35.9 MPG over 567 miles!

PhoenixINX

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
DougNuts called me out back in April, and I decided to make our trip down to Charleston a way to answer back! :D

South Nashville to Isle of Palms, SC - Google Maps Route

Speed Limit +5 mph over the whole way! This included a few stops for food and breaks, in addition a single refuel.

224954_4261937990962_158305369_n.jpg

Ready to get home, I was far more of a lead foot today, further proving the CX-5 has no gusto when trying to climb the Blue Ridge mountains. That said, even running the speed limit +10 to 15 over I pulled a 34.1 MPG out of the entire stint.

This thing is such a BLAST to drive, and far more fun in the mountains than the 3i.

One concern has exposed itself, in that it has a VERY hard and abrupt downshift to third under load. Using either cruise control or not when going up a hill and under load, the shift is uncomfortably hard. Shifting into manual eliminated the harshness. I'm going to watch this and might bring it into the dealer if it pops up again.

Two highlights of the trip - Two gawkers, one in a new body style Santa Fe and another in a new CR-V. Priceless. :)

Great report, thanks. I haven't had a tank over 30 mpg, but I have not done a road trip yet (or I have not done a tank with more than 50% freeway miles).

Love the Blue Ridge Mountains- so did you take it through the Dragon? Is that where the CX5 shines?
I would love to test drive there...

Just got back from a DC-to-Tennessee road trip, myself. On the first tank, from Cookeville up 81, we managed 36.7mpg calculated at the pump (351 miles on 9.6 gallons) sticking to the posted speed limits (generally 70). The second leg of the trip has a lot more uphill, so it's looking closer to 31-32mpg.

Pretty amazing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that "Avg MPG" the average for the lifetime of the car rather than per trip? It doesn't reset when you reset the trip odometer does it?
That said, I think you're still riding the wave of your initial hypermiling/break-in period as your average has dropped from 41.9mpg avg @ 1126 miles versus 35.9mpg avg @4206

I still think the most accurate way to calculate your MPG on a tankfull is the manual calculation of miles driven over the amount of fuel used, which adds to my confusion because your fuelly account doesnt match the odometer pics @_@

I've been manually calculating gas mileage for first 4000 miles in a spreadsheet and comparing it to average on dash (I have not reset the average per instructions in manual). So far I find the dash average to be 3% optomistic.

I've been manually calculating gas mileage for first 4000 miles in a spreadsheet and comparing it to average on dash (I have not reset the average per instructions in manual). So far I find the dash average to be 3% optomistic.
Oh so you CAN reset the dash AVG! I guess I better go RTM haha.
I'm going to sign up for one of those Fuelly accounts; much better than the collection of receipts in my driver's side door pocket.

Oh so you CAN reset the dash AVG! I guess I better go RTM haha.
I'm going to sign up for one of those Fuelly accounts; much better than the collection of receipts in my driver's side door pocket.

Yes, you can reset the general average. :)

Typically anytime I go out for a drive I'll reset it to see what I can pull off.

Back