Show me your CX-5 wheels

If it were me, would stick closer to stock.

You will change some dynamics by wider tires.

Wider looks better and fills out the wheel wells.

dry traction and cornering improved.

wet traction will be worse...i.e. greater chance hydroplane

may cost more.

the wider the tire, the heavier. More weight equals possible reduced performance. May feel more sluggish.

I went from heavy 19 inch rims/tire setup to alot less weight 17 inch rim/tire setup and you can feel the difference with lighter tire/rim combos. The car is faster, and not sluggish.

I will be switching to 235 70r16 in spring and may eventually go to 245 on my cx5. I would never put a 255 on.

Just my opinion.
it's your car, do what makes you happy.
just make sure you weighed the positive and negatives.
Thanks very much for your input my friend. It's very helpful. I was even considering downsizing to 18" from the stock 19" because I like the look of the beefier tires. Maybe I'll go 245/55/18?

Thanks very much for your input my friend. It's very helpful. I was even considering downsizing to 18" from the stock 19" because I like the look of the beefier tires. Maybe I'll go 245/55/18?
The 245/55/r18 are just about the same diameter so height is good. If you do the 18 setup right, you can drop some unsprung weight , and slightly increase acceleration. Not to mention a slightly more comfortable/less bumpy ride. From memory the stock 19 combo weight was 59.6 lbs. so if you have a good lighter rim and tire combo, you'll be all set. For reference my current 17 combo is only 54.2 lbs and my final 16 combo will be 47 lbs.. that's over 12 lbs per tire/rim for a total drop of 50 lbs unsprung weight.
It does make a difference. Just make sure the tire company makes the 245 55 18 in the tire you want. You may have to go with a different tire or brand to get the 245 55r18.

Last edited:
Opinions please! I'm trying to decide on tire sizes for these M001 wheels for my CX-5 Signature. Here are the sizes I am considering:

255/50/19
vs
245/50/19

The slight variation in the speedo vs stock with either of these sizes is no big deal to me.

I can't seem to decide so I'd appreciate your suggestions!
Yours can be sized differently. A toyo 245 may run slimmer than a continental. There’s more than just the size on the sidewall…. Either way, I’d stick to the 245

245/55-18 is what I have for my summer setup. Love it.

Attachments

• IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_3639.JPG
    IMG_3639.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_3638.JPG
    IMG_3638.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 617
Yes! I love the look of the beefier tires with the 18". This looks so nice. I really like your wheels too. Now I'm on the fence between the M001 and M012 in 18". :unsure:

The M011 are 1.2lbs heavier per wheel than the M012, and that was why I went with the latter.

M011 18x8.0 ET+45 24.4lbs
M012 18x8.0 ET+45 23.2lbs

The M011 are 1.2lbs heavier per wheel than the M012, and that was why I went with the latter.

M011 18x8.0 ET+45 24.4lbs
M012 18x8.0 ET+45 23.2lbs
For comparison, the 19" stock combined rims/tires are approx. 59.6 pounds give or take a smidge. I seem to recall that the stock rims were 29.6 lbs.

Not sure if this is accurate but it says the OEM 19" wheels are 40 lbs! So the M011 and M012 would be a significant reduction is weight.

That seems kinda high. The 2018 pizza cutter 19 inch rims are only 29 to 30 lbs. Only way to know for sure is take off your tire/wheel combo and weigh it, then subtract the tire.

54.5 lbs. versus 60.1 lbs. for the stockers. About 5.6 lbs. lighter per wheel/tire so 22.4 lbs. of rotational mass off the car. Anybody who rides bicycles knows how much rotational mass matters!
in this post, Komodo is comparing OEM 19" weight to his new 19" setup. OEM 19" with 225/55/19 Toyo A36 = 60.1 lbs. . Toyo A36=29lbs, so the 19" OEM wheels are 31.1 lbs.

although a smaller diameter rim may be lighter, the tire weight is usually heavier, comparitively and because is further from hub, will affect rotating inertia more. in other words, the tires weight has the greatest impact on rotating inertia of the wheel(rim+tire).

changing overall tire diameter from OEM will also affect gearing and affecting performance. taller heightens gearing, shorter lowers gearing.

Not sure if this is accurate but it says the OEM 19" wheels are 40 lbs! So the M011 and M012 would be a significant reduction is weight.

Definitely not 40lbs for the OEM 19s. The OEM 20s on the CX-9 (similar style) weigh 39.55 lbs and they are an inch bigger in diameter and 1.5 inches wider as well. @surftoad's numbers seem more accurate.

Hi all,

New to the forum but have been lurking over the past week. Love a lot of these looks on the CX-5 in here.

I'm currently shopping for a new set of wheels and tires to replace my 17" OEMs on my Black 2020 Touring but need some advice.

I'm a big fan of copper/bronze look and I feel as if I've narrowed it down to three options (open to other suggestions as well).

Enkei TS10 Copper 18x9.5 ET+35

Enkei TFR Copper 19x8.5 ET+45

Sparco Assetto Gara 19x8 ET+45

I guess my biggest question here I suppose is the offsets because I'm still a bit lost admittedly when it comes to that. I love the look of the TS10's the most - but is the +35 offset going to poke too much? I know the OEMs are +45 so I'd imagine the other two options should work.

This is definitely a stupid question: I've also been going back and forth on 18" and 19". I believe I want bigger wheels in general - but is there a big difference ride & handling wise if I were to go up to 19"?

Thanks in advance!

817ECCF2-475B-48C5-9830-FF7FA9DEED87.jpeg
18x9.5 +35… if the tires weren’t so fat, the rim of the wheel would be flush with the fender.

Attachments

• EF1A8B3D-B46A-4783-A194-D7F0E30550F1.jpeg
    EF1A8B3D-B46A-4783-A194-D7F0E30550F1.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 135
Hi all,

New to the forum but have been lurking over the past week. Love a lot of these looks on the CX-5 in here.

I'm currently shopping for a new set of wheels and tires to replace my 17" OEMs on my Black 2020 Touring but need some advice.

I'm a big fan of copper/bronze look and I feel as if I've narrowed it down to three options (open to other suggestions as well).

I guess my biggest question here I suppose is the offsets because I'm still a bit lost admittedly when it comes to that. I love the look of the TS10's the most - but is the +35 offset going to poke too much? I know the OEMs are +45 so I'd imagine the other two options should work.

This is definitely a stupid question: I've also been going back and forth on 18" and 19". I believe I want bigger wheels in general - but is there a big difference ride & handling wise if I were to go up to 19"?

Thanks in advance!

Aside from comparing with what others are running in this thread, your best bet is to use a wheel and tire calculator like the one found here: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

You can plug in your OEM/starting wheel and tire specs, then plug in the specs of the wheels/tires you're considering, and it will give you a lot of helpful information. Here a screenshot to give you an idea:

Capture1.JPG

And here's a comparison I did with my OEM wheels vs. my "summer setup":

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

You can also use this site to find the OEM wheel specs for your car, if you don't already know them.

Aside from comparing with what others are running in this thread, your best bet is to use a wheel and tire calculator like the one found here: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

You can plug in your OEM/starting wheel and tire specs, then plug in the specs of the wheels/tires you're considering, and it will give you a lot of helpful information. Here a screenshot to give you an idea:

View attachment 308296

And here's a comparison I did with my OEM wheels vs. my "summer setup":

View attachment 308297
View attachment 308298

You can also use this site to find the OEM wheel specs for your car, if you don't already know them.
Thanks for sending this over. This has honestly been a ton of help throwing in these different numbers and tire sizes to get a better understanding!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Those Enkei TS10's are gorgeous and get my vote.

Back