Engine Revving While Slowing Down

aperture_shot

:
Mazda Cx-5 GT
I've noticed that whenever I slow down to approach the light the engine revs up before going to a complete stop. I'm kinda used to it but it's just annoying sometimes that I have to step on the brakes a little more to prevent it for lunging forward. Is this the mazda rev matching while down shifting? Has anyone ever noticed this on theirs? I have the GT with no tech.

my GT doesn't do that. Rev matching was my first thought but that just revs to keep the speed the same so it is smooth.

No revs on mine, and I just left the office for an errand so I even watched and went the long way around to stop a few times. No difference when it was still warming up (blue temp light on) or warm.

Wouldn't this be engine braking? The revving would be to match the engine speed to a specific gear to use the engine to help brake the car instead of only using the brakes.

the only thing I have notice is that sometimes when I slow down or stop accelerating, it may takes a second or two for the Revs to come down (like if throttle was still applied...)

Wouldn't this be engine braking? The revving would be to match the engine speed to a specific gear to use the engine to help brake the car instead of only using the brakes.

It is and rarely felt in automatic mode on most auto trannys. But I can feel the Skyactiv auto tranny downshifting as I slow down, like it was designed to do. It's subtle but for those mechanically aware it can be felt.

btw - Welcome to mazdas247.com
This engine braking does not create a need for increased brake pedal pressure.

Last edited:
Thanks CXSV. I always step on the brake a little more because i feel that rev was making the vehicle move. Definitely do not have this on my mazda3s and cx-9 and braking was just what you expect. I feel like it's the downshift from 3-2 that is making it rev 2000-2500rpm. I might have to get this one checked to see if it's just me.

Upon searching, I found this on a chevy thread and is exactly what I am experiencing. http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5615

I've felt it on my touring couple of times. Feels like a downshift. Consistent with what cx-sv has said.

I think the revving is the sound that the engine is making as it automatically down shifts to help with the braking process.I get the same noise when I take the automatic transmission and put it into manual and downshift as I approach a traffic light.

Back