Mazda Pedalbox

Why? I've never understood why people buy these. Either step on the pedal quicker yourself (performance) or don't step on it as much ("eco mode"). If I was in a spot to drop 300 on my 2, I'd be calling Corksport and getting something worth putting on the car. Just my thoughts. Give it a shot if you like it.

Why? I've never understood why people buy these. Either step on the pedal quicker yourself (performance) or don't step on it as much ("eco mode"). If I was in a spot to drop 300 on my 2, I'd be calling Corksport and getting something worth putting on the car. Just my thoughts. Give it a shot if you like it.

mazda2 has a terrible DBW. even my s*** 07 aveo5 had better.

but i still love my mazdurr. =] and i drive an auto.

this isn't helping throttle response

doesnt help anything on the car.

car: "i think ill stay in 4th gear...all the time. downshifting? lol whats that? oh your slowing down from 60 to 15 then back to 65? i think ill stay in fourth gear"

my friend thought my car was cvt cuz it wouldnt shift from 15-65 lol...

mazda2 has a terrible DBW

Really? I thought the Mazda system was pretty good, My 8th gen Civic was terrible. I think all DBW is terrible as a whole, but neede for all the nannies.

OP, yes they do " work". The controllers don't " improve" or " boost" the signal at all, they just narrow up the operating range of the DBW switch eliminating the dead spots. I've driven a few BMW's with the Sprint Booster and it " felt" a lot better. YMMV.

I recently got the sprint booster, it does work as stated, throttle response is improved considerably. Same effect as the one reached by an ecu reflash when it comes to throttle response. Of course thee reflash does more.

Andres

I recently got the sprint booster, it does work as stated, throttle response is improved considerably. Same effect as the one reached by an ecu reflash when it comes to throttle response. Of course thee reflash does more.

Andres

This is a pretty newbie question, but what does that mean? Can you explain the signs/symptoms of poor throttle response vs. considerably improved throttle response?

For instance, I've noticed that when slowing down to a near stop (just rolling), there is a moment when the gas pedal seems to not work - i.e. I have the car in 1st gear, press the gas, let off the clutch, and the car nearly stalls because the signal from the gas pedal seems to be cut off and nothing happens at the engine. I do not notice this when starting from a standstill. Is this the sort of thing that is addressed by the pedal box?

-Matt

These things are gimmicks. They don't "speed up" you throttle in any way. They're just simple amplifiers: http://www.peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf.

Basically, they amplify the signal to the throttle body from the pedal. Depending on the "level" 10% throttle could be 20% throttle body opening. Because you can't exceed 100% open it just means you'll max the throttle body earlier and the remaining pedal travel does nothing. Save your money; just push the pedal harder.

This is a pretty newbie question, but what does that mean? Can you explain the signs/symptoms of poor throttle response vs. considerably improved throttle response?

For instance, I've noticed that when slowing down to a near stop (just rolling), there is a moment when the gas pedal seems to not work - i.e. I have the car in 1st gear, press the gas, let off the clutch, and the car nearly stalls because the signal from the gas pedal seems to be cut off and nothing happens at the engine. I do not notice this when starting from a standstill. Is this the sort of thing that is addressed by the pedal box?

-Matt

Most cars these days have throttle by wire, our car is one of those. So some of these cars have a slow response to your acceleration, like a Turbo lag. This slower response can be modified either when you reflash or tune your ECU.

These things are gimmicks. They don't "speed up" you throttle in any way. They're just simple amplifiers: http://www.peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf.

Basically, they amplify the signal to the throttle body from the pedal. Depending on the "level" 10% throttle could be 20% throttle body opening. Because you can't exceed 100% open it just means you'll max the throttle body earlier and the remaining pedal travel does nothing. Save your money; just push the pedal harder.

I read and research for days before I bought it, many people thought as well as you, but other serious forums like Audi and Mini, gave it good reviews; in reality this does not increase the power of the car. Some do modify the throttle opening like you said. Others change the timing and speed of the throttle response. In my opinion is not a gimmick, it does what it says, I drove it , it gave me consistently almost a second in a 40 seconds autocross practice course. The response to the throttle is faster , the car accelerates sooner in consequence there is a gain when it comes to Autocross ( my issue is its legality).

