12v charger under center console

dsonyay62

:
2013 CX-5 Touring, FWD, Tech Package, fog lights, Bose, Moonroof
My wife has her phone charger plugged into this spot and I noticed it stays on after shutting off the car (this is the place under the center armrest ). If it stays on all the time will it drain the battery or cause excessive draw? She said her 07 Altima did the same thing. The 12v plug under the radio, near the shifter does not do this. Is this some sort of bug/defect? I don't see a problem if she runs the car nearly every day but if it would sit at an airport for a couple weeks it may be a problem to think about.

Can you guys take a look at this plug and verify this?

Does it shut off after X amount of time, or do you really mean it stays on all the time?

If it does stay "powered" regardless of accessory or engine status it will not drain the battery if nothing is plugged into it

if your charger has a draw from it whilst plugged in (like a light) then it will drain power from the battery. of course, its probably an LED anyway so you wont be draining your battery overnight with it

The 12v outlet actually has to have a load on it to draw power.

Yeah, it seems to stay powered. If I leave the charger plugged into it, the unit stay lit after the engine is off. This morning before starting the car I looked inside and it was still on. I suppose the LED will not draw much at all, but I just wondered if this was a bug, or something purposeful.

Was wondering if you guys can check and report what you find.

if you notice, on that one and the plug in cargo area, there is a car battery symbol, meaning its always hot, the one in the cubby on dash just shows 12v

it is intended functioning

if you notice, on that one and the plug in cargo area, there is a car battery symbol, meaning its always hot, the one in the cubby on dash just shows 12v

it is intended functioning

Good info! My eyes missed the symbol.. my wife has been hogging the car over the past couple of days and I haven't had much time in it to investigate.

So just leaving the charger plugged in should be ok?

Good info! My eyes missed the symbol.. my wife has been hogging the car over the past couple of days and I haven't had much time in it to investigate.

So just leaving the charger plugged in should be ok?

yeah most car chargers, even with something charging off them, the current draw is so low you should be fine except with extremely extended sits

strom--- thanks for the info- I downloaded the owner's manual and found the info in there as well. With the wife hogging the car so much, I have little time to learn about it. Now that I have the manual in pdf, I'll be able to answer most of my own questions.

The manual does state not to leave something plugged in to those particular sockets for long periods. I suppose they mean not to leave it parked for weeks with something drawing power.

strom--- thanks for the info- I downloaded the owner's manual and found the info in there as well. With the wife hogging the car so much, I have little time to learn about it. Now that I have the manual in pdf, I'll be able to answer most of my own questions.

The manual does state not to leave something plugged in to those particular sockets for long periods. I suppose they mean not to leave it parked for weeks with something drawing power.

yeah typical liability boilerplate language so when someone leaves their airpump plugged in and running overnight and it kills their battery they can't blame mazda
"why didn't you tell me i couldn't run something off socket all the time while the car was off"

12v sockets

I've found that both the one in the center console and the one in the cargo area are always powered. The third socket located in the cubby area under my AC controls is ignition switched. It's nice having a choice between the powered always and ignition switched sockets. That said I plug in my phone to the USB port most of the time, but keep a 12v to USB charger plugged into the spot in the center console if I need a faster charge. The light is always on, but I don't worry about it.

Back