How's the brakes for CX-5?

Very good is what I've observed in first 4000 miles (Porsche brakes considered by me as excellent for comparison).

Motor Trend tested braking 60-0, 117 feet reported.

Last edited:
I'd say very good as well. Smooth and solid.

Compared to our old Protege5 which had Hawk HPS pads and Stainless steel braided brake hoses the CX5 does many times better in the stopping department.

The pads remind me of the Porterfield ones I ran on my truck, they grab well at the start but as you continue to stop and they heat up the friction seems to even improve. But they have about 10% of the dust the porterfields had.

I'm with ta240^^^
My Matrix with Stoptech discs at all 4 corners, Greenstuff pads and SS brake lines did not stop as smoothly as the CX5 does; although stopping distance is similar (but for a vehicle which is 400lbs heavier thats phenomenal).

My Traction control system(TCS)/Dynamic Stability Contraol(DSC) light come on when i was on the free way this morning i got off and stopped the car to read the manual. Says take to dealer there might be a problem. Istop was flashing yellow as well. When i started the car again everything was fine...
I will see how it goes on way home from work. My first 1000 inspection will happen around next week. Should i just mention it to them then?
Or should i be more worried.....

Any ideas what i should do or have anyone had this happen.
Hope its nothing to bad!
I just google it and think it happend to mazda 3's and was a known issue
thanks Guys, love the car

The brakes are really good. For me not much pressure is needed for the most part. The brake assist feature might play a part in that.
My P5 brakes were good, but compared to my CX5, no contest.

Back