Show me your CX-5 wheels

We are using Gorilla black spline on gun metal wheel with a black center cap.

We will mount them Monday and will post some pics.

Oem l nuts will not fit these wheels.
Are you using the OEM sensor/valve stems? Debating if I want the black or light stem.

We are using Gorilla black spline on gun metal wheel with a black center cap.

We will mount them Monday and will post some pics.

Oem l nuts will not fit these wheels.
I have to use a different nut as well due to the seat being different than the oem wheels. I may just go with Gorillas in black.

Yes, the shop will swap them to the new wheels.

I plan to sell the oem wheels and didn't want to reprogram for different tps.
Ok. I'm planning on keeping the Mazda wheels just in case I ever put the car back to stock. These wheels are an investment and I'll probably move them to a new model in the future, barring Mazda changing their bolt pattern or radically altering their offsets. So I'm thinking about picking up a set of the Autel sensors for the new wheels. I don't really need sensors, but I also don't want to be annoyed by a light on the dash.

Ok. I'm planning on keeping the Mazda wheels just in case I ever put the car back to stock. These wheels are an investment and I'll probably move them to a new model in the future, barring Mazda changing their bolt pattern or radically altering their offsets. So I'm thinking about picking up a set of the Autel sensors for the new wheels. I don't really need sensors, but I also don't want to be annoyed by a light on the dash.
I don't have space to store the OE wheels.

If I were going to keep my wheels, I would still swap in the sensors and deal with putting sensors in the OE wheels if/when the time comes.

I have a set of centering rings for the new wheels as well. Switching to my aftermarket rims requires centering rings. One more detail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRaev1d3vUE

I have to use a different nut as well due to the seat being different than the oem wheels. I may just go with Gorillas in black.
Sneak peak...I want short lugs that don't stick out.

1000019703.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. I've never researched lug nuts before, such a seemingly mundane topic they are.

Looks like Forgestar uses conical tapered lugs. Needs to be the narrower "tuner" variety like the Gorillas posted above. The ones that have spinning seats look like a good idea, though. I'll keep looking.

Mazda thread pitch appears to be 12x1.5 based on some searching.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've never researched lug nuts before, such a seemingly mundane topic they are.

Looks like Forgestar uses conical tapered lugs. Needs to be the narrower "tuner" variety like the Gorillas posted above. The ones that have spinning seats look like a good idea, though. I'll keep looking.

Mazda thread pitch appears to be 12x1.5 based on some searching.
Be curious to see what all you find out out. I have looked into them in a quite awhile but am getting close to the time to finally need them.

I did a fitup today. It looks about perfect, 19" x 8", 45 mm.

We like black lug nuts with the black center cap and black fender trim.

Wheel weighed 19.8#. They were advertised to be 25#. Some say the factory 19" wheel weighs almost 32#. 12# per wheel reduction is a good thing!

We are ready to mount as soon as the ceramic coating arrives..

0413241752.jpg
0413241746.jpg
0413241746_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on the hunt for short lug nuts because I don't like the protruding look. I also want closed-end, black or gunmetal. Something like this:

green-dodge-viper-black-racing-stripes-6-lug-matte-black-rims-concave-forgestar-wheels-f-scale...jpg

orange-audi-r8-v10-supercar-wheels-forgestar-cf5v-aftermarket-rims-r.jpg

These are close: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

But I'm looking for ones that have a floating seat which won't scratch off your powdercoat, like these: Project Kics R26 Shorty Lug Nuts with Locks - Composite Black - JHPUSA

One alternative is that you could install lug covers over an open lug, but that feels like a cheap solution.

These look really neat! But too long. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
I'm on the hunt for short lug nuts because I don't like the protruding look. I also want closed-end, black or gunmetal. Something like this:

View attachment 327280

View attachment 327281

These are close: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

But I'm looking for ones that have a floating seat which won't scratch off your powdercoat, like these: Project Kics R26 Shorty Lug Nuts with Locks - Composite Black - JHPUSA

One alternative is that you could install lug covers over an open lug, but that feels like a cheap solution.
Those are nice looking lug nuts.

The floating seat may or likely lock when applying the final torque, +-90 #ft. the powder coating will go away. Floating seat is a cool idea. In practice it's questionable. Same principle of roller tip rocker arms. Once pressure is applied the roller locks and it slides across the valve.

I missed what brand wheel you have and weight? They look really nice!!

I missed what brand wheel you have and weight? They look really nice!!

Custom build because they don't stock 20x9 +45 5x114.3

I really splurged. Feel a little guilty. But that feeling will probably disappear when I get them installed :)

Will get them weighed soon.

Those are nice looking lug nuts.

The floating seat may or likely lock when applying the final torque, +-90 #ft. the powder coating will go away. Floating seat is a cool idea. In practice it's questionable. Same principle of roller tip rocker arms. Once pressure is applied the roller locks and it slides across the valve.
I might go with these. Here's a look at the floating seat. And I like the flat heads which look nice in the lug hole against the face of the wheel.

Black SplineDrive 4 Lug Wheel Installation Kit (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size); Set of 12 Lug Nuts, 1 Installation Tool, 4 Wheel Locks, 1 key, & Key Storage Pouch

And here are the hub centric rings I'm ordering: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Installed some wheels spacers... 25mm in the back, 20mm in the front...

Attachments

• Mazda CX 5 Wheel Spacers.jpg
    Mazda CX 5 Wheel Spacers.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Mazda CX 5 Wheel Spacers II.jpg
    Mazda CX 5 Wheel Spacers II.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 14
  • Mazda CX 5 Wheel Spacers III.jpg
    Mazda CX 5 Wheel Spacers III.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Mazda CX 5 Wheel Spacers IV.jpg
    Mazda CX 5 Wheel Spacers IV.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 17
Installed some wheels spacers... 25mm in the back, 20mm in the front...
Those look great.

BTW, who's rotors are you using?

I just ordered a set of R1 Concepts for the front. My OEM brakes are squealing. I've lubricated and filed the pad slide notch. It helped a lot but still squeal now and then. And a good excuse to get drilled and slotted....

Custom build because they don't stock 20x9 +45 5x114.3

I really splurged. Feel a little guilty. But that feeling will probably disappear when I get them installed :)

Will get them weighed soon.
Those sound nice. Curious how much clearance you will have up front on the inside with a 9" width at stock et 45?

I did a fitup today. It looks about perfect, 19" x 8", 45 mm.

We like black lug nuts with the black center cap and black fender trim.

Wheel weighed 19.8#. They were advertised to be 25#. Some say the factory 19" wheel weighs almost 32#. 12# per wheel reduction is a good thing!

We are ready to mount as soon as the ceramic coating arrives..

View attachment 327270 View attachment 327271View attachment 327269
Those look really nice. If those clear the front inside fine then my 19x8.5 et43 should be good as well then.

Those sound nice. Curious how much clearance you will have up front on the inside with a 9" width at stock et 45?
By the math I have about 30-35mm clearance and I'm adding 1" (25.4mm) of section width in each direction. That's why you can't go larger than 245/45/20 or 245/50/19 at this offset.

Last edited:
Back