CX-5 Clear Bra anyone?

Hi, I do not have a problem helping out at all. Just let me know when you purchase the film. I got mine off ebay, not sure if there's another one up there haven't searched it for a while.

I'm going to Monster Coatings over in Lodi Saturday to get this done. Gettin' the "bikini" which consists of hood, fender fronts, front painted portions of bumper nose, lights and mirror backs. He's gonna set up the rear bumper and all sills too. I've narrowed the search to this guy Laszlo who owns Monster Coatings based on previous searching regarding this profession. I almost went thru with this on my prior Golf TDI but ran out of cash from buying too many other accessories first. By then I had some chips in my hood and lost heart in going forward with it. NOT THIS TIME!

Funny thing is when I called him he knew just who I was a year and a half later. Gonna buy him lunch and see if I can help at all. Maybe I'll learn a little about doing this. We'll see. I'll post on how I feel this all goes. Some of the cars he's done are the ones we can only dream of. Well, he actually does work on the high end cars.

I'll be back with results -

Last edited:
Wow I can't even tell you've got film based on these pics. That includes the close up pics too. Plus nobody's going to squat down and stare 5 inches away from your foglight so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Again good job.

Fog lights- If precut will be a peice of cake for you.

Headlights- keep it wet/sprayed down when you squeege plus if your squeege is hard plastic consider wrapping your squeegee with a moist towel to avoid scratching. I started on the end closest to the grill first. Once I was satisfied with placement I gradually moved on to the section near the fender. You have to do a combo of stretching and gentle heat to get it to wrap around that rectangle section that sticks out. If you mess up don't sweat it just remove and start over. If you see bubbles DO NOT WORRY lol. Its normal. The cloudiness and bubbles dissipate in about 2 weeks. I've done a headlights on 4 cars. Its normal. Good luck and great job so far.

The precut leaves a small area unprotected around the fold by the fog light area because it wont stick down properly due to the angles on the bumper, so don't feel too bad gio26nj cause 3M know that area is too tough to do as a single piece!

Last edited:
Can someone who has put on the pre-cut film tell me if the hood film folds under the leading edge? Seems like it would need to in order to prevent chips.

Can someone who has put on the pre-cut film tell me if the hood film folds under the leading edge? Seems like it would need to in order to prevent chips.

They didn't use precut for the full hood on mine, i'll check when dry and light. It's not the easiest thing to see! (in a good way that is!)

dad, on yours with a full hood and a pro install they wrapped it. I am starting to think that the precut may come up a little short and the sellers are not answering the question. Thanks for the reply.

jtl, I can tell you that when I did the install I didn't mess around and stretch the film to put it under the leading edge. I got close to it as possible but that's about it. A professional could probably do it easily but I'm no pro. It did come out really clean though.

Gio, I was hoping that you would chime in. I think the pre-cut are not designed to be wrapped. I suppose if you get close and still get a little chip on the leading edge it is an easy fix. I am still thinking about just doing the front bumper and the rear bumper deck. I think the hood edge protector may be enough for the hood.

Gio, I was hoping that you would chime in. I think the pre-cut are not designed to be wrapped. I suppose if you get close and still get a little chip on the leading edge it is an easy fix. I am still thinking about just doing the front bumper and the rear bumper deck. I think the hood edge protector may be enough for the hood.

have posted pics on other thread, a chip on a gap not coverered with the pre-cut on the plastic fender won't rust. On the hood it might that's why I think it's more important that the hood is fully covered.

have posted pics on other thread, a chip on a gap not coverered with the pre-cut on the plastic fender won't rust. On the hood it might that's why I think it's more important that the hood is fully covered.

I agree. Why go through the time and expense if it doesn't cover the leading edge. I contacted one of the suppliers and they said to put the film on, get it positioned and leave a 1/8" gap between the film and the leading edge of the hood. They then said the film will stretch down and cover the gap. Who knows, not me.

