'11 & '12 CX-9 With Transmission "Sealed,": Checking Transmission Fluid Possibility?

mzd

:
Mazda CX-9 GT FWD 2012
'11 & '12 CX-9 With Transmission "Sealed,": Checking Transmission Fluid Possibility?

To '11 and '12 CX-9 owners who have "sealed transmission," can we restore the ability to check the fluid by installing this device back to the transmission? (check the site below) click to view full picture. It will cost approximately less than $100 for the parts.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/sh...ssembly=301344

Automatics are sealed for a reason. You don't need to check the fluid, the atf will last the life of the transmission. And changing the fluid can actually make problems arise. I'm 100% sure that will void any and all warranty

Automatics are sealed for a reason. You don't need to check the fluid, the atf will last the life of the transmission. And changing the fluid can actually make problems arise. I'm 100% sure that will void any and all warranty

Wish you the best of luck.

Thank you Protege... for the warning. You are very right about the warranty being voided, however, after 60K miles there won't be any more warranty to be concerned anymore, and I DO NOT believe the fluid inside the transmission will last for the life of the car (or for ever which ever comes first). I like very much being able to check my trans fluid once in a while and certainly will replace it myself or have Mazda do it while it is still under warranty every fricking 30K miles for sure!

I asked the master tech at my local Mazda dealership and he clearly said that you can replace it even though Mazda designed it the way they did. Personally, I would never go more than 60-70k miles without a tranny oil drain and fill at the very least. My 2004 Acura TL with its well know weak auto tranny lasted to 120k till when I traded it in. I did one tranny drain and fill, which only got rid of 1/3 of the fluid, at almost 70k miles. The fluid was still pinkish and didn't smell burnt. You may get lucky and go 100k without issues but cars nowadays easily make it to 150k and I hate to see the condition of the ATF at that point.

It would be strange if any services done at Mazda dealers could void Mazda warranty...
Modifying the transmission likely might void your warranty, however.

Last edited:
I'm a technician who likes to build transmissions on the side. Believe me fluid flushes are nothing but BS that sells good. Yes, they are avalible for sale anywhere and they recommend it everywhere. The truth of the matter is ATF does not wear like oil. At about 20,000 miles friction material from the clutches and bands becomes suspended in the fluid. When you replace the fluid, you lose that friction material and problems can start to arise. I know Volkswagen has sealed there transmission for years because of this. I mean think about it, would Mazda seal there transmissions if there wasn't a reason? I don't think so.

I wonder how one can explain about transmission fluid viability after a number of thousand miles when it becomes discolored, sometimes turning dark and smelling burned, to be continued in service. I change my MPV's fluid regularly and can tell that the used fluid is very different from the new one. By changing the fluid regularly, i.e. every 30K-45K miles, by way of drain and refill, I think the new fluid (about 3-4 quarts) adds more life to the remaining fluid while you still have plenty of "friction materials" in the system. I am not sure how the solenoids function when there is so much of the "friction materials" in the fluid. Even the synthetic fluid, if it is used, may last longer but it itself needs to be replaced at some point, don't you think? One thing I know for sure is that when the warranty expires at 5 years or 60,000 miles, you are on your own about the transmission problem if it happens, and having it fixed it is very expensive.

Now that we agree to disagree about warranty coverage,
I am more than happy to discuss more details about transmission with you.

A story seems proper here since we are on this:
I used to own a '98 BMW 540iA (E39) (similar case for E30 BMW 3-series).
I was on roadfly.com for a long time. E39 had the similar "life-time fluid sealed transmission" like Aisin's on CX9.
When some owners began to experience prematured transmission failures, others rushed to BMW dealers and asked
for fluid changes. BMW technicians laughed at them (incl. myself), saying the same you did. When the anger from
owners mounted, BMW changed their atitude on this and sent a notice to all dealers to let owners change fluid and
encourage inspection of fluid after some mileage. According to owners on roadfly.com, those who changed fluid
had much less failed transmissions (no scientific data here, just by survey of the site).
The consensus of E39 owners on roadfly.com was to change
fluid (drain and refill) every on 30/45/60/...K. I did that and mine had no issue before I sold it at 80K. My friend who
owned a E30 BMW 323 didn't believe me, and his transmission failed at 55K (remind you that the coverage
of BMW is 4yr/50K!) BMW refused to pay a dime for him. The cost was $5k for a refurbsihed one. Yes. BMW
means Break-My-Wallet.

Your comments are very welcome.

Last edited:
Has anyone added the dipstick to the "sealed" transmission? I am very interested in doing the same.

Has anyone seen the 2011 or 12 Workshop manual? Does it have a procedure for changing the transmission fluid? I am considering the purchase of the manual and would glad do so if I knew it did.

Back