Mazda5 OEM Roof Rack Installation Guide: Gen1 (06-10) and Gen2 (12+)

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
Mazda5 OEM Roof Rack Installation Guide: Gen1 (06-10) and Gen2 (12+)

Similarities
-Same weight limit
-Require wind diffusers
-Made by Thule. Gen2 is stated as such, Gen1 is a guess based on the security key! Mazda is not in the business of making accessories ;)
-Mazda recommends do NOT operate the moon roof however it sounds like Gen1 rack can clear but Gen2 ‘may’ conflict depending on what you have on top… See WARNING section of install guide.
-Gen1 and Gen2 bars are interchangeable as the mounting points on the roof have not changed in the different Mazda5 model years.

Differences
-Gen2 bar is wider (sticks out more) so you have more carrying space and looks better than the Gen1 bar.
-Gen1 bar is easier to install/remove (hardware is built-in). Gen2 bar is a bit more cumbersome and requires tools (hex key and nut wrench) and more parts involved.

Gen1 (2006–2010)
Part# 0000-8L-L09 (new) CC43-V4-701G (old)
http://www.freefilehosting.net/mazdabaserackinstructions20062010

Gen2 (2012+)
Part# CG15-V4-701
http://www.freefilehosting.net/mazdabaserackinstructions2012up

Last edited:
Duh, I looked in my glove box and found the original installation instructions for my Gen1 Mazda 5... Shows how much I rely on the internet.

Everything is straight forward except for the "wind diffusers" which are super complicated.

I only used the wind diffusers when I first got the roof rack, after that they were just too annoying and I could not tell the difference anyway. I am selling the car and thought I would put them in the original location just because. Here is a photo of the page:

Also, it does say the diffusers are "only in case of driving with base rack without attachments"... In which case the best way to reduce wind noise is to remove the rack... anyway, I took a photo of everything installed: Like I said, I'm selling the car but I can re-use the attachments on the next car so I might as well put these wind noise reducers back on for "the next guy".

Last edited:
Back