Simple YES or NO question: Does 2012 factory roof rack fit 2008?

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
The roof rack threads are OUTTA CONTROL here, wow! So my simple question is:

Does a 2012 rack (CG15-V4-701) fit a 2008 Canadian Spec. GT?

Background: Just bought an '08 and managed to sweeten the deal with the dealer throwing in a new factory rack. I just cracked open the box to look at the instructions and the installation manual shows a picture of a 2012. This in itself isn't surprising because it is the latest model and a new, fresh from the warehouse, rack. I really hope this one fits, not only because it will be a pain to go back and exchange it, but the cross bars are super sweet, smooth, oval aluminum. Much nicer than the square black bars I often see on the road.

Thanks

You're in the best position to let us know since you own both, but my guess would be that it will be a perfect fit. Since I almost owned a 2012 and ended up buying a 2008, I researched the difference between both and was surprised to find how little had changed.

Sadly I can't just try to install it as *if* it doesn't fit I will need to contact my dealer and exchange it. He will not be pleased (even though it is his mistake) if I give him an open box with a half assembled rack in it. I have emailed him and asked him to confirm if this indeed a rack that will fit my 2008 but I was just hoping somebody here would know the answer, especially with some serious roof rack discussions going on.

Thanks though, I'll keep you posted.

You should have tried it and if I didn't fit I am sure the dealer would have exchanged it for the correct one if you played dumb and acted like you didnt notice the fact that it was for a 2012, since it was their fault. However you already notified them and if you do it now they may give you a hard time since they already know you noticed.

Well, I just heard back from the dealer who says both his Parts Manager and his best tech. confirm the racks *are* interchangeable. Perfect, as this 2012 rack looks much nicer.

Back