Seat covers/changing interior color?

nyctravis

:
2013 CX-5 Touring AWD w/ Bose/Moonroof pkg
I wanted a sand interior but was unable to get it and am now about to get the black interior. I have a yellow lab that sheds heavily and the black will show her fur like crazy, so I'm wondering what my options might be for changing as much of the interior seats as possible. Any thoughts? Never done this before so a bit lost...

not worth the effort in my opinion. if its such a issue i suggest getting a different color or locating another dealer that has your color combo. the last thing u want to do is start swapping out interior esp on a new car.

NYCTravis, you would have had the same problem, the sand interior has black carpeting and the whole back cargo area is all black (carpet on bottom and back of seats). You could just get a dog blanket and spread that out or one of the cargo mats.

Last edited:
not worth the effort in my opinion.

It's been a huge drama and I just don't have the energy anymore. It's a long story on another thread, but the current dealer already has my money for the full purchase price so I can't just go elsewhere. I actually don't mind the black interior, I'm just trying to figure out my options to minimize the dog hair showing. :)

NYCTravis, the sand interior has black carpeting and the whole back cargo area is all black (carpet on bottom and back of seats). You could just get a dog blanket and spread that out or one of the cargo mats.

Hmmm, I didn't realize that the sand interior wasn't all sand! Now I feel better. :)
Aren't there good custom car seat cover makers that I might be able to just get good form-fitting seat covers for? Do you think that might be an option?

There are definitely some companies that make covers that look like a stock thing. They're quite pricey, though, and none of them have anything for our CX-5s yet since it's still pretty new

When I ordered my car, a Black touring with black cloth, my wife and I decided to have leather added by the dealer. They installed katzkin light graphite leather for 1200. The installation included all the seat, head rests, and the door panels. It turned out really well without being as dark as the factory black leather. Katzkin makes a ton of colors that you can select and really I thought the price was pretty reasonable.

When I ordered my car, a Black touring with black cloth, my wife and I decided to have leather added by the dealer.

Wow-I didn't even know that could be done. Do you have pics or could you post some? That's a really interesting idea. Are you happy with how it came out?

there are 2 big national places that I know of that do the add-on leather for dealers. Classic Soft Trim and Katzkin (i think that's how it's spelled) I had the Classic Soft trim stuff put in our P5 after we had it for about 5 years. Carmax uses the Katzkin stuff so you may be able to see what it looks like at one of their places. The classic soft trim held up pretty well, we were overall happy.

If looking to upgrade your interior to leather, you might also consider leatherseats.com, the source for my last leather seat upgrade. If there is an advantage, it is that doing your own install does not void the warranty, and they sell you the rings and tools needed to do the job at home. I went this rout in the spring of 2010 when I replaced the leather in my 2001 Miata. The quality was better than OEM, and instructions were good, and they were able thru email to supply a solution to a problem I was having.

Just another option.

Brian

Does anyone know what happen when the front seat side airbag deploy with the aftermarket leather seat cover on?

When I ordered my car, a Black touring with black cloth, my wife and I decided to have leather added by the dealer. They installed katzkin light graphite leather for 1200. The installation included all the seat, head rests, and the door panels. It turned out really well without being as dark as the factory black leather. Katzkin makes a ton of colors that you can select and really I thought the price was pretty reasonable.

Do you have any pictures to share? We're dropping our CX5 off at the dealer tomorrow to have the same thing done. We picked black with light gray inserts for a bit of contrast.

I don't have any pictures at the moment but I will take some tonight. Regarding the airbags, they should work just fine with aftermarket leather kits at least so far as Katzkin is concerned. From what I understand they are the OEM leather supplier for a few companies and their kits have to be certified to not cause problems with side airbags.

Katzkin package and custom floor/cargo cover mats would be very nice. Black carpet can be a pain to clean, so covering as much of it as possible is a good idea. If you don't want to spend for a full leather package, I would say at least cover the carpet in the back and use a cover for the rear seats.

Here are some quick pictures of the front seats with the Katzkin leather and the door panels. I think the color was graphite.

Attachments

• IMG_20120626_073431.jpg
    IMG_20120626_073431.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20120626_073452.jpg
    IMG_20120626_073452.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 246
Back