Show me your CX-5 wheels

Enkie TSR-X 20x9.5 40
Nitto INVO 275/40r20

No spacers, no rub. Corksport lowering Springs on 22 Turbo

Attachments

• 352297537_1626864824493809_284620521093710267_n.jpg
    352297537_1626864824493809_284620521093710267_n.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 385
So other that knocking the accuracy of your speedometer off tell me the real advantage of these larger wheels. Not the Oh their cool!

So other that knocking the accuracy of your speedometer off tell me the real advantage of these larger wheels. Not the Oh their cool!
Hi Oleman, glad to reply...
What will be a satisfied answer for your question?

Because I just want it, because it fits.
Yes it looks better, yes it handles a little bit better with the combination of the H&R set. I thought It might have been hard, but no it's perfect.

The CX-5 I had in 2019 had 20inch with Eibach and Bilstein, that was a bit harder. This is the link: Lowered CX-5 Appreciation: Show me your drop!

My 2021 Mazda6 was lowered and had 20inch, this is the link: Mazda6 Photos - Share your pics!

I had a option to go for 245/40r21 with no difference. But I choose the 255. And this is the result, original vs new:
tyres.JPG

And then another serious reason:
I have the same on our Mazda2. In 17inch and this wheel is in 21inch available for the CX-5

Yes I love the way both cars look and match, sorry.....

Same wheels just updated photos with kenstyle bodykit from thailand, duckbill spoiler from Taiwan, fender flares from Russia etc updated suspension from Megan racing springs to BC coilovers, Megan racing front/rear sway bars, megan racing H-brace, Megan racing rear upper control arms and toe arms. more bars will be added later like a trunk bar and rear lower bar etc.

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

After much deliberation, ended up with a set of Enkei Racing PF01 in 18x8 ET40 with 225 Pirelli Scorpion A/S. 46.4lbs per corner down from 49lbs per corner with OE 17s. Fills out the wheel wells nicely. I stayed with 18s for some sidewall/comfort.

Ok, installed:

20x8.5et45 FLOW ONE Race Spec F5 wheels + Michelin 255/45R20 pilot sport 4S, Eibach springs
P1011645.jpg

P1011649.jpg
P1011647.jpg

P1011634_2.jpg

P1011636_2.jpg

Why these wheels?
I like Japanese motorsport style, 5/6/7-spoke, 2/3-piece designs. But I wanted to go bigger than 19in, and get something lightweight. To do all that was going to be $3-5k. I went for these because they're light (22.4lb each), an easy to clean 5-spoke design, and at $225 each they left room in my budget for nice tires and some brake upgrades (yet to bet installed).

Custom Paint
In a 5x114.3 pattern, these are only available in gloss black, which isn't the look I was after. I decided to try to paint them 2-tone myself. The paint is duplicolor silver and graphite wheel paints, then spraymax 2k clear.

Fit Lessons learned
  • 20 is not much bigger than 19. I was thinking the spokes extending all the way to the rim would make them look really large, but they don't look much bigger than the stock 19s.
  • The additional 1.5in width over stock isn't much. I wish they were a little more aggressive. If they're still available in a few years when my powertrain warranty expires, I might get 10in wide wheels for the rears. In the meantime I'm looking into spacers.
  • These wheels are gonna get rashed mid-spoke. I was hoping the spokes didn't arc much further outboard of the rim, and having wide 255 tires would protect them, but no. Eventually these will get curb rash in a very obvious way.
We think alike on nearly all points. Thanks for sharing.

I am looking at the same sizing: 8.5" width, 45 offset, because it seems to fit best. Going to 9" wheels or below a 39 offset will poke out at the front from all the pictures I have seen and the measurements I took on my car. One could get a lower offset for the rears, but then you can't rotate. So the best way to do it would be to just add spacers at the rear.

The other reason I'm hesitant to go wider in the rear is that the car already understeers hard, so over-tiring the rear would only make matters worse.

All that to say that our wheel choices are rather slim. My searching has revealed the Flow One F2 and F5 wheels, among a few others. Each has unique tradeoffs:

The F5 look great, and I have always liked these types of 5-spoke designs with the right proportions. But there's the potential for scrapes, as you have noted. Real easy cleaning, though.

The F2 is another great look, but due to their odd sizing, would force me into 20's. The tire cost for me is actually the same either way, so it's really just the increased wheel cost, a few pounds of weight at each corner, and less sidewall soaking up the bumps. I remember complaining about the CX-50 ride quality on its 20" wheels, but I think there were also contributions from the suspension.

What I would really prefer would be something like the ESR AP5 for its lip; however the lip is granted by the lower offset, so unless you have fender flares, you can't make a 30 offset work on these cars.

Last edited:
We think alike on nearly all points. Thanks for sharing.

I am looking at the same sizing: 8.5" width, 45 offset, because it seems to fit best. Going to 9" wheels or below a 39 offset will poke out at the front from all the pictures I have seen and the measurements I took on my car. One could get a lower offset for the rears, but then you can't rotate. So the best way to do it would be to just add spacers at the rear.

