19" Wheels and Tyres

Thoroughly engineered?

So why the diesel rising oil levels. Although i suppose it could be argued that the new dipstick is thoroughly engineered now?

Why the vibrating wing mirror and bonnet issue.

The one and only reason 19" wheels are fitted is for appearance, they look good if not being practical, especially for lunar crated UK roads.

Honda CRV has 18" wheels, so are you saying that Honda engineers have got it wrong.

Also being able to buy a new car has absolutely no relevance to owners running costs requirements.

What attracts me to a CX5 isn't the bling wheels, the 17" on the base model would be my choice.
Its the low emissions, the low road tax (VED), and the acceptable ride and handling.

But fitting a SUV with 55 profile tyres isn't a requirement, nor the best choice in the UK.

By the way i can afford to buy a 250K car if i wanted one. But i have better things to spend such amounts on.

My last comment on this topic, don't forget tyre availability is different through out the world.

I agree that the only reason the 19" wheels are available is for appearance.

Agree, main reason for 19's is appearance. They were thorougly engineered by Mazda to work well w/Skyactiv chassis.

I don't know if 3 tire choices is what I'd consider to be a lot. Hopefully they will have more later when tire replacements are needed.

The only thing I don't like about my CX5 is on too many of the roads around here it will beat you up pretty good with transmitting a bit too much road feel through. I love the handling but it does get a bit too jarring on some of the roads. I think in those situations a smaller wheel and a smoother tire would help. In an 18" wheel size I can get my favorite Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. So when the time comes for new tires it might be tempting to size down to 18's if they haven't expanded the 19" choices since I'd also like darker wheels.

I would have thought there was only one tyre choice on a low mileage car, and that's the OE tyre.

Otherwise you would be advised to change both tyres on the axle, or possibly all four.
I don't like mixing makes regardless.

We are talking about when it comes time to replace all the tires. Initially there were only 2 choices and the OE tires have actually come down some in price, I think they were near $400 a tire at the start.

A much better situation than when our P5 took a nail that went out the sidewall and only 1 tire shop in 150 miles had 1 tire for it (because someone had ordered it and never picked it up) and it was nearly $200 on an 'economy' car.

I don't know if 3 tire choices is what I'd consider to be a lot. Hopefully they will have more later when tire replacements are needed.

The only thing I don't like about my CX5 is on too many of the roads around here it will beat you up pretty good with transmitting a bit too much road feel through. I love the handling but it does get a bit too jarring on some of the roads. I think in those situations a smaller wheel and a smoother tire would help. In an 18" wheel size I can get my favorite Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. So when the time comes for new tires it might be tempting to size down to 18's if they haven't expanded the 19" choices since I'd also like darker wheels.

What size tire would you use with 18" wheels? 225/60R18?

I now have a spare 19" rim 200 from dealer and the tyre from tyretrader 139.12 delivered fitted at local tyre fitter for 10.00 you can find tyretrader on the web Gunk consigned to the bin. 255/55/19 tyres are hard to get as only 2 people make them Toyo and Yokohoma or somthing like that. If I needed a spare while on holiday in France it would take days to get one shipped in
Note it does not fit in the footwell of the boot about 2" higher than the boot floor but there is a fixing point with M8 thread I turned up a plug for the wheel centre and fitted M8 bolt to hold in place next job is to make a new boot floor
Yes dragging extra weight does push up the mpg but a wheel and tyre is still lighter than carrying a passenger and we have not thrown them out yet!
cheers MikeT

I now have a spare 19" rim 200 from dealer and the tyre from tyretrader 139.12 delivered fitted at local tyre fitter for 10.00 you can find tyretrader on the web Gunk consigned to the bin. 255/55/19 tyres are hard to get as only 2 people make them Toyo and Yokohoma or somthing like that. If I needed a spare while on holiday in France it would take days to get one shipped in
Note it does not fit in the footwell of the boot about 2" higher than the boot floor but there is a fixing point with M8 thread I turned up a plug for the wheel centre and fitted M8 bolt to hold in place next job is to make a new boot floor
Yes dragging extra weight does push up the mpg but a wheel and tyre is still lighter than carrying a passenger and we have not thrown them out yet!
cheers MikeT

Are you towing a caravan? Can't you put the spare in there?

Hey, since you looked at the 235's, do you know shich is closest? The 50 or the 55 to original. Since CX-5 comes with 225-55 19, I too was wondering the best solution to this. I'd like a better answer if you know, as I'd assume the 55 would be the choice. I don't know which differences there would be deciding on either 235-50-19 or 235-55-19. Can you help out a little more?

Thanx

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Check out this link. I have been considering 18x8's 235/60/18. With 18x8's I could go with the 225's but I like the idea of having a little more rubber to protect the edges of my new rims from curb rash. 235/60's will make my speedo read 60mph when my car is actually going 60.7 mph.

these pictures are from Mazda Hockenheim Experience tour , so you're pretty safe with 235/55/R19 :) (mounted on original wheels)

Cheers,
Miki

I replaced the original tires to this type (Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season 235/55/R19).
My engine is 2.0L Gas (car made in 2012), the acceleration gets worse, and the steering wheel control becomes heavier, anyway this tire is much comfortable than the original, it's softer.

If you have the 2.5L Gas or 2.2L Diesel, i think replacing this tire will get better.

Back