate faster with less need for downshifting.

I'll post pictures of the new wheels mounted up in the next couple of weeks.

Oh, I'll add that the new snow tires have slightly more road noise but I don't think I would have noticed if I were not specifically listening for that.

Anyone interested in my stock 19" wheels and tires, let me know. Less than 100 miles on them. I swapped them for 20" Zinik Z32. Located in Syosset, NY.

OZ Wheels and snow tires

Finally got around to taking/posting wheel photos. Forgive the dirty car - it's been through a lot lately.

O.Z. Alleggerita HLT 17 x 7
Color: Anthracite
Weight: 14.9 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpg
    IMG_9636.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 3,098
  • IMG_9642.jpg
    IMG_9642.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,714
  • IMG_9648.jpg
    IMG_9648.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,489
looks pretty good...

what width are the tires?

I'm not sure if you are responding to me - the threaded view doesn't always display or work properly for me.

My winter tires are 225/65 17", same as the stock tires/wheels.

I just installed my winter set-up.

Good Year Ultra Grip-Ice WRT on the 17" steelies i kept from my Speed3.

Doesn't look really good but i dont care, all i care is having a good winter set-up's for those harsh qubec winter.

Here is a few pic's from my ride and from my ex-Speed3 that i miss so much some day.....(cryhard)

Attachments

• voiture (4).jpg
    voiture (4).jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 2,188
  • voiture (5).jpg
    voiture (5).jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 1,245
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 1,695
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 1,286
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 1,268
Last edited:
MSW Type 99 17" wheels with Michelin X-Ice2

Put these on today just in time for our first snow. No driving report yet, what do you think I'm gonna drive my nice new CX5 in this sloppy stuff? :)

CX5_FQ_post.jpg
CX5_wheel.JPG
CX5_side.JPG

I just installed my winter set-up.

Good Year Ultra Grip-Ice WRT on the 17" steelies i kept from my Speed3.

Doesn't look really good but i dont care, all i care is having a good winter set-up's for those harsh qubec winter.

Yeah, I agree, appearance is low on my priority list compared to how they perform. It's hard to see how they look when you're driving your vehicle and I have better things to do than stand around and gaze at my car. But I did get a good look at my car last month while driving through downtown. The reflection in the store window was perfect! And if I'm not mistaken, the sexiest mannequin in the window did a double-take, LOL!

On a more serious note, I'm really impressed with the snow handling of my new Good Year Ultra Grip-Ice WRT's. I've had snow tires that worked better on pure ice but the GY's excel in the sloppy stuff and the ice performance is easily better than any all season radial I've tried - even ones with a snowflake on the sidewall.

For the winter I just replaced my OEM 17" wheels and Yokohama Geolanders with OZ Alleggerita HLT's shod with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT's in the same size. Unfortunately it got dark before I could snap a photo.

But I can report that the car lost enough weight that it feels even perkier during acceleration. The difference was far more than I would have guessed. It just feels zippier, especially noticeable around 30-60 mph. This was the best mod I can imagine doing to a CX-5. I think when the Geolanders wear out I'll look for a lighter set of summer tires (and maybe another set of aftermarket wheels).

I weighed all eight wheels with the tires mounted. While my snow tires are spec'ed as 1 lb. heavier each compared to the Geolanders, I still lost a total weight of 21.2 lbs. Based on the tire manufacturers specs, the weight certificates that came with my new wheels (weighed to 1/1000th of a lb.) and adjusting slightly for the 3000 miles on the Geolanders, I estimate the OEM 17" wheels weigh about 22 lbs. each. This means one can save around 28 lbs of wheel weight by switching to aftermarket rims in the 14-15 lb. range. That is enough to really feel the difference in acceleration. While I think the acceleration with the OEM wheels is more than adequate for normal driving, I like this change because it means I can accelerate faster with less need for downshifting.

I'll post pictures of the new wheels mounted up in the next couple of weeks.

Oh, I'll add that the new snow tires have slightly more road noise but I don't think I would have noticed if I were not specifically listening for that.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've read articles from reputable hot rod/custom auto magazines and their tests show that even losing 20 lbs of wheel and tire made no "significant" difference in acceleration. The difference wasn't consistently measurable but was around .02 seconds from zero to 60. 2/100ths of a second would not be noticeable behind the wheel.

Back