Transmission flush at 30k

grzesiuskow

:
2010 GT AWD
I got my CX-9 few weeks ago with 28k and want to do transmission flush at 30k according to "most of you guys" recommendation.
My Mazda dealer wants $160 plus tax for the job (with some kind of extra Mercon V Fluid option for an extra $40).
My local main street car mechanic (really good guy who is always working on my 02 Grand Cherokee and 02 Cadillac) can probably do the same for less, but he may not have an original Mazda parts.
so the question is:
should i just suck it up and take it to the dealer for 160 option?
should i do the 200 option with Mercon V?
give it to my local job for 100 or so?
or just skip the whole thing and wait, but if so how much longer?

Thanks

For $160, I doubt it is "flushing". It is probably
- drain and refill
- replace floorpan gasket
- replace filter
- clean magnets
Please confirm with your dealer.
Make sure he knows the difference between a "flushing" and "drain-n-refill".

It's a flush. But since cx9 needs synthetic fluid I have to do the mercon v option for extra $40. So the total with tax and all other fees will be around $230.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 508
That sounds like a good deal.
However, some here are against "flushing" transmission, saying that
it might stir up debris, causing problem immediately afterwards.
I disagree with that as long as you change fluid regularly.
IMHO, if you hit 90K, and decide to do a flush. That might be problematic.

For flushing, 30K schedule is perfect.
For drain-n-refill, you might need to do it every 15K from then on.

Just drain/refill it every 30-35k along with the transfer case and rear differential for 4WD vehicles. It's an easy job to do yourself, just like changing the oil. There isn't much for your local mechanic to screw up. Just use the right fluid, the right amount, and replace the crush washer on the drain plug every other time so it doesn't leak.

I'm new around here, so please excuse this basic question - doesn't Mazda have a recommendation for how often to change the transmission fluid? Everything I look at only mentions the rear diff, but nothing about torque converter or transmission fluid.

grzesiuskow - flushes that involve special equipment and solvents raises red flags in my eyes. I suspect much of it is snakeoil, although I don't have any evidence at hand to support it. If you have the time and the will, you might want to search the forum for additional information.

Honestly, I don't know. I haven't driven an automatic in over 10 years. Changing the differential fluid is far more important since it is a closed system with a very small amount of fluid. Mazda must mention somewhere in the manual how often the transmission fluid needs to be changed.

Yes, there is a recommended schedule for differential fluid (28K for heavy use - short trips, dusty roads, etc.)
No for transmission fluid.
Make your own decision on it.
Spend a couple hundreds now, or spend thousands later.

Hard to imagine not changing it on some regular schedule. I've never owned an automatic and don't recall what I've seen on other cars. My 2005 Subaru Legacy schedule says to "inspect" the ATF every 30k miles and that the ATF filter is maintenance free, to be replaced only if a leak occurs or is rusted or damaged.

If Mazda doesn't even specify that a fluid change is necessary, it's hard to imagine a flush (as in flushing with detergents or whatever special sauce, equipment, and procedures they use) being worthwhile. I'd probably just replace the fluid every 30-60k miles unless I had a reason to think extra caution is necessary. But I'm not a CX9 owner nor have I done a lot of reading here, so don't listen to me =)

Last edited:
Did anyone here noticed that he said the dealer wants to use mercon V. Isn't that a ford transmission fluid? I was under the impression that we can only use either the mazda jw 3309 or the toyota t-4 fluid since that is what it says on the application chart in the dealers parts dept. Can we use Mercon V. If so that is a lot cheaper for me to get.

i don't know what the recommended fluid is, but if the dealer is suggesting to use anything beyond OEM i'd find a new dealer

mercon V is ford fluid, cx-9 is based on ford edge and the 3.7 engine is based on for too, i think mercon v is ok, at least that what authorized mazda dealers use here (i called 3).

Is mercon V okay to use on an aisin transmission? There was somebody on this forum that uses toyota t-4 which is the same spec as the mazda fluid. If i remember correctly is JWS 3309. Is the Mercon V the same specs as the 3309 and t-4 fluid. I am really confused now as to which one is the correct fluid.

My manual calls for JWS-3309 ATF. To my knowledge Mercon V is not approved for that spec. Yes i know the 3.7L in the CX-9 is a bored out 3.5 Duratec, but the tranny is built by Aisin Warner, not ford. I would not use Mercon V in my tranny. I would like to see where Mazda approves it's use in the dealers that use it in these vehicles.

The only two specs i saw on the service manager's chart was JWS-3309 and T-4 fluid, which is toyota fluid. I am surprised that the person that did the flush with the toyota t4 fluid hasn't responded here yet.

ceric
Yes, there is a recommended schedule for differential fluid (28K for heavy use - short trips, dusty roads, etc.)
No for transmission fluid.
Make your own decision on it.

What is the recommend fluid for the diff?
How many quarts?
Has anyone here done it?
Anything else needed?

Talking about dusty roads, I can tell you just had a great rally trip with the cx-9. The road was curvy, very dusty with lots of rocks, sometimes very hard rocks, and had stretches of flat lanes where you could go faster. It was tough on the car, the 4wd icon appeared several times , as well as the stability control icon, but it was a blast, leaving dust behind like in the photo, pure rally.

Even found a car that had just crashed against the wall of the mountain, fortunately people were ok. There was this time the car went flying because of a formation that was on the road! Wow.

Attachments

• dust.jpg
    dust.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 201
Back