The other reason I'm hesitant to go wider in the rear is that the car already understeers hard, so over-tiring the rear would only make matters worse.

All that to say that our wheel choices are rather slim. My searching has revealed the Flow One F2 and F5 wheels, among a few others. Each has unique tradeoffs:

The F5 look great, and I have always liked these types of 5-spoke designs with the right proportions. But there's the potential for scrapes, as you have noted. Real easy cleaning, though.

The F2 is another great look, but due to their odd sizing, would force me into 20's. The tire cost for me is actually the same either way, so it's really just the increased wheel cost, a few pounds of weight at each corner, and less sidewall soaking up the bumps. I remember complaining about the CX-50 ride quality on its 20" wheels, but I think there were also contributions from the suspension.

What I would really prefer would be something like the ESR AP5 for its lip; however the lip is granted by the lower offset, so unless you have fender flares, you can't make a 30 offset work on these cars.
Nice looking wheels and a lot cheaper than stock Mazda wheels!

Well...

19 x 8.5 et30 looks goooood (from reddit)

Avant Garde M520-R 19x8.5 30 - 235/50/19

(Reddit: Apollofromitaly)

Front pokes slightly, don't think they've got adjustable rear control arms.
1701661568744.jpeg

1701661256640.jpeg

1701661514957.jpeg

Another 19x8.5 30 from Fitment industries site:

ESR Ap6 19x8.5 +30 245/50 19

Seems pretty square at stock height.

1701662113934.png

1701662164432.png

Last edited:
Nice looking wheels and a lot cheaper than stock Mazda wheels!
Definitely. Can anyone comment on ride quality going from 19" to 20" and losing an inch of tire? Otherwise I am fine sticking with 19" as well.

I'm also keen on finding other brands. A lot of Enkei wheels don't come in these 19-20" sizes. Some Konigs do. I like the Ampliform but they don't come in the gloss gunmental color I'm after, and I like the Ultragram but they max out at 18"

Another 19x8.5 30 from Fitment industries site:

ESR Ap6 19x8.5 +30 245/50 19

Seems pretty square at stock height.
Sorry man--I appreciate the pictures, but those setups (especially the last one) look like they poke out a bit up front. It seems like the line is drawn at 8.5" +40 or 9" +45 up front.

IMO the first one that @teddymac posted looks pretty close to perfect. Even if it wasn't lowered and the wheels aren't super wide, it would still look very athletic. But of course, it's all preference.

Also keep in mind that not only are the tires wider on the 2nd CX-5 he posted, they're also a different brand of tire. And those Continentals look like they might offer a bit more rim protection with a more prominent sidewall where the rim mounts, compared to the tires on the first CX-5.

Indeed they do, and that is the tire I am going to run. That looks much fatter than a 245/50 on an 8.5"! This alone is pushing me more toward 245/45/20 and keeping the offset higher than 40.

Generally you want the tire 1" wider than the wheel for a flat-ish sidewall, 245 (9.6") on an 8.5 is perfect
Yep. I also saw the Tire Rack testing that showed the importance of making sure the wheel supports the tire, so all up-sizing tires will do is lead to mushy handling.

Edit: this one

I'd rather run the wheel at the max of the recommended range for the tire, which for the DWS06+ is 245 on an 8.5". Some even run a little bit less tire but in the 19" and 20" sizes for this tire there aren't any that maintain the same total diameter other than 245/50/19 and 245/45/20.

Last edited:
A 2022 Turbo in Black Mica with Flow One Race Spec F2 wheels (20x8.5 +45mm offset) and Continental DSW06+ tires (245/45ZR20).

SUV has been lowered 1.75" front and back.

Bottom pic shows the new slotted rotors with the wheels/tires.

View attachment 312055View attachment 312056

21 CX-5 GT-R AWD
20" x 8.5" Flow One F2 Wheels (Black Machined w/ Dark Tint)
245/45ZR20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+
Corksport Lowering Springs
Front and Rear Bilstein B6 Struts and Shocks
Front and Rear Hardrace Sway Bars
Megan Racing Rear Camber Kit
Racing Beats Power Pulse Axelback Exhaust

Finally after a year waiting for Parts (Bilstein B6's) got this done. Looks, drives, handles, much better than before.
You guys did your homework and have confirmed a lot of what I've been thinking. Thanks! This gives me a visual of the same tires in the same size I've been looking at.

It looks like this car could still accommodate a small spacer in the rear, OR a 40 offset wheel. Or a 9" wheel. But (correct me if I'm wrong) bringing the offset down puts all of the lip or concavity gain to the outside, whereas a wider wheel shares it equally with the inside, which is wasted. So maybe 20×8.5 ET40 is perfect, or a 20×9 ET45? Do you guys feel that would work or would it stick out in the front with those tires?

Back