Not trying to get into an argument I just think that is easy to give an opinion if you tried the product, that 's what I did, I loved it...

Andres

I read and research for days before I bought it, many people thought as well as you, but other serious forums like Audi and Mini, gave it good reviews; in reality this does not increase the power of the car. Some do modify the throttle opening like you said. Others change the timing and speed of the throttle response. In my opinion is not a gimmick, it does what it says, I drove it , it gave me consistently almost a second in a 40 seconds autocross practice course. The response to the throttle is faster , the car accelerates sooner in consequence there is a gain when it comes to Autocross ( my issue is its legality).

Not trying to get into an argument I just think that is easy to give an opinion if you tried the product, that 's what I did, I loved it...

Andres
I did my research as well as I can't stand the drive-by-wire system in the 2. I own or have owned four vehicles (two have been manual) that are drive-by-wire and the 2 is by far the most laggy. I then came across that article, which just happens to be written against the most popular version of this device out there, and the one you chose. Based on his observations and conclusions I determined it wasn't worth $300 for something I could build myself for 1/10 the price to do something I could achieve simply by applying more throttle input. I've no need to try the product because you can't argue with the science behind the device. I personally don't care about other peoples' "experiences" because of the placebo effect; that is, a sugar pill can cure cancer. Did you read the article I linked?

I've seen these devices myself. They're tiny and they plug in between the pedal and the ECU. Based on their size I can deduce they probably only contain an amplifier or two and given their location there is no way they can control anything other the signal strength. The ECU and/or the TB itself controls throttle opening/closing speed so as long as the signal from the ECU to the TB is unmodified there's no way that can be changed. Therefore, I can only conclude these devices just modify the signal to the ECU like any mass airflow or oxygen sensor clamp would when it comes to air/fuel tuning. I can only assume your faster "lap" times are due the slightly less amount of throttle input required.

An important item to note is if these are indeed simple amplifiers they will cause a "dead zone" in the throttle where an amount of input won't result in any change in throttle. Not a bad thing when you're just mashing on the accelerator pedal but it'll make modulating speed at near 100% throttle more difficult.

I really wish someone like GRM would do an article on these. However, seeing as I see ads for the Sprint Booster in GRM it's unlikely they're going to risk "debunking" this product any time soon.

Did you read the article I linked?

As I said I was posting my experience with the product with my Mazda 2 (we don't have to agree); it works good for Autox, again not sure if is legal for National Level.

As far as the article I did read it, pretty nice and detailed, the guy has an opinion and is backing it up with a nice data report and explanation. From a research point of view it lacks in validity because the amount of specimens used in the test (1).

He is using one car, the results of the the device might feel different when used to different cars. In my case with the 2 it was a good product when there was not another option for the car tuning wise. These days I found other options, posted in my STF project,so I might have no need for this device any longer.

Andres

Last edited:
Eager to hear your report on tuned by ECUnleashed. Did you send in ECU or take your car to one of the tuning centers? It looks like a lot of the tuning centers are motorcycle shops, and I was curious if they would be able to do a Mazda 2.

I'm curious how much the ECU controls the TB. Does it control opening/closing speed and delay or if that's all built into the TB actuator and the ECU just sends the signal. I know in the MS3's there were discussions regarding the TB plate not fully opening even with the pedal fully depressed. I wonder if the 2 is the same way. I'd seriously consider getting a "reflash" if some of these parameters can be adjusted.

Eager to hear your report on tuned by ECUnleashed. Did you send in ECU or take your car to one of the tuning centers? It looks like a lot of the tuning centers are motorcycle shops, and I was curious if they would be able to do a Mazda 2.

The car goes to the center , they hook your car to the OBDII port and download the reflash based on your personal profile. Yes they work more with Motorcycles but they do cars as well. They just have a great reputation...

Andres

Last edited:
Back