CX-5 or the Outlander Sport?

james_95

So Im in the market for a new vehicle and for my exact requirements Ive only found 2 vehicles that fit the billthe CX-5 and the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. A local dealer has the exact CX-5 build I want so I went and test drove it, loved it! I told the guy I couldnt do anything till I at least checked out the Outlander Sport (to give it a fair shot) although I had every intention of picking it apart. I went and test drove it and as much as I wanted to NOT like it, I really didnt think it was that bad. I like the CX-5 more and thats what I would choose if all things were equal but Im torn. With the Outlander Sport (RVR) I can save 2k-4k depending on the options and a much better warranty. How do I convince myself to spend the extra money for a vehicle that IMO, on 2 short test drives, is only slightly better?

Is there anyone else here that was considering the Outlander Sport but chose the CX-5, why?

Anyone have more time behind the wheel of both and can give there honest opinion?

For all you that are heavily bias towards the CX-5, help me convince myself to spend the extra money :)

Thanks,
James

I like the CX-5 more and that’s what I would choose if all things were equal but I’m torn.
I think you just answered your own question there that you like the cx5 more. If this is going to be a long term vehicle, I'd get one that I like the most. I would choose the cx5 because it looks better (imo), higher seating position, better fuel economy, better handling (more fun to drive), doesn't have a CVT transmission, better quality interior, and did I mention it doesn't have a CVT transmission? :)

Before buying my wifes kia sorento we had every intention of buying an outlander sport. We test drove one twice at 2 dealers. Price is right but interior space is much smaller and it was really slugish with 3 passengers and that cvt transmission. Also the outlanders sport will likely have many more things go wrong with it.

i test drove the Mitsu as well before, but the interior quality and fun to drive factor was severely lacking from the looks it suggest it might be

i was all gung ho for the outlander sport, i just test drove the cx5 to 'rule it out' but it didn't work that way, it rode better, handled better, and got noticebly better mileage...which was a shame because like you said could get it equally equipped for less money, and honestly, even though i like the way the cx5 looks, the outlander sport is totally badass looking....

but what killed it for me was that stupid non-opening sunroof (with its catpiss yellow leds.....) and the slightly more sluggish acceleration, and the lesser mpg over the exact same long mixed driving course i took them on

CX5 all the way. Better engine, better fuel economy, better interior space, better handling.
Only plus for the Outlander is that its been on the market longer so they dont have the new car gremlins like we do with our shaky driver side mirror or occasional seat upholstery clips that the dealers might have a fix for soon.

I used to own a Pajero (USDM version = Montero) and had nothing but problems with it, my parents each have newer Monteros as well. So in full disclosure, I am not a fan of Mitsubishi unless we're talking about an Evo and I intend to be at the performance shop getting repaired or tuned once a month :-s

No question, never seriously considered Outlander, did consider Escape 1.6L or 2.0L turbos. No CVT's in my garage.

but what killed it for me was that stupid non-opening sunroof (with its catpiss yellow leds.....) and the slightly more sluggish acceleration, and the lesser mpg over the exact same long mixed driving course i took them on

Wasn't aware of the non-opening sunroof, that would be deal-killer for me too. I eliminated the Evoque for same reason.

The sunroof doesn't open??? Yikes-I didn't know that. That would drive me crazy.

to the OP, USNews summed it up nicely with this statment regarding handling/driving: "Rather than being fast and agile, the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is underpowered, has sloppy handling and has a loud continuously variable transmission (CVT)."

In addition to what others have said (such as better gas mileage, etc), consider another factor: reliability. To me that is something that people often overlook carelessly. Although the CX-5 is very new and reliability can't yet be quanitfied, Mazda has an excellent reputation for reliability. The Outlander Sport, however, hasn't fared so well.

Test drive the Honda CR-V. The EX model is similarly equipped as the CX-5 Touring and the pricing is pretty close. I test drove both and liked both. Went with the CX-5 because I liked the bigger touch screen (CX-5 has the 6") and the CR-V is like 3.5" and no touch screen. It is however, a nice color screen that displays enormous amounts of info about the car and your media. MPG is within 1.

Honestly wish I had gone with the Honda. It seemed more spacious inside, and it has a heck of a lot more storage bins. Also came with a standard sunroof. Have to pay extra for that in the Mazda.

Also, it's a Honda, so reliability is top notch.

