Help with new wheel/tire/TPMS

whyandrew

We need to get new tires on our Mazda5. While at it, I'm gona get new wheels too, and save the OEM alloys for winter tires. I'm really new to these stuffs so some help/confirmation from you guys will be appreciated :)

From what I gathered here, the OEM wheels are 17x6.5" 5x114 with 52.5offset, yeah?

I'm deciding on these wheels, Drag DR-34, should be listed as 17 x 7.5" bolts 5x100/114, offset 45mm
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...2009&pc=22823&ar=50&wd=17&rw=7.5&rd=17&cs=215

And for tires, I'm going with 215/50R17 as many have done here.

Are that setup ok? It's nothing drastic, and it's selected from DiscountTire.com under Mazda5, so it should be ok. But just want to make sure they won't stick out or rub the well :)

Then the TPMS stuffs.... DiscountTire has a FREE option for pre-installing/balancing the tire/wheel using standard (non-TPMS) stems. But pre-installing/balancing with TPMS is $240/4. Don't have a TPMS equipped car before. How much does the usual tire/wheel install/balance cost in shops for TPMS tire/wheel?

I'm planning ordering from DiscountTire and gona find a shop in Buffalo and have the stuffs shipped there. Then I'll get them installed when I drive down to Buffalo (from Toronto). You guys think the shop will be not too happy if I order the tire/wheel pre-installed and the shop only get to charge me for bolting the wheels on? :)

Thanks in advance!

Anyone? :) I guess to sum it up, I just need to make sure those wheel/tire can go on the Mazda5 without having to change/modify the suspension, spacer, nor whatever, and that they won't stick out or rub.

Offset differs by 7.5mm (or .295”) + half of the width increase of 1”, you net .795” outward compared to what you have now. I think this should clear but go measure it. If the site says you are ok, then I would assume so too. Worst case it would be their fault for misleading you. You should also ask what is bore on the rim (factory bore is 67.1mm) and if you need (or better yet come with) bore rings to keep the rim hub centric vs. lug centric, which could lead to vibrations and other ghostly symptoms of poor ride quality.

There shouldn’t be any additional charge for mounting a plan valve stem or a TPMS sensor valve stem –at least not in the shops I’ve been too. You have to provide your own hardware. From memory, TPMS sensors are ~$40-$50 each. If you are buying the whole package (rims and tires) from DiscountTire, just get the TPMS pre-mounted as well. Most local shops and multi-purpose big chains are terrible at mounting/balancing rims and may leave a scratch unlike a dedicated tire shop, like Discount Tire/Tire Rack –they have better equipment too. Oh, they’ll take whatever job you give them so don’t feel a bit of pain for them. Just have it all done and shipped to your door for instant gratification 

The Drag rims look nice. Reminds me of ADR M Sports, which was one of my favorite ‘style’ rims back in the days. I dislike rims that have dual bolt patterns. It is a dead giveaway they are poor quality and just plan looks bad –but this is just IMHO.

Thanks for the numbers.

From what I read, Discount Tire direct includes a set of hub centric rings for wheel/tires package purchase, so I should be good there.

As for the $240 TPMS tire mount fee from DiscountTire, after some discussion from someone else, that fee should includes the actual sensors(x4), since I'm getting wheels+tires. So $60/ isnt too bad... would be better for their own good if DiscountTire actually be a bit more details about that tho, as they didn't mention about the sensors were included.
Anyway I opted to not bother with the TPMS at all... black tape on TPMS warning light it goes.

The Drag rims look nice. Reminds me of ADR M Sports, which was one of my favorite ‘style’ rims back in the days. I dislike rims that have dual bolt patterns. It is a dead giveaway they are poor quality and just plan looks bad –but this is just IMHO.
Yeah, would be better without the dual bolt patterns, but we're only trying these lower ends wheels so...
And believe it or not... neither the gold color theme nor getting custom rims was my idea at all lol. Wife, out of nowhere, said she wants shiny gold wheels, and is willing to pay for part of them too. I showed her Discounttire website and she picked that particular one..... ok sure why not :D

You can resell your old TPMS for some cash, or transfer them to the new wheels if you want. I had my TPMS moved from one set of wheels to another at NTB, and they only charged me $50 to do it... way cheaper than $240 to buy an entire set and install.

+45 offset, especially with that wheel width, will probably "poke" a bit past the front fender. Go look inside the wheel fitment thread for some examples.

Thanks for the numbers.

From what I read, Discount Tire direct includes a set of hub centric rings for wheel/tires package purchase, so I should be good there.

I ordered mine from Discount Tire Direct as well. The hub centric rings they supply are made by Vision and are black anodized aluminum.

I also paid for the valve stems ($12/set), but they don't look like the ones in the hi-res wheel picture. My invoice shows they are supposed to have a chrome sleeve, but they were black rubber with a black plastic valve cap.

I didn't even notice the chrome sleeve in the pic/invoice. Just check my invoice, yeah it does say chrome too.... finger crossed hoping I do get chrome!

The wheels are already shipped out.... should get them install in Niagara/Buffalo next weekend hopefully, exciting!. Gold rims on black car, hopefully not too showoff... and this' supposed to be our baby gal's official ride lol. What was my wife thinking? :) Well at least she didn't ask for hotpink...

Nice wheels there too Turbohatch!

So I have the new set of wheels on for ~2weeks, about 450km. Guess how many times the TPMS light been on?

NONE.

Either I got lucky and DiscountTire put in the TPMS sensors for free, or the TPMS on my Mazda5 is short.... or the TPMS will blink like a Christmas tree tomorrow after I posted this....

Lightly wiggle your valve stems- if they're stiff and don't bend (don't try too hard!) they installed your TPMS into your wheels.

There was no TPMS on the invoice tho, so I kinda doubt the tech would install the TPMS by mistake without part# etc. I'd guess the tech just follow whatever were on the invoice to install the tire. In fact the rep forgot to have the hub-centering rings listed in my invoice and my wheels were shipped without them, and I had to get them re-sent to me.

The hub centric rings they supply are made by Vision and are black anodized aluminum..
I just got some cheap plastic "Gorilla" hub rings (protest)

Last edited:
While having the new wheel/tire re-balanced, I can confirm 100% there is NO TPMS sensor in my new wheel/tires!

Still haven't seen the TPMS warning light once after ~800-900km with the new wheels/tires.... so kinda safe to conclude the TPMS system in my Mazda5 is either useless or broken.

Rare that something in the car being broken is a good thing.... but I'll take it this time. Now if I can just fix my imbalance issue ....(yawn)

Back