Power steering pump?

Embav8r

:
2012 Mazda 5 sport
I'm wondering if it's what I'm hearing after I start the car and am driving at slow speed turning the steering wheel, like backing out of the driveway. Seems kind of louder than I'm used to in other cars. Thanks.

I can't say that I have heard any unusual noises from the steering system. That said, I doubt the noise you're hearing is the power steering pump, as it should be relatively quiet because it's electric. Generally, electric power steering systems are quieter. The power steering system still uses hydraulic fluid for the rack operation.

If the noise is the pump, there is likely something wrong. There is a chance its the rack, but very unlikely. If it's bothering you, take it into the dealer.

Thanks for the reply. It's not loud at all and I only notice it when backing out of the driveway turning the steering wheel. I dont hear it when going straight. In order to hear it the radio can't be on and there can't be kids in the car! Thanks I don't think there's a problem I was just curious....

Hi There.

I thought I was the only one on earth hearing sound come from the electric steering pump. My 2008 Mazda 3, 2010 Mazda 2 and now our 2012 Mazda 5, all have the same sounds coming from the power steering pump. According to Mazda South africa, that is just how they are made.

I learned to live with it.

Latest posts

Back