Test drive the Honda CR-V. The EX model is similarly equipped as the CX-5 Touring and the pricing is pretty close. I test drove both and liked both. Went with the CX-5 because I liked the bigger touch screen (CX-5 has the 6") and the CR-V is like 3.5" and no touch screen. It is however, a nice color screen that displays enormous amounts of info about the car and your media. MPG is within 1.

Honestly wish I had gone with the Honda. It seemed more spacious inside, and it has a heck of a lot more storage bins. Also came with a standard sunroof. Have to pay extra for that in the Mazda.

Also, it's a Honda, so reliability is top notch.

Why do you wish you went with the Honda? I can tell by your signature you are not happy with the CX-5.

Hondas are not necessarily more reliable. My 2001 Mazda Protege with 142K miles had zero repairs other than normal wear and tear such as fluids, tires, belts, hoses, brakes, etc. My 2006 Civic with 52K miles already had a busted sun visor, 2 recalls (water pump and wheel bearings), 2 dead batteries, a failed window regulator, a failed starter.

I believe the differences in reliability between most automakers are marginal. The small differences mostly depend on luck even if the owner keeps up on maintenance.

Why do you wish you went with the Honda? I can tell by your signature you are not happy with the CX-5.

A combination of a lot of things. Mostly a really really lousy buying experience at the dealer and still a lack of ownership or customer service or willingness to do anything to address my concerns. But also some issues and observations that cropped up and I noticed after a few weeks of driving. (things you don't notice in a 5 min test drive)

Experiencing the hood and mirror vibrations that others are reporting on the forum. Also experienced the driver and passenger bottom seat cushions coming apart that have also been talked about. The front dash trim around the start button is really thin plastic that flexes a lot when you push the button. I wish the door panel was made out of the same soft touch material as the dash (no armrest on that hard plastic.) The paint, while it looks great, is not durable at all. The car had several scratches from the dealer (it was a dealer transfer) that I did not notice until I got home the day of delivery and the dealer was unwilling to do anything about it. They blamed the other dealer and chalked it up to shipping and handling. The tires were overinflated (42psi which is something else members have reported) and there was still pieces of the plastic film over the wheels that are used to protect them during transport. Also, the windshield washer fluid was completely empty at delivery. It's like they didn't even complete the pre-delivery checklist on my car. When I asked for a copy of it to verify I was denied. Basically i've been treated like s*** at this dealer which has soured my opinion on Mazda and unfortunately the car as well.

I've had very good experiences with Honda over the last 5 years and now i'm wishing I had stuck with them.

Oh well, when I filled out the survey's from Mazda I voiced everything in that and when it asked what does "Zoom-Zoom" mean to you I wrote "regret."

Seriously? Tire pressue is one factor turning you off from Mazda? I think you expect too much, personally.

WOW I would say that you are nitpicking, except that I know the dealership makes all the difference in the world. That's why I bought mine from a Mazda dealership close to where my sister lives 200 miles away from me... they were just so darn nice to me when I bought her Mazda3, I came back and bought the CX5 for myself one week later.

WOW I would say that you are nitpicking, except that I know the dealership makes all the difference in the world. That's why I bought mine from a Mazda dealership close to where my sister lives 200 miles away from me... they were just so darn nice to me when I bought her Mazda3, I came back and bought the CX5 for myself one week later.

you're probably right...

that guy asked so I spoke.

just think the Mitsu guy should have fun and test drive lots of stuff.

i did. it was fun driving everything.

Yes, a poor dealer experience can sour viewpoint. Around here I would not tolerate it, given 2 or 3 Mazda dealerships are nearby, not including the one that I bought from being 30 miles away. Suggest a switch to another dealership, fast.

I actually want to test drive the 13 Escape with the 1.6 turbo. Although most reviewers are still picking the cx-5 over the 13 Escapes. Curious to see how the turbo drives.

I actually want to test drive the 13 Escape with the 1.6 turbo. Although most reviewers are still picking the cx-5 over the 13 Escapes. Curious to see how the turbo drives.

It would be cheaper to just switch (Mazda) dealers.

I will drive the 2013 Escapes later this summer, the 1.6L and 2.0L turbos are very interesting. Both should be quicker than CX-5 but neither will match fuel efficiency of CX-5. Not sure of 1st year quality with these, based on Ford's well-documented record with the all new 2011 Ford Explorer.

Back