Last edited:
I ended up getting the roof wrapped in black carbonFiber-patterned vynl, doesnt look too bad with my black CX5. I'll post a pic soon enough, hopefully I wont be flamed too much on this forum for doing it.

7 months later I finally remember to post up a picture of this (hand)

20120802191007958.jpg

I had it done for a good price... around seven. I got the front of the hood, front of the fenders, entire front bumper, black painted piece between hood and grill, and both mirrors along with the back bumper section instead of the bumper protector you see around.
This guy has what looks like a plotter for large format printing that punched out the pieces. He gave me leftovers to to the inned portions myself rather than the typical more glitzy ones sold. I stood and watched the entire process. It took him about 5 solid hours.
Protect it with the 3M wax too. Helps keep the stuff young.
His name is Lazlo, owner of Monster Coatings over near Lodi N.J. After watching this, I would not try such a contoured bumper like the CX-5 has. WAY too much involved. He wrapped the hood and it looks great. If I didn't work so much I'd have posted pics of the job he did. I still may in the near future.
Great stuff -

Can anyone comment about if it's a good idea to let the dealership install the clear bra ("Clear film front paint protection") at $595 MSRP / $476 invoice?
Don't they install the same 3M product anyway?

Find out what areas they're covering and more importantly what film they're using not all use 3M, there's lots of cheap film out there. The installation price is comparable to what other shops charge for quality fim.

My clear bra arrived this weekend and I've installed the hood, mirrors and handle part. Going to try to put on the bumper and lights etc today when I get home from work. My bumper has a license plate, so I might have to take off the plate first or cut the film. Does anyone know if clear bra will have longterm effects on the paint? i.e. causing the paint to look different because that section was covered while the rest of the car oxidize or something (I do plan on taking good care of the car and frequently wash/wax it)? And do I just wax around the film in the future?

My films are not 3M, but some other brand that came with more pieces and was a lot cheaper. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) I hope that doesn't come back to bite me later. Getting the films to fit the contort of the car was a bit hard, but what I installed so far looks decent. It's hard to tell that it's there unless you get really close and look for it. Will post pics when I'm done with the whole set.

My dealer does not know what is this Front clear film protection, which is mentioned in the online configurator.
After some research on their part, their service department found this # 0000-8w-r02 (google it). Looks like this is a very comprehensive and expensive package. They said it is a 3M product and it's installed elsewhere.
I'll get a clear-bra installed by someone else.

8 Month update for paint protection film:

Protected sections like the front bumper and headlights- no chips woohoo!! All air bubbles are basically gone at this point. Film is still clear and not yellow. That said Im going to stop using detailer spray on them and use water instead from here on out. Easy to clean bug guts and tree sap with microfiber towels. If the edges are dirty I just ensure the surface is wet and slowly wipe with the edge to remove the dirt then its invisible again. The mirror kit fitment sucked so I took it off. Didnt cover whole mirror and was the only kit that stood out. Everything else is looking- or should I say not looking like its there :).

Refer to Post #40 for my pics on a white CX-5. Clearmask AR (aerogard) http://www.clearmask.com/about_our_kits.php used for front bumper, hood, mirros, headlights, foglights, fenders, door guards. Venture Shield bulk film (via ebay) was used for the lower rear hatch and the handle? above the license plate and below the logo and the lower 6 inches of the rear hatch itself.

Refer to post 49 for pics of VentureShield
on gio26NJs black CX-5. Hes done a fantastic job with his application imo. Keep in mind we both went the DIY route and saved a ton of cash.

Some jackass in a parking lot must have come too close to our CX-5, noticed the other day that the passenger mirror was all scuffed with white paint from the vehicle that scraped against it. Thank goodness for that Ventureshield, took the hairdryer out removed the film nice and cleanly and 0 damage to the paint underneath and mirror is saved! was very happy about that.

This is the first major test the film has gone through, there's many little rock residue around the bumper and front of the hood that I simply wiped off the film since installing. Definitely worth getting any sort of film.

Back