CX-5 Clear Bra anyone?

So you don't have to wax it? Looks like it held up really good.

I wax wraps just like paint.

Paid $1300 for mine, using 3M film done in NW AR.

My last CX5 had rust spots all over it until I touched them up periodically, and my Jeep before that actually had to have $300 in body/paint work done to the leading edge of the roof where it had sustained a rock hit that had rusted and been neglected.

If you can find a place that does it for a descent price. Its worth it, as I hate dealing with chips. Sure you can probably have the front end repainted but then you would have to worry about color matching/ over spray, down time on the car. Not to mention it does protect against bird droppings too. Haha

So you don't have to wax it? Looks like it held up really good.

They say certain wax's will yellow it. Keep in mind on white car's yellowing will show more. That said years of use Meguiars car wash (yellow product) which has wax in it, Collinite 845 wax, and Optimum Wash and Wax have been used. It's pretty clear and this is old tech film. The new film available in 2019 is so much better.

Yeah I am going to leave mine naked. $2,000 will fix a lot of paint chips.

Wow that's steep. At least do the headlights/foglights. You can't repaint it. See the hood on my Mazda6 avatar? Covered half of that hood, headlights, and fenders myself using 60$ worth of bulk 3m film (their latstest version) via Ebay. Paid a pro shop $250 (parts/labor) to do the entire front bumper since it was too hard for me. The white CX-5, purchased the pre-cut kit for entire front bumper, partial hood, mirrors, headlights/fogs, black plastic trim, door edges. fenders for a couple hundred and did myself.

I notice film quality is getting better yet cheaper in price. I would shop around for labor.

Last edited:
New to Mazda and this forum. Picking up 2019 CX-5 next week. From reading various issues with paint thinness, chips, etc, have investigated PPF (Expel 10 yr warranty)). Not a lot of choices in my area. Cost to do high impact areas (full bumper, full hood, mirrors,lights, hatch sill plate, door cups, A pillars and front of roof) will be approx $2400. Does this sound reasonable?

This PPF installer does the local Porsche dealership (cars are shipped to him directly). Installer said all car manufacturers paints are not as chip resistant as in the past. EPA doesn*t allow paint to contain certain additives that made it strong.

Since I*m planning to cheap this vehicle minimally 4 year - hopefully closer to 6 or 7, I*m leaning towards taking the car when I pickup directly to the PPF shop.

Would appreciate other thoughts, caveats, suggestions. Oh x and this installer said do not wax the PPF. You synthetic spray cleaner.

Thanks - this forum and members have been extrembly helpful.

New to Mazda and this forum. Picking up 2019 CX-5 next week. From reading various issues with paint thinness, chips, etc, have investigated PPF (Expel 10 yr warranty)). Not a lot of choices in my area. Cost to do high impact areas (full bumper, full hood, mirrors,lights, hatch sill plate, door cups, A pillars and front of roof) will be approx $2400. Does this sound reasonable?

This PPF installer does the local Porsche dealership (cars are shipped to him directly). Installer said all car manufacturers paints are not as chip resistant as in the past. EPA doesn*t allow paint to contain certain additives that made it strong.

Since I*m planning to cheap this vehicle minimally 4 year - hopefully closer to 6 or 7, I*m leaning towards taking the car when I pickup directly to the PPF shop.

Would appreciate other thoughts, caveats, suggestions. Oh x and this installer said do not wax the PPF. You synthetic spray cleaner.

Thanks - this forum and members have been extrembly helpful.

Check for pricing on full bumper and full hood. Those are the highest impact areas.

Picked up car today from Xpel. Full nose (hood, fenders, numbers, lights) and I added A-pillars, 24* of roof, door sills, door edges and rear bumper bumper ledge for hatch. Pricey, but hopefully worth it. Reading this forum decided Xpel better than a ceramic coating. Xpel stated NO paste wax on PPF. He told me to use a spray synthetic wax at least 2x a year after using Xpel cleaner. Actually spray wax should be sufficient for non Xpel areas as well. He recommended don*t use leather products, but simply wipe down often ( as another posted said in a different thread). If there is a spot on leather, try a little Windex.

They did an awesome job with PPF. Car is in my garage for 48 hours to let it cure. Of course when I picked it up! It was raining.

In Minneapolis suburbs cost is $700 to cover one third of hood, mirrors, who front bumper and all edges of the doors. Using 3M Xpel. I've done just the hood and mirrors for $300 in the past on all our cars. Works great.

Back