CX-9 OEM Trailer Hitch, wiring?

:
2012 CX-9 GT AWD Black/Black
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new CX-9 and I'm trying to figure out the trailering options. I have two questions that I can't seem to find answers to. First, from everything I've found, the OEM receiver hitch for the CX-9 has a 1.25" (class II) opening. The sales guy insists that you can get either the 1.25 or the 2.0 (I need the 2.0). Does anyone know if the OEM receiver/hitch is available in 2 inch? If it's only 1.25 I'll just get an aftermarket hitch from the good folks at etrailer.

Second, I have a small boat and the trailer has brakes that requires the use of a flat 5-wire connector. The extra wire disengages the brake so you can back it up. The vehicle I have now has a generic round 7-wire (I think) connector and I use an adapter to get the 5 flat. Has anyone done this on the CX-9?

Thanks for your help!!

OE hitch is only 1 1/4". There is no 2" alternative.
Your sales guy was doing what he did best, being not well-informed. (sorry, can't resist)
Aftermarket 2" hitch is 50% cheaper (see etrailer.com or eBay), but it sits lower by
a couple inches below the bumper. See my avatar.

I will let others answer the rest of questions.

Thanks Ceric, that's what I thought. Would be nice to have it tucked up under the bumper but that's not going to happen. On the bright side the bumper won't be hacked...

No apologies about the sales guys. They don't sell that many different models, they should know what they're talking about!!

I replaced factory 1.25 hitch with aftermarket 2" (Bought on Line), wife was not to pleased with gap between original bumper cut out and new lower hitch. I had replacement hitch modified including strengthening (Additional Gussets) at local Welding Shop specializing in Motorhome, Travel trailer, hitch builds and modifications here in Houston. 2" Hidden Hitch now sits flush with bumper cutout and clears spare tire. Since I just joined forum, I'll need some time to figure out how to post photos. Hitch does maintain all factory bolt attachments. Since I tow a 3500lb 18foot Hybrid travel trailer on a somewhat regular basis, I have been diligent about checking hitch and have had shop do a follow up weld inspection. Has worked great for 3 years now.

I'm gonna go with an aftermarket, below the bumper hitch, probably just from etrailer for the ease. This is really just in case I get a bike rack, or a carrier rack, or a want to pull a small trailer some time in the future. Don't anticipate any big boat or RV. What should I look at to choose which hitch from the three at etrailer:
http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2012_Mazda_CX-9.htm
1. Hidden Hitch Class III Round Tube Receiver Hitch
2. Curt Class III Receiver Hitch
3. Draw-Tite Class III Max Frame Round Tube Receiver Hitch

I went with the Curt hitch and found it at a great price on Amazon, the install was very simple and I did not even have to remove the spare tire. I like the look just fine. I also used the OEM wiring harness, thanks to the great folks here I found that and did not have to use an aftermarket solution. It's a nice clean install and now the trailer wires don't have to hang out the tailgate when I am towing.

+1 on The Curt hitch from Amazon. It was less than $140 with free shipping (Prime)

I just bought it at the beginning of the month, and installed it in less than 45 mins by myself in my driveway.

I just wish I had the towing package to be able to pull a little more.
Very tough to find a camper less than 2000lbs, that will sleep 4 + a dog and still have room to live in.

Where did you buy the OEM wiring harness and did you install yourself? Seems daunting.

Where did you buy the OEM wiring harness and did you install yourself? Seems daunting.

The Curt wiring harness is $43 on amazon as well. I have not installed it yet as I am only using the hitch for a bike rack at the moment. I'm not sure on oem.

I plan on installing the harness one of these weekends when I have time.

I purchased the OEM harness at mazdapartscenter.com and it is a very simple install (don't remove the sub-woofer as instructed) as long as you have a model with the pre-wired plug for it in the rear. I believe the pre-wiring is standard on the GT. I had the GT so it was no problem.

I also purchased the Curt hitch from Amazon, part number 13575, cost was $133. The OEM harness I bought from mazdapartswholesale, part number 0000-8E-N13B, cost $75 including shipping. Both are really easy installs, I didn't remove the subwoofer either, it's not necessary. I don't see any benefit in going with an aftermarket wiring harness, the OEM is cheap and plug & play. Good luck!

Well, I got the Curt hitch, and while the concept of the install was simple (just line up and tighten the 8 bolts), accomplishing it was much more cumbersome. No way I could've done this without lowering the spare. And then, getting the hitch up and over the two heat shields around the tailpipe assemblies was not possible, so I had to unscrew the two bottom supports of the bumper. And then, I could not get a ratchet on two of the bolts without completely removing the spare tire crane assembly underneath.
I don't see how all the little (put it on in half an hour) posts don't mention any of those issues. But, over 2 hours later, it's on. I'm new to torque wrench use, so hope I got them all close enough. :'(

I have the Hidden Hitch.
No need to lower the spare or remove the heat shields.
You do need a jack stand or an extra pair of hands to hold it for you. That makes it easier.

I have the Hidden Hitch also. I could not figure out how to install the hitch without bending (and possibly damaging) the heat shields so I removed one side before installing. No problem then except I could not get my torque wrench on two of the passenger side bolts as the spare tire winch blocked it.

Spare tire winch made it impossible to get to two of the bolts. Was easy to remove though.

I am also looking at the aftermarket hitch receiver mostly on two brands Curt and Draw Tite on etrailer.com. Their prices are very good comparing to the OEM hitch but I do have some concerns with their design. The OEM hitch receiver is mounted on the side of the left/right frames so that the force is on the shaft of the M12 bolts. The Curt or DT receiver however is mounted to the bottom of the frames which the tongue weight will be literally on the thread of the two fastening bolts on each side(there's no specs on the size of the bolts). I'd be more confident to guess the shaft of a bolt withstands stronger force than its thread.

Last edited:
Draw-Tite supplies grade 8 bolts and 2H nuts. Plenty strong.
"A 2H heavy hex nut is used in high temperatures and greater levels of pressure, with adequate strength and engineering to withstand extreme conditions."
http://www.melfast.com/blog/2012/03/fastener-distributor-faqs-2h-hex-nut/

You're right PTguy. I found that Curt Class 3 hitch uses 1/2"-13 x 1.5 GR8 bolts and Draw Tite Class 3 uses 1/2"-13 x 1.75 GR8. According to SAE J429, they should have enough strength for the 3500lb towing capacity.

I can tell you the curt will pull my 2001 Ram (diesel - 7500lbs) with no issues. Fuel pump went out and wife towed it and trust me it wasn't the smoothest pull. I was waiting for the back half of the CX9 to rip off from not letting me in the truck stop her then taking off from a stop sign.

We also towed our 21' pontoon several times on short trips.

Honestly unless you're towing 10k pounds either will hold up longer than the rest of the vehicle. If I remember correctly the Curt does mount closer to the bumper.

20150727_222809_zpssrdd7f8r.jpg

Last edited:
I also purchased the Curt hitch from Amazon, part number 13575, cost was $133. The OEM harness I bought from mazdapartswholesale, part number 0000-8E-N13B, cost $75 including shipping. Both are really easy installs, I didn't remove the subwoofer either, it's not necessary. I don't see any benefit in going with an aftermarket wiring harness, the OEM is cheap and plug & play. Good luck!

I have the Grand Touring and Amazon sells this part: Genuine Mazda Accessories 0000-8E-N13B Class II Trailer Hitch

I can't find an illustration of where is plugs. There is a module, about 4"x5" metal box under that plastic floor pan. Is that it? How do I tell if I have the towing package